• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wooton a Vike.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have liked Wooten back but he is not a better player than young. For 1.5mil he should be on our roster but we clearly upgraded with young. Young is a better run defender also, so whoever said Wooten is better is wrong. Young finished last season 2nd in the league in run stop percentage behind only Lamarr Houston. Clearly emery is trying to fix the run defense. Oh and one more thing, Young graded out as the 16th best overall DE. 3years 9mil, we stole him.

I like Young's upside and youth. With that said, a part of me thinks he may have benefited greatly by playing next to Suh and Fairley.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Young's upside and youth. With that said, a part of me thinks he may have benefited greatly by playing next to Suh and Fairley.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

The way he played a wide-9 I don't think it really mattered, no interior lineman could help with that wide set up, unless you're meaning qb's scrambled into him avoiding Sue and lay.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in what universe?

Woot is every bit as good as W. Young, and probably better against the run.

He was BY FAR our most productive player on the dline last year.

Willie Young is better than Wotten in every phase of defensive play and will only get better. It was a good pickup by the Bears

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wooten......IMO....Is not a better DE than Young....he would not be a starter unless there was an injury.....He had a hip injury and won't be ready until June.

I guess that's a matter of opinion.
Young was working on a D-line , which contained 2 beast DTs.
Wooton on the other hand was forced to DT instead of his natural pos. DE.
I'm not a stats guy. But I think Wooton actually got to the QB more often than Young when he played DE spot. Fuck the hurries. Corey actually made made game changing plays. By actually hitting the QB and causing a TO.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears D started the season out fine. Injuries and lack of depth took its toll. I'm for all for scrapping the D and starting over...but I'd start with the D coordinator, that's never done anything to warrant employment in the NFL. I would also try to have a plan to support this overhaul. Right now, the plan looks a little iffy. Time will tell, if the chances taken on replacements, such as Houston, etc. will pay off.

I definitely like us getting younger on D, but that D-line needs to vastly improve. Particularly inside.

Sorry 07. That's probably the 2nd or 3rd time I've read the Bears D started off fine. They gave up 21 or more in every contest. That's not fine in my book.
I agree w/ the questions about Mel though.:suds:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have liked Wooten back but he is not a better player than young. For 1.5mil he should be on our roster but we clearly upgraded with young. Young is a better run defender also, so whoever said Wooten is better is wrong. Young finished last season 2nd in the league in run stop percentage behind only Lamarr Houston. Clearly emery is trying to fix the run defense. Oh and one more thing, Young graded out as the 16th best overall DE. 3years 9mil, we stole him.

We could have had both. Wouldn't that have made our D better? I was an Izzy fan . But would like to have Wooton in the rotation . He would have cost more. But having 3 young DEs is better than 2, and 1 that might have something left in the tank.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Sorry 07. That's probably the 2nd or 3rd time I've read the Bears D started off fine. They gave up 21 or more in every contest. That's not fine in my book.
I agree w/ the questions about Mel though.:suds:

I thought they started off pretty well last season. 21 from the Bengals isn't bad, 14 of those points in the Vikes game had nothing whatsoever to do with the defense, yeah they gave up 23 to Pittsburgh but they also forced 5 turnovers, and then the wheels started to come off the bus.

Rocinante

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's a matter of opinion.
Young was working on a D-line , which contained 2 beast DTs.
Wooton on the other hand was forced to DT instead of his natural pos. DE.
I'm not a stats guy. But I think Wooton actually got to the QB more often than Young when he played DE spot. Fuck the hurries. Corey actually made made game changing plays. By actually hitting the QB and causing a TO.

Your argument is flawed. On one hand you dismiss Young's production because he played with Suh and Fairley and then you turn around and credit Wootten for his production the previous year while not mentioning that he played on the same line as Peppers and Melton.

And you can't quote: "Fuck the hurries" because they don't support your argument that Wootton is a better D-Lineman than Young. Hurries are valuable. Maybe not as valuable as sacks, but Wootton hasn't exactly tore it up in that category in the two years he's been a starter. And I know he hasn't tore it up in the hurry department.

Wootton is an average D-Lineman and personally I'm not upset the Bears decided to move on. Especially at that 2M dollar price tag. Will it really be hard to replace 27 tackles/7 sacks/1 pass defensed and 2 forced fumbles? That was his production when he started at DE in 2012. Outside of the sacks, he only had 3 last year, he actually performed slightly better last year playing DT.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they started off pretty well last season. 21 from the Bengals isn't bad, 14 of those points in the Vikes game had nothing whatsoever to do with the defense, yeah they gave up 23 to Pittsburgh but they also forced 5 turnovers, and then the wheels started to come off the bus.

