• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wooton a Vike.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly for 1.5 mil, incentives can get him 2 mil.
This pisses me off. He was very affordable . And a pretty good DE. Just think his best years are ahead of him.
I like Izzy , but of the 2 , I'd have to go Wooton. What the fuck is going on here?
Somebody tell me how this is in the Bears best interest.

Rocinante

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that affordable for a backup DE? Or would you rather pay a guy 1/4 of that total to pretty much do the same thing? I honestly don't see a difference between the two players other than Wooten is younger and seems to be more prone to injury. Personally I think the Bears will be able to survive the loss of his production or lack thereof. People getting upset because we didn't bring back players from a historically bad defense is silly to me. Change is good.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that affordable for a backup DE? Or would you rather pay a guy 1/4 of that total to pretty much do the same thing? I honestly don't see a difference between the two players other than Wooten is younger and seems to be more prone to injury. Personally I think the Bears will be able to survive the loss of his production or lack thereof. People getting upset because we didn't bring back players from a historically bad defense is silly to me. Change is good.

JMO, I think Wooton is better than Young. He's better than Izzy.
He'd be our starting DE.
Bringing back good players is important to me. The guy who was a pretty good DE , played Dt for most of the year. Which questions my thoughts about Mel & Phil. They put him in that position.
So now they don't resign a good player. Because Shea couldn't play DE spot. Looks to me ,as somebody is trying to cover his ass.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wooten......IMO....Is not a better DE than Young....he would not be a starter unless there was an injury.....He had a hip injury and won't be ready until June.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seems to me the Bears thought he was gonna be in the 3-4 million range and really learned a lesson about insulting players like they did urlacher. He moved inside, he did a decent job for us and for 1.5 million it sure seems like he should still be here.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Clearly he panicked. If he had simply waited longer he would have gotten more money. I bet his agent isn't pleased.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woot is every bit as good as W. Young, and probably better against the run.

He was BY FAR our most productive player on the dline last year.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defensive turnover this year is a bit shocking. I mean, I knew it'd happen, but I didn't think it would be gutted quite this bad.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seems to me the Bears thought he was gonna be in the 3-4 million range and really learned a lesson about insulting players like they did urlacher. He moved inside, he did a decent job for us and for 1.5 million it sure seems like he should still be here.

Melton's quoted as saying that Bears' brass never even made him an offer, claiming they said, that "they don't do business that way", and they wait to discover the respective players "market" first.

Sounds nice, but it also sounds like a way to lose a lot of players, without ever even being in the running.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly he panicked. If he had simply waited longer he would have gotten more money. I bet his agent isn't pleased.
Are you his agent? Lol- cause didn't you say he would get $4M?
It's possible he could have gotten more, but these guys one year/low offer guys know that if they don't sign, that team is just going to go to someone else. It's not like the Vikings are going to wait for him or up the ante. They would just pay that same deal to a different rotational DE.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woot is every bit as good as W. Young, and probably better against the run.
He was BY FAR our most productive player on the dline last year.

The defensive turnover this year is a bit shocking. I mean, I knew it'd happen, but I didn't think it would be gutted quite this bad.

This is something I have heard and seen from a lot of Bears fans this offseason- and I just don't understand it.
All season long we wrote, screamed, yelled, bitched about how bad this defense is.
I'm all for being supportive of guys and having favorite players...but this is a bit much.

I've seen people complain about losing: Peppers, Melton, Wootten, Hester, (even seen a post on another site about the need to resign Major Wright!)... My question: If the defense was THE WORST in BEARS HISTORY- Why do we want to bring EVERYONE back? Wootten was a good guy- a NW guy. That's nice. He didn't get it done in his four years as a Bear.

This also goes to the Lovie Smith firing- EVERYONE seemed to be done with Smiths act- and his non-playoff appearances. He had 9 years- and didn't get it done. Good coach, was given 9 seasons. It was time to move on. But now that he's in Tampa, people think his act is going to work there?
Prediction: Lovie has a good defense with a bend/don't break thing- his offense will "get of the bus running" and his record will be a consistent 9-7, 8-8, 10-6, 7-9... He will foul up challenge calls and not talk to the media or fans.

