• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the 8th pick the Pittsburgh Pirates select

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree, crow, no reason to blow the budget. He isn't that good. But it is interesting, Appel has much, much less leverage than Giolito, who would have been a really tough sign. Wonder if the Nats will be able to sign him.

Not likely unless they are willing to give up their next 2the first rounders and pay the tax. However if he is still injured, he may be inclined to sign. Heck i would still sign him for our slot bonus.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to give the MLB a nice large middle finger right now. Evening the playing field my left foot.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because they've taken away the only way the Pirates can compete in this league is by drafting. They can't attract FAs like the big market teams, and they won't put up that much money in guys that are second level. The draft is how they get their talent. Look at the team make up right now, the true talent is from the draft. Beyond talent it's how get chips for trades. But now they're restricted to the point where they have to decide to sign this guy, who likely wants more than his slot value, and not sign some of the other talent they draft, or pay the penalty in the future. This helps the big teams that could care less about the draft...do the Yankees really need to draft well? Not really. They can sign the best FAs every year.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because they've taken away the only way the Pirates can compete in this league is by drafting. They can't attract FAs like the big market teams, and they won't put up that much money in guys that are second level. The draft is how they get their talent. Look at the team make up right now, the true talent is from the draft. Beyond talent it's how get chips for trades. But now they're restricted to the point where they have to decide to sign this guy, who likely wants more than his slot value, and not sign some of the other talent they draft, or pay the penalty in the future. This helps the big teams that could care less about the draft...do the Yankees really need to draft well? Not really. They can sign the best FAs every year.

If we don't sign him we lose the $2.9 million from our budget, so it isn't like we can re-allocate those funds. He'll sign, likely for right around slot, or a little more. He will not kill us, which is the point of slotting. I really don't think it will be that big of an issue, we may not be able to stockpile 2 top 15 talents every year, but in all honesty and fairness, that was not fair either. No team should be able to do that.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other positive here is that at least they didn't go for the "Bryan Bullington" due to signability.....I am glad they went for the best player (or perceived best player).

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't see many scenarios in which any team would sacrifice future picks to sign a guy this year.

The downside is more with the high school guys who have the leverage of just going to college. Appel doesn't have quite so much leverage. If we had drafted Giolito, then I would be worried.

But, I agree overall, the new draft rules are not helping the Pirates. But I think it is still up in the air about how much.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the competitive balance lottery starts next year, that will help alot imo. Plus, the big market teams wont get 5 comp picks every year.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i see a lot of hand-wringing about the slot system. Perhaps it will prevent the Pirates from signing Appel. Maybe.

But maybe the Pirates will get Appel at 3.5 mill or so? Maybe they'll also sign some of their tougher 1a-10 picks near their slot? The players aren't expected to get as much this year as they did last, but neither will they in the following year either. (aside from the top high school players) It's entirely possible (and likely imo) that the Pirates will once again be able to sign who they wanted, but will only spend 7 million instead of 12 million.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems that we need to wait-and-see how the new rules are gonna play out. Clearly, there are risks on both sides. At this point, I see only two sure things:

1. Draft classes will cost less.

2. Draftees who sign (even top-end guys) should see some professional action this year, due to the earlier signing deadline..... and that's gotta be a good thing.

I'm guessing that we'll see more guys go unsigned than has been typical in the past..... at least those who have other options. I agree with those posters who have suggested that most teams, in most situations, will refuse to forfeit future draft picks. A team MIGHT make an exception and overspend for a draft pick like a Strasburg or a Harper..... but then again, maybe not. That'll probably come down to how much of a "sure thing" the team believes the prospect is..... and we've all seen "sure things" fail.

What might happen with the Pirates and Appel? It seems possible that he will reject the max that the Bucs can offer and play independent ball for a year, betting that he'll go higher in next year's draft and thus command more slot money. Obviously, he risks injury, poor performance, or falling in a stronger draft class..... as well as losing a year's worth of salary in his professional prime. Everything is a trade-off.

And who knows what kind of rabbit Boras may try to pull out of his hat? It wouldn't surprise me to see Boras attempt to break the new draft rules through some kind of legal action.

At any rate, the upcoming couple of months should prove interesting to die-hard baseball fans.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Correa signed already. 4.8 million. Thats 2.4 million below slot btw.
Zimmer also signed. 3.0 million. Thats 0.5 million below slot.

Boras called the new draft system a "mockery". Boras can stomp his feet all he wants but he shouldnt expect too much money for appel. I think its safe to say that correa wouldve been higher on lots of draft boards including potentially our own so imho 4.8 is the absolute maximum that boras could ask for with a straight face. Who knows with him though...
Zimmer is a comparable talent who was drafted ahead of appel. Arguing that appel deserves more than zimmer took is going to be difficult. If all parties are reasonable then appels bonus will start with thr number 3.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a really great sign, Illinest. Unless Appel is completely opposed to entering the Pirates' system (too many guys ahead of him in Cole, Taillon, Heredia; doesn't like the regimen used to develop pitchers, simply doesn't want to be associated with the Pirates or their losing streak, etc.), he should sign at a reasonable price based on those numbers. I would look for something in the $3.8-4.2 million range.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hopefully we can get our guys in and playing this summer.
i hate the past issues and players missing the whole summer of development after the draft.
we can't fall behind and hopefully the energy around our recent performance will fuel early signing and get back on the field.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Questions and thoughts.....

The Pirates are faced with some interesting choices. (I have no idea how this will play out.)

What will their strategy be? How much slot money can they save with the rest of their top 10 round picks?

With Appel's slot money at $2.9 mill, i'll be shocked if the Bucs wind up being able to offer him more than $3.5 mill.

Will they go aggressively after the remainder of their top 10 picks? Kinda hard to be aggressive when trying to sign people for under-slot money.

Since it seems VERY likely that Boras will do his usual thing and resist negotiating until the deadline..... the Pirates can't afford to wait on Appel and Boras. Seems like they MUST try to sign their other top 10 round picks as quickly as they can..... to see how much they have left to offer Appel. On the other hand, if they do that, and the bonuses of the other guys are publicized (as they no doubt will be), Boras will know EXACTLY how much Appel can get without the Pirates forfeiting draft picks in upcoming years.

I gotta believe the Pirates will be better off signing their 2-through-10 picks and getting the #9 pick in next year's draft for Appel not signing (in addition to their regular slot)..... rather than forfeiting anything to sign Appel. And he and Boras gotta know that. I'd be inclined to offer him slot money on a take-it-or-leave-it basis, and tell them the offer might DROP at the deadline, depending on what it takes to sign the other draft picks..... and work aggressively to sign picks #2 through #10..... and let the chips fall where they may.