• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the 15th pick in the 1st Round, Broncos select Jerry Jeudy, Wr, Alabama

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do expect Jeudy to be the #2WR immediately.

it’s always seemed unfair to me to label a WR starter as #2. I mean, do we call Bolles our #1 OT and Jones our #2 OT? Nah, we say our staring LT and starting RT. There are two, and often three starting WRs. Yet we call one guy #1, another guy #3, and if the third guy, the slot receiver.

If Jeudy has better stats than Sutton this year, is Sutton simply old #2 WR? I think you get my point. It’s just something I’ve always thought a bit unfair to one position.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it’s always seemed unfair to me to label a WR starter as #2. I mean, do we call Bolles our #1 OT and Jones our #2 OT? Nah, we say our staring LT and starting RT. There are two, and often three starting WRs. Yet we call one guy #1, another guy #3, and if the third guy, the slot receiver.

If Jeudy has better stats than Sutton this year, is Sutton simply old #2 WR? I think you get my point. It’s just something I’ve always thought a bit unfair to one position.

So we should stop referring to you as the number 6 poster in this forum?

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think of the numbers as roles they play. #1 is the guy that you always want out there unless the formation dictates no WR at all. #2 has a skill set that compliments #1. #3 is situational, and the rest are back ups that may come in at any time. It's also the only position that you might have six different guys using the same label of WR so it helps to differentiate.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watching JJ's highlights I only have one concern.

Will he be able to create the separation he needs at this level right off the bat?

He's by far one of the best route runners, and knows most of the routes. Hopefully that translates into instant success.

Long term, after year two or three, he'll be our #1 I think.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watching JJ's highlights I only have one concern.

Will he be able to create the separation he needs at this level right off the bat?

He's by far one of the best route runners, and knows most of the routes. Hopefully that translates into instant success.

Long term, after year two or three, he'll be our #1 I think.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think he will pass up Sutton for #1?

This feels a lot like DT/Sanders to me.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think he will pass up Sutton for #1?

This feels a lot like DT/Sanders to me.

Depends on how things go. Could Denver pass on signing Sutton to a second contract because of Jeudy? May depend if they have another big body WR they like.

Right now it seems unlikely that Jeudy would pass Sutton to be the #1 here, or that Sutton is not signed to a second contract because of Jeudy.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple former WRs have said two things you need at the NFL level. Get off man press and create separation at the top of the route. I like his chances to succeed.

I watched a highlight where he caught a 10 yard fade near the sideline, the defender was closing the gap from a 45 degrees and Jerry from a full sprint stop dead stood there as the defender ran right by him and he scooted the last 10 yards into the end zone. However his right foot when he planted to stop touch the out of bound. His cutting ability is out of this world.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is his cutting ability. Check out 1:10

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thing I worry about with Jerry Jeudy is someone crashing into him one of those times he's making a crazy move and turning his leg into a windmill hazard at putt putt.

That's always the worry with finesse players, but many of them do have long and great careers - so it is an over worry.

What you can't see from the highlights is how Jeudy handles press coverage. I do expect the Broncos have scouted that and saw some good examples of trying to cover him that way in the SEC. What makes Jeudy hard to press cover is because he is so quick and so well balanced - he only needs to learn how to get the CB matched up with him off balance and then eat him up on a deep ball.

I think Jeudy will be a sensation. Just remember, though, in the debate about Sutton and Jeudy - that Sutton had a 17 yard average per reception in the NFL and Jeudy had 16 yards per reception at Alabama. Sutton had a better season last year than Jeudy at a higher level of play. Jeudy allows the Broncos to present 2 kinds of problems for the defense to defense - this is a matchup advantage for the Broncos - or should be.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by the optimistic wr class success on here, many of you have already have crowned Lock as the new Messiah for Denver. 4-1 vs mostly if not all non-playoff teams, hardly spells " franchise " Qb at this point. Got to see a lot more from him before I can speak to the wr success.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is easier to be successful with weapons. Denver has loaded up on weapons to help Lock be successful, but remember many a WR and TE do not show their potential at the NFL level until year 2. Am I excited for the 2020 season? Yes, but I think this team takes the step to true contender in 2021 if the young guys develop and show that they belong. If this team can make the playoffs this year, that experience will be invaluable in 2021.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mostly if not all non-playoff teams

Someone forget the game in Houston. The Bills went into Houston in the playoffs and couldn't beat the Texans. Lock made them look like a JV team.

Does he still have more to prove? Obviously. But there are reasons to be optimistic.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by the optimistic wr class success on here, many of you have already have crowned Lock as the new Messiah for Denver. 4-1 vs mostly if not all non-playoff teams, hardly spells " franchise " Qb at this point. Got to see a lot more from him before I can speak to the wr success.
Legit concern, and I expressed the same thing a couple weeks ago.

I found this article interesting - and doesn’t try to make the case that because he was the 14th best QB by DVOA in the past 20 years, he is guaranteed to be “the Man”. But I do think it matched what I saw on the field. He surprised me with his presence and the fact he got passes off quickly are points of encouragement. He also appears to have the support and respect of his teammates.
Denver Broncos: Drew Lock was the best 2019 rookie quarterback by DVOA - Mile High Report

personally I give him a a 2-1 chance to be the answer for the next decade.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I have missed where people have crowned Lock as the next Messiah in here?

Optimistic? Sure- Nothing wrong with that.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I take it you think him a failure. So far so good is what most think.

He has a better chance now that he has more than one WR. His chances go up also because of his head coach, OC and OL coach.

He has a rather good chance of panning out IMO because he showed up after being not told he was all that by the head coach and stayed to the grindstone and made himself better when he was hurt.

I love his personality positively respectful and always pointing out history of the broncos and wanting to be a Bronco. so damn right I am pulling for him.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well...since PFM left this team Lock has played the best of any QB we've had take the field. As a rookie. And he improved with every chance he had to play. If a train is racing towards you do you stand on the tracks, waiting to make sure you're in danger, or do you step back and acknowledge the potential impact?

Broncogreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3