• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2024 Spring Training Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Kennedi Landry:

Bradford’s main emphasis this offseason was re-introducing the curveball to his arsenal. He threw the pitch in college at Baylor, but scrapped it after undergoing thoracic outlet syndrome surgery in 2019. At that time, he added the slider to go with his fastball and changeup.

In 2023, he supplemented his primary four-seamer with a changeup and slider. The curveball should be a quality addition this upcoming season, though he’s only thrown five total in two spring appearances.

“It’s just to have something to steal strikes with,” Bradford said. “It was a good pitch for me [in college], so I’m trying to get back to basically figuring out how to do that again. After I had the surgery, for whatever reason, it was hard for me to hold my supination and it was hard to spin the curveball. It wasn't as good as it was in college. Now I think it’s to the point where it's definitely a strike pitch.”

A diverse repertoire will only increase Bradford’s chances of being on the big league pitching staff come Opening Day. Early in camp, his development is showing. ...

“I love guys that can command the fastball, and he's as good as anybody we have at doing that,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “Of course, he’s got the good changeup and the breaking ball has just gotten better. I have to like what I'm seeing from him.”

It’s yet to be seen if Bradford will take hold of the fifth starter spot or if he will transition to the bullpen as a long-relief option. He feels comfortable out of the ‘pen, but he also emphasized that his “heart and soul” is in starting.

“[I love] the responsibility that comes with it,” he said. “I just love the dynamic of trying to play chess with guys. I really enjoy that. So as a cerebral pitcher, I'd love to be a starter. But whatever the team needs.”

Whatever happens, happens, but either way, the Rangers are confident that the young lefty can be a vital part of the big league pitching staff once again in 2024.
“He was so valuable in the bullpen,” Bochy said. “He did such a great job of being the bridge to our high-leverage guys. In fact, at times he was one of our high-leverage guys. These are things we're talking about and discussing with him. But he showed he can start, and right now, we need starters. So that is an option, and it's a good option to have.

“It's nice to have the flexibility of a Bradford, who’s comfortable doing either job. He's shown he's resilient. So nothing is set in stone yet.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen one article speculating on that, but I haven't seen any of the regular beat writers mention it.
I will take that back. I have now read this from Evan Grant:

Bochy reiterated García is not hurt. He has played in the more controlled environment of an intrasquad game. Bochy, however, did not indicate when García might appear in an exhibition.

“We’re going to continue to do that,” Bochy said. “I wouldn’t even say we’re pushing him back. This is just the plan, that he was going to start later. There’s nothing wrong.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eovaldi is doing great through 2 innings. 4 strikeouts.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe that is the second time this spring that Josh Smith has been hit. He seems to get hot a lot.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ezequiel Duran and Josh Smith both hit doubles in the 5th inning. The radio guys said Josh's double was one of the hardest hits balls this spring. Jared and Hicksie both seem to like the future for Duran and Smith.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.300 OPS for Smith currently
1.192 OPS for Duran currently.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.300 OPS for Smith currently
1.192 OPS for Duran currently.
looks mike they came with something to prove.
Love to see some video soon. Heard it was webcast today but missed it

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks mike they came with something to prove.
Love to see some video soon. Heard it was webcast today but missed it
It was available via AI controlled cameras.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like to see him against some top tier pitching
Know he fizzled last time but things can always change
The announcers wondered if he could be a late bloomer like Adolis.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The announcers wondered if he could be a late bloomer like Adolis.
And he plays some CF too.
Good to keep him around this year. And he had a very nice year last year just like Santos did
There is alot of MILB competition

Zavala may have to pick up his game

One reason if some of the other hitters are hot to keep Wyatt down a month

AJM sure loves him some Leody

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Shawn McFarland:

High-octane stuff: It started early with Nathan Eovaldi, who, in his first inning of work, reached 97 miles per hour on the Surprise Stadium radar gun. Then, in the sixth inning, came 23-year-old flamethrower Emiliano Teodo, who reached 100 mph twice in the six pitches he threw.

Diego Castillo — a veteran right-handed pitcher in camp on a non-roster deal — pitched a tidy seventh inning and reached 97 mph for a strike in his first at-bat.

“He’s been throwing well, he’s been doing a good job,” Rangers manager Bruce Bochy said of Castillo. “He’s got a good sink, a good slider. He’s throwing strikes, it’s been a good spring for him in the early part here.”

Right-hander Yerry Rodriguez pitched the eighth inning and sat 96 mph, but hit 99 mph three times.

Owen White’s Jekyl and Hyde day: The right-handed starter pitched two innings: He allowed two runs on four hits in his first and pitched a perfect frame in his second. It mirrored his first spring appearance last Friday vs. the Kansas City Royals where his second inning of work was markedly better than his first.

White, 24, is one of the several young pitchers in camp contending for major league roster consideration. His fastball sat 93-94 mph.

“I thought he threw better than what the numbers showed,” Bochy said. “Second inning he goes out there and bounced back very well. I thought he had good hop on his fastball and used all his pitches.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also from Shawn McFarland:

Jared Walsh keeps hitting: Consider Walsh, a 2021 All-Star, one of the more intriguing non-roster veterans in Texas’ camp.

The 30-year-old recorded a single and a walk on Wednesday to raise his spring training slash line to .444/.545/.444 in four games. He hit .277 with 29 home runs for the Los Angeles Angels in 2019, but nuerological disorders slowed his career in 2022 and 2023.

Texas already has a pretty good first baseman in the Silver Slugger, Gold Glove-winning Nathaniel Lowe, but with a competition for time at the designated hitter position ongoing, Walsh could potentially play his way into some level of consideration.

“Good at bats, he’s a good defender over there,” Bochy said. “He’s had a good spring, too. He has a lot of energy, it’s been fun to watch him. I’ve seen him from the other side, he’s done a good job.”