• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wk 5 vs Jets

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shabazz reminds me of a poor-mans Artie Burns... Athletically gifted, but doesn't have the premier speed of Burns. Should see some ST work this week. Haven't heard much about Feiler this offseason.

From my offseason position previews:

Shabazz:

Feiler:

I had been expecting Feiler to get called up...a very surprised Harris went on IR...Golson...eventually it was going to happen...couldn't afford to keep carrying him on the 53 and getting nothing.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it is you can advertise Nike, but not someone you choose. That said, AB is pushing the envelop...this is his third time this year being told he has to change his shoes or be pulled...his kids pic, Arnold Palmer, and now Ali.

Get with the program AB! We need you on the field!

I agree, but it's a pair of shoes!!!!
Last year they pitched a bitch over Heyward's eye black....they threaten these guys over little shit, yet can't get the bigger shit right. :L

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching… Good game plan from Haley. As we discussed, the quick pass dink & dunk offense was on full display. All the while Ben was still taking plenty of shots downfield. Drives fizzled throughout the game because of missed connections with the deep ball, but overall the plan worked fairly efficiently. Ben was only sacked once because of that plan. So kudos to Haley & Tomlin. Also worth noting, only 1 penalty this week for 10yds. Love seein that!

QB… Ben was doin work today. 380 & 4 TDs, spreading the ball around quite well like we know he can. When he’s on fire like he is lately and the O-line is doin a good job protecting him, skys the limit for this offense.

RB… Big day from Bell. Racked up 154 all-purpose yards, including a career-high 9 receptions. Great job of staying patient behind the line and waiting for the seems to open up.

WR… Coates had a few frustrating drops. Started pad catching a little bit, but overall a great game. He continues to provide the legitimate deep threat across from AB that this offense needs. 6 catches to the tune of 139yds, averaging a whopping 23yds per catch. Great work from AB & Bell in the passing game as well. Wheaton even chipped in a couple solid 2nd & 3rd down conversions for 1sts.

TE... Solid contribution all around. Obviously James is earning Ben's full trust. DJ is a menace in the blocking game. Nix's return doesn't look nearly as perilous as it once did.

O-line… Incredible job today. The sack-fumble wasn’t their fault. Ben held the ball too long in a collapsing pocket. But still, holding that great D-line to 1 sack on the day was amazing! The quick passes were gassing their D-line and making the O-line’s job easy. Still it was evident that the O-line was winning the majority of their assignments.

D-line… Outside of that 28yd gash from Forte, the run game was shut down. Jets abandoned the run game around the 3rd qtr. Pressure was there all game long too. Even without Heyward.

LB… 3 sacks generated (2 solo, 1 combo). Chick, V-Will, Timmons & Moats on the action. Another solid outing from Vinny. 8 tackles, 1 assist. Kid is earning every penny of his contract.

DB… Cockrell channeled his inner Ike Taylor missing a big INT opportunity on that Marshall TD. Would have been a great play if he made the INT, but the ball went right through his hands and off his helmet into Marshall’s hands. Hate seeing that sort of stuff happen, but Cockrell was pretty solid for the rest of the game. Great coverage from Gay, Mitchell, Dangerfield & Burns as well. Secondary was sound for the most part.

ST… Botched FG early on was a headache. But Boswell was a solid 4/4 on XPs & 1/1 on FGs (could have been 2/2). Berry was doin good pinning the Jets inside their 20. Would have been great to see more inside the 10, but better safe than sorry. Great coverage today as well.

Injuries of note… Heyward left in the 1st half and did not return. Hammy pull by the looks of it. He’s someone this defense cannot afford to lose. Next man up mentality has worked so far, but the loss of a captain & emotional cog for that unit will hurt big time. Hope the hammy isn’t a tear. Keep your fingers crossed. Heard Coates hurt his finger. Not sure how serious that is.

Overall… It wasn’t the prettiest of wins, but it was solid team effort. Jets are a floundering team so don’t take too much solace out of the win today. Main thing to be happy about is Tomlin finally won against a team they “should” easily beat. Offense was 5/10 on 3rd downs today. Not as worrisome when you consider they netted 433 total yards of offense, and were ¾ in the RZ. They did most of their damage on 1st & 2nd downs. Still, there were quite a few drives that stalled out which can’t happen against better teams. Defense is playing well, albeit against questionable opponents. We shall see what they are really made of in week 7 against NE. I like how Butler has turned up the heat though. Even with the unit being as short-handed as they are, Butler is not shying away from being aggressive. Also worth noting that the tackling seems to be getting a lot better.

Outlook… This team is on a roll and could be looking at 5-1 for the showdown with the Pats in week 7. They absolutely cannot overlook the Fins next week though. Fins are banged up all across the board, but so are the Steelers. PIT might be getting a few players back this week: Golden, Shazier, Rogers & Nix. Miami hasn't been playing well at all. Coming off a deflating loss against the Titans I'm sure they'll have their backs against the wall looking for a desperation win. Expect Tannehill to come out slinging it.