Hell I just watched the Cincy game for the Umpteen time .
There was zero pass rush in that game. Much of that had to do W/Mels game planning. From what I've read he wanted the D-Lineman to protect passing lanes. That's bullshit in my book. Yeah, I read where Mel expected a quick passing game from Cincy. But what the fuck. Don't DBs have responsibilities as well as the D-line?
Hence my dislike for Mel Tucker. It only took 1 frickin game.
They started off well if you consider Peanut getting torched for 2 40+yrd pass plays. 1 a catch, 1 a PI.
Which lead to 14 points. He also caught a bomb when covered by Jennings for a score.
The Bears to me had no priority of shutting down AJ Green. Cincy's biggest weapon.
Hell, I probably could have drew up a better game plan D wise.
I'll admit the run D was pretty good in that game.
But to say the D looked good in that game, is borderline homer.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your argument is flawed. On one hand you dismiss Young's production because he played with Suh and Fairley and then you turn around and credit Wootten for his production the previous year while not mentioning that he played on the same line as Peppers and Melton.

And you can't quote: "Fuck the hurries" because they don't support your argument that Wootton is a better D-Lineman than Young. Hurries are valuable. Maybe not as valuable as sacks, but Wootton hasn't exactly tore it up in that category in the two years he's been a starter. And I know he hasn't tore it up in the hurry department.

Wootton is an average D-Lineman and personally I'm not upset the Bears decided to move on. Especially at that 2M dollar price tag. Will it really be hard to replace 27 tackles/7 sacks/1 pass defensed and 2 forced fumbles? That was his production when he started at DE in 2012. Outside of the sacks, he only had 3 last year, he actually performed slightly better last year playing DT.

I won't argue w/u. Just think Wooton has gotten better every year that he's been here. watched him make game changing plays. And is a good character guy. I really know shit about Young . Watched him twice a year and still don't no shit about him . Except what is printed about him.
Just think we could have had both. I have no argument about the Young signing.We need bodies.
Just think Corey would fit the puzzle just fine.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Hell I just watched the Cincy game for the Umpteen time .
There was zero pass rush in that game. Much of that had to do W/Mels game planning. From what I've read he wanted the D-Lineman to protect passing lanes. That's bullshit in my book. Yeah, I read where Mel expected a quick passing game from Cincy. But what the fuck. Don't DBs have responsibilities as well as the D-line?
Hence my dislike for Mel Tucker. It only took 1 frickin game.
They started off well if you consider Peanut getting torched for 2 40+yrd pass plays. 1 a catch, 1 a PI.
Which lead to 14 points. He also caught a bomb when covered by Jennings for a score.
The Bears to me had no priority of shutting down AJ Green. Cincy's biggest weapon.
Hell, I probably could have drew up a better game plan D wise.
I'll admit the run D was pretty good in that game.
But to say the D looked good in that game, is borderline homer.

I didn't say "throttled them" but that they played pretty good, and I still think so. Here's what I think you are missing. The rush defense (which was the Bears D primary weakness last year) totally shut Cincy down. The defense also got 3 turnovers, which is pretty strong. Yes they allowed Dalton to have a decent game, but aside from the 2 plays you mentioned, even their passing game was mostly dinky short passes and generally ineffective in scoring points. You take those couple of plays out, the Bears basically shut them down. Look at all the 3-and-outs.

No, they didn't dominate, but they played pretty well, and I am pretty sure neither you nor I would have done a better job as D coordinator. Cincy had one of the best offenses in the league last year in terms of scoring points (they were 2nd in the whole AFC). I think you are being a tad harsh. And do I usually come across as "too homerish"? I don't know, I have my sentimentality too I guess.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say "throttled them" but that they played pretty good, and I still think so. Here's what I think you are missing. The rush defense (which was the Bears D primary weakness last year) totally shut Cincy down. The defense also got 3 turnovers, which is pretty strong. Yes they allowed Dalton to have a decent game, but aside from the 2 plays you mentioned, even their passing game was mostly dinky short passes and generally ineffective in scoring points. You take those couple of plays out, the Bears basically shut them down. Look at all the 3-and-outs.

No, they didn't dominate, but they played pretty well, and I am pretty sure neither you nor I would have done a better job as D coordinator. Cincy had one of the best offenses in the league last year in terms of scoring points (they were 2nd in the whole AFC). I think you are being a tad harsh. And do I usually come across as "too homerish"? I don't know, I have my sentimentality too I guess.

1rst bold, I mentioned the run D was pretty good.
2nd bold, Anybody playing Cincy knows you can't let AJ Geen beat you. I'd have had him double teamed when he got off the frikin bus.
I understand the PI on Tillman . The Bears D wasn't set. And Dalton went to quick snap.
But where the fuck were the safeties on the other 2 bombs.
Oh , they were falling for ball fakes. That's really good D play.