• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson and the Hawks

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching Wilson what are peoples thoughts on him? How dangerous do you guys think the Hawks will be this year with Wilson a strong running game and a beastly secondary?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wilson is a great QB if he is rolling out, but I fail to see how a player that is 5'11 can be effective in the pocket when his line averages 6'4 and the opposing lines would all be similar. I envision teams trying to keep him in the pocket and getting their hands up early and often to bat down balls. This is preseason, he isn't going to see the creative blitz packages and coverages that he will see in the regular season so of course he looks like a superstar.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wilson is a great QB if he is rolling out, but I fail to see how a player that is 5'11 can be effective in the pocket when his line averages 6'4 and the opposing lines would all be similar. I envision teams trying to keep him in the pocket and getting their hands up early and often to bat down balls. This is preseason, he isn't going to see the creative blitz packages and coverages that he will see in the regular season so of course he looks like a superstar.

His line last year at Wisconsin was bigger than any offensive line in the NFL. He was primarily a pocket quarterback. He had two passes batted down last year (the lowest of any drafted quarterback). That number will probably go up as he deals with better D-Lines and he has a worse offensive line, but it isn't like it will greatly affect his effectiveness in the pocket.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no doubt it has to hinder him even if just a little, but maybe he has a good feel for passing lanes?

Brees isn't that tall either, but he doesn't seem to struggle seeing? plus, he doesn't seem to get many passes batted down?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart, I know you are a Wisconsin groupie, so I will be polite. The Big 10 is WEAK defensively and the Wisconsin line was easily one of the best in college football. Having 35 seconds to throw the ball is something A LOT of QBs can do. Troy Smith was pretty good in college too, wasn't he? Until the NFL exposed his inability to read defenses quickly enough to offset his issues staying in the pocket and throwing over his line. Am I saying that Troy Smith is Wilson? NO, I think Wilson has more talent. But its the same premise.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no doubt it has to hinder him even if just a little, but maybe he has a good feel for passing lanes?

Brees isn't that tall either, but he doesn't seem to struggle seeing? plus, he doesn't seem to get many passes batted down?

Brees is one of the quickest decision makers in the league, to go with a very quick release. If Wilson has those kind of chops, then he can potentially be that guy....but there is only one Drew Brees for a reason.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Brees is one of the quickest decision makers in the league, to go with a very quick release. ...but there is only one Drew Brees for a reason.

Well, there are 3 or 4 Drew Breeses in that respect. Maybe 5 if Peyton is ever the same.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
obviously, nobody is 'Drew Brees' except Drew Brees, but the point is some guys have a better feel for it. again, no doubt being 5'-10" isn't helping, but doesn't mean he can't be a good passer either?

previous two years, Hawaii's QB was 5'-10" but he didn't have a big problem with vision. if you didn't know his height, you wouldn't notice an issue with tall linemen in front of him.

granted these guys are the exceptions, but it appears Russell Wilson is in a similar mode?

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees is one of the quickest decision makers in the league, to go with a very quick release. If Wilson has those kind of chops, then he can potentially be that guy....but there is only one Drew Brees for a reason.

Let's not forget Brees actually beat Andy Roddick when they were kids in a competitive tennis match. Brees' accuracy, quick decision making, and his exceptional footwork are what make him who he is. IMHO, he should have been sacked a heck of a lot more than he was in that NFC Divisional playoff game this past January if it wasn't for his amazing feet.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm completely undecided when it comes to Wilson.

For a QB it's not a bad thing to do good in the preseason but doing good as a QB is still ultimately meaningless.

It's much easier to do good when you're just out there running your plays and you don't need to put a ton of thought into it.

The real test is when it's the regular season when you have to read the defense before the snap, after the snap, and make a snap decision while pass rushers are closing in on you. Or when you're down in the 4th quarter and you've taken a pounding from the defense all game and you need to lead the offense down the field to score.

Those are the kinda of things that separate the real QBs from the preseason hall of famers and we won't know what Wilson has got till we see him in a couple of regular season games.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Russell Wilson is another Saneca Wallace. He's nothing special. I'm pretty confident Flynn will be the starter, and neither of them will be very good.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At least Wilson is showing some spunk in the preseason and the troops are rallying around him. Flynn and Tavaris Jackson have done jack even in the preseason.

Don't forget they have Braylon and TO as well now. I wouldn't write both of them off.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Wilson is showing some spunk in the preseason and the troops are rallying around him. Flynn and Tavaris Jackson have done jack even in the preseason.

Don't forget they have Braylon and TO as well now. I wouldn't write both of them off.

NFL.com has a story about how Owens isn't making a strong enough case to avoid getting cut. I mean, it is by that douche Rosenthal, so it doesn't mean a whole lot... just thought I'd mention that they aren't raving about TO.

Lessons learned from Friday night's preseason games - NFL.com

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is a stud and there is a reason why he set the NCAA record in passer rating, he can ball out. He can run and he has a rocket for an arm. He will be a damn good QB

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm completely undecided when it comes to Wilson.

For a QB it's not a bad thing to do good in the preseason but doing good as a QB is still ultimately meaningless.

It's much easier to do good when you're just out there running your plays and you don't need to put a ton of thought into it.

The real test is when it's the regular season when you have to read the defense before the snap, after the snap, and make a snap decision while pass rushers are closing in on you. Or when you're down in the 4th quarter and you've taken a pounding from the defense all game and you need to lead the offense down the field to score.

Those are the kinda of things that separate the real QBs from the preseason hall of famers and we won't know what Wilson has got till we see him in a couple of regular season games.

There were four close games last year for us.

In the first, we were down seven with four minutes to go. Russell Wilson led us down field for an 8 play, 87 yard TD drive. (MSU got the ball back and scored on a Hail Mary).

In the second, we were down 12 with 4:40 left. Russell Wilson proceeded to lead drives of 66 and 68 yards to take the lead. Neither drive took over 1:18. Even with only 20 seconds left, Nick Toon dropped a pass that would have put us on the OSU 20 yard line after they responded.

In the third, we were down 36-28 late in the third. Our offense got the ball twice, and the result was two Russell Wilson touchdown drives. We go to the Rose Bowl.

In the Rose Bowl, down a TD with 7 minutes left, Wilson leads a long drive that ends with a WR fumble at the opponents 25. He gets the ball back with sixteen seconds left. He proceeds to lead the team 62 yards in fifteen seconds before an official mistake costs us the chance at one more play.

Russell Wilson is insanely clutch. He has a ridiculously quick release. He sees the field tremendously well. He is accurate. He has a big arm. I'm certain he'll be an above average starter for a long time. I just hope Carroll will give him the chance.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starter now and he's dangerous

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up until the last game, Wilson had been playing against the opposing team's second string defense, and in the regular season defensive coordinators will have a game plan. I think he'll have some early success, then will come back to earth. I don't think offensive game planning is Seattle's strong suit so I'm not sure Wilson will get the tutoring he needs to respond to being the focus of the opposing team's defensive coordinator.