I'm happy with Change. We knew what the old teams did... It wasn't enough.
At the very least: We don't know what is going to happen. Could be a crash and burn, but it could be everything we are hoping for. Change is good. Go Bears!

C

cubzzzfanincali

Are you his agent? Lol- cause didn't you say he would get $4M?
It's possible he could have gotten more, but these guys one year/low offer guys know that if they don't sign, that team is just going to go to someone else. It's not like the Vikings are going to wait for him or up the ante. They would just pay that same deal to a different rotational DE.

Haha I wish. Let me put it this way....any universe in which Corey Wootton gets money between Matt Shaughnessy and Frostee Rucker is a weird one. It screams "panic and just get me a contract, any contract." I bet if he waited until he could workout he would have easily gotten double.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something I have heard and seen from a lot of Bears fans this offseason- and I just don't understand it.
All season long we wrote, screamed, yelled, bitched about how bad this defense is.
I'm all for being supportive of guys and having favorite players...but this is a bit much.

I've seen people complain about losing: Peppers, Melton, Wootten, Hester, (even seen a post on another site about the need to resign Major Wright!)... My question: If the defense was THE WORST in BEARS HISTORY- Why do we want to bring EVERYONE back? Wootten was a good guy- a NW guy. That's nice. He didn't get it done in his four years as a Bear.

This also goes to the Lovie Smith firing- EVERYONE seemed to be done with Smiths act- and his non-playoff appearances. He had 9 years- and didn't get it done. Good coach, was given 9 seasons. It was time to move on. But now that he's in Tampa, people think his act is going to work there?
Prediction: Lovie has a good defense with a bend/don't break thing- his offense will "get of the bus running" and his record will be a consistent 9-7, 8-8, 10-6, 7-9... He will foul up challenge calls and not talk to the media or fans.

I'm happy with Change. We knew what the old teams did... It wasn't enough.
At the very least: We don't know what is going to happen. Could be a crash and burn, but it could be everything we are hoping for. Change is good. Go Bears!

The Bears D started the season out fine. Injuries and lack of depth took its toll. I'm for all for scrapping the D and starting over...but I'd start with the D coordinator, that's never done anything to warrant employment in the NFL. I would also try to have a plan to support this overhaul. Right now, the plan looks a little iffy. Time will tell, if the chances taken on replacements, such as Houston, etc. will pay off.

I definitely like us getting younger on D, but that D-line needs to vastly improve. Particularly inside.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears were missing their best players at the three respective defensive levels.

Melton up front, Briggs 2nd level, and Peanut in the 3rd. Couple that with the D-line dropping like flies, and a couple of DTs bailing before the season even started(Ellis, McBride) Bears D really stood no chance last year with the lack of front four, and inexperience at LB. The Safeties took a lot of the heat(and deservedly so) but the front 7 was woeful and that pretty much automatically makes your safeties suck.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bears can land a couple of day-one starters on the D, like they did on the O this last year, I would be stoked.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, Emery can not afford to "miss" like he did with Shea. He needs to hit on a few picks and a few development guys who can start in a year or two.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears D started the season out fine. Injuries and lack of depth took its toll. I'm for all for scrapping the D and starting over...but I'd start with the D coordinator, that's never done anything to warrant employment in the NFL. I would also try to have a plan to support this overhaul. Right now, the plan looks a little iffy. Time will tell, if the chances taken on replacements, such as Houston, etc. will pay off.

I definitely like us getting younger on D, but that D-line needs to vastly improve. Particularly inside.

Yeah, we hired the D Coordinator from the worst defense in the nfl, with the lack of talent excuse. You have a head coach that is all offense, with no need for a per say offensive coordinator, you would think they would move to an assistant head coach defensive coordinator.

The scary part is its pretty hard to be worse than last year, so that would show improvement and keeping the system in place again.

trier33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wooten

I would have liked Wooten back but he is not a better player than young. For 1.5mil he should be on our roster but we clearly upgraded with young. Young is a better run defender also, so whoever said Wooten is better is wrong. Young finished last season 2nd in the league in run stop percentage behind only Lamarr Houston. Clearly emery is trying to fix the run defense. Oh and one more thing, Young graded out as the 16th best overall DE. 3years 9mil, we stole him.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hate to see wooten walk, he has played solid for us the whole time,