Great job Face!

You've covered just about everything and spot on as usual.

My tidbits.

OFC...4 of 5...a few drops and a few 3 & outs kept it from being a 5. Let's face it, we all feared Hubbard's performance in this game, but he was more than solid...actually played very well according to PFF. Bell in the passing game was a beast...Darron Lee is going to be a good one, but he's not the coverage guru yet.

DEF...4.5 of 5...Jets made a few plays, but basically were allowed one good drive all day. Only 3 sacks, I was hoping for a few more vs the statuesque Fitz, but several QB hits in this game. Butler turned the boys loose. Tannehill is anything but a statue this week.

ST...4 of 5....overall good job.

Summary...as Face mentioned...good to see a Tomlin team handle a team they were supposed to beat. I was a little concerned about the OL vs a strong DL...it was a non-factor.

My 1st game watching via the stream and it wasn't bad....game are in 720p so not a clear as normal. My only complaint was I couldn't pull it up on the TV browser...MIA probably won't be on local TV either so I have a week to figure that out!

4-1 and looking pretty good...I do have a feeling Heyward is going to miss some time so we can expect a lot more snaps from Matthew, Walton and maybe a few more from Hargrave as well if that's the case.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but it's a pair of shoes!!!!
Last year they pitched a bitch over Heyward's eye black....they threaten these guys over little shit, yet can't get the bigger shit right. :L
Not to mention the NFL fining Willie Gay for supporting domestic violence awareness (purple cleats) or not giving DeAngelo Williams permission to support breast cancer awareness. Can't remember what D-Will tried to do or did, but it had something to do with breast cancer awareness and the NFL came down on him.

NFL has problems. The No Fun League. I expect that to change at some point, because there's simply no exact set of limitations to follow. Even if there are, seems like there's a lot of grey areas that need to be defined.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great job Face!

You've covered just about everything and spot on as usual.

My tidbits.

OFC...4 of 5...a few drops and a few 3 & outs kept it from being a 5. Let's face it, we all feared Hubbard's performance in this game, but he was more than solid...actually played very well according to PFF. Bell in the passing game was a beast...Darron Lee is going to be a good one, but he's not the coverage guru yet.

DEF...4.5 of 5...Jets made a few plays, but basically were allowed one good drive all day. Only 3 sacks, I was hoping for a few more vs the statuesque Fitz, but several QB hits in this game. Butler turned the boys loose. Tannehill is anything but a statue this week.

ST...4 of 5....overall good job.

Summary...as Face mentioned...good to see a Tomlin team handle a team they were supposed to beat. I was a little concerned about the OL vs a strong DL...it was a non-factor.

My 1st game watching via the stream and it wasn't bad....game are in 720p so not a clear as normal. My only complaint was I couldn't pull it up on the TV browser...MIA probably won't be on local TV either so I have a week to figure that out!

4-1 and looking pretty good...I do have a feeling Heyward is going to miss some time so we can expect a lot more snaps from Matthew, Walton and maybe a few more from Hargrave as well if that's the case.
Good notes ATL!

Def... Definitely hoped for more, but considering how many backups they have logging significant snaps out there, I'm happy with the results. I think I read they had 10 QB hits? Not sure if I'm remembering that right, but I know the numbers clearly supported the fact that the pressure was there for the most part. Interested to see if they do any shuffling along the D-line if Heyward can't go. Would be cool to see them push Hargrave outside & let McCullers log more snaps. Matthews is a capable backup, but I think keeping Hargrave out there would be the better way to go. Especially since the NT hardly sees the field as it is, so that might give us a really good look at what Hargrave brings. Coach Mitchell loves his versatile guys so I wouldn't be surprised to see some different looks this week if Heyward misses the game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good notes ATL!

Def... Definitely hoped for more, but considering how many backups they have logging significant snaps out there, I'm happy with the results. I think I read they had 10 QB hits? Not sure if I'm remembering that right, but I know the numbers clearly supported the fact that the pressure was there for the most part. Interested to see if they do any shuffling along the D-line if Heyward can't go. Would be cool to see them push Hargrave outside & let McCullers log more snaps. Matthews is a capable backup, but I think keeping Hargrave out there would be the better way to go. Especially since the NT hardly sees the field as it is, so that might give us a really good look at what Hargrave brings. Coach Mitchell loves his versatile guys so I wouldn't be surprised to see some different looks this week if Heyward misses the game.

QB hits...yeah they were lighting him up and had more chances at sacks...J Jones of all people may have gotten the best lick on Fitz.

I hope I'm wrong, but not revealing the MRI results have me thinking Cam will be out a few weeks to a month...saying it again...I hope I'm wrong.

That said, if that is the case, for this next game I expect Hargave to start at DE, and Matthews to rotate on both sides...and McCullers to pick a few more snaps in base @ the NT.