• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wild Side of Minnesota

SandyBeach26

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Wow..the Wild certainly aren't doing their part to brush away the cloud of sports despair that currently hangs over Minneapolis-St. Paul.

First, the Twins season is absolutely massacred by injuries and under achievement from its available stars, then the Vikings get off to a horrible start, the T-Wolves...well, we will just leave that one alone....

But anyways...Minnesota's NHL team was the hope to bring joy and satisfaction to the pro Minny crowd. Hey, I don't think anyone is expecting a Stanley Cup this year, but making the top 8 and into the playoffs really is not a stretch at all.

A depleted Pittsburgh team made Minnesota look VERY pedestrian last night. A team that relies on guys like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Orpik SHOULD have been scrambling around playing a fully functioning Minnesota team right? Nope...not even close.

Even though Minnesota has added some great scoring talent in Setoguchi and Heatley, they are still looking like the same offensively lackluster team that finished the season last year. Sure, players need time to gel and learn Coach Yeo's systems, but really, Minny's play to start the season has looked less-than-inspired overall.

Well, the season is just starting out, and so they have time to fix whatever the ailments are right now. I still believe them to be a top 8 team in the West....they just have to play like it. Turnovers at the blue line are becoming a recurring theme, as are bad clearing attempts and passive defense. If these could be fixed sooner than later, then the scoring should surely come.

I can't wait till Mike Lundin is able to play for the Wild (currently on IR)....he may not be a specatular defenseman, but he is a smart one....and perhaps he could help show the way on how to properly clear a zone and play good positional defense.

Let's go Wild...you have an upcoming game against a very game Edmonton team, and it just won't get any easier after that either...let's not fall into an early season hole, shall we?

I'm calling 3-2 Minny over Edmonton on Thursday.... :smile:

SandyBeach26

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Thursday Oct 20, 2011 Wild at Oilers...Final: Min 2 , Edm 1 F-SO

A tenacious effort by the Wild. I watched much of this game, and I thought for sure the Wild were cooked once again being down with only about 5 min to go.
Well, good thing I wasn't coaching this team, because Minnesota did not give up, and it was newly acquired Dany Heatlely that provided the equalizer with half a second..yes, HALF A FREAKIN second to go in regulation...forcing overtime, then onto the eventual shoot out win.

Minnesota put LOTS of pressure on Edmonton in the third period, and while only having one goal to show for it, it pointed to the fact THAT is how the Wild need to play against anyone in order for them to be competitive for 60 minutes.
Granted, Edmonton seemed happy to sit on their one goal lead, but Minnesota did what any good team SHOULD do: Go right after a turtling opponent.

Great game by Minnesota....still would like the scoring to come at a better clip, but a win is a win, and at this point, there is no complaining when you can get one.

Next up...HUGE game vs. the defending Western Conference Vancouver Canucks.
Van has not played particularly well to start the season, and Minnesota needs to bring it make sure the Canucks don't get well at their expense.

Here is hoping Minny can add to the Vancouver current woes....
Let's go Wild....this next game is as good as any to put up 4 or 5 goals!!

anythingispossible

Dangling Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Wild would keep up the intensity for three complete periods. It would be more of what I expected. When they go into lackluster mode they never seem to recover.

SandyBeach26

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If the Wild would keep up the intensity for three complete periods. It would be more of what I expected. When they go into lackluster mode they never seem to recover.

And that is the key...getting a full 60 minutes out of these guys.
By all rights, they should have beaten Detroit when they played them last. First 40 min looked great against a perennial contender.....last 20..who knows what happened there.

Not taking anything away from Detroit...they just did what any good team would do: take advantage of a team that let off the gas.
But if Minny had played the last 20 like they did the first 40, then that is a 3-0 or 3-1 win for the Wild.

anythingispossible

Dangling Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wild are still looking for consecutive wins under new coach Yeo, but have points in all but two of their first eight games (3-2-3).
This was the fifth time in six games the Wild have gone past regulation.
Minnesota LW Guillaume Latendresse, who led the team with five points, did not play because of a lower body injury. D Greg Zanon (groin) was also out, but captain Mikko Koivu played with stitches in his chin and a scary scrape along his neck after getting clipped by teammate Dany Heatley's skate Thursday in Edmonton, forcing him to miss the end of the game.

SandyBeach26

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yes, Minny finally put a good 60 minutes together, weathered any pressure Detroit cooked up, and didn't fold.

It would have been nice to have them scored more than one (though it SHOULD have been 2-0....the disallowed goal WAS good IMO)...but hey, a win is a win, is a win...I am sure Detroit would have been more than happy with a 1-0 on their side right now.

On to Tuesday's game...if the Wild can take a bit of a "playoff mentality" into this one...(almost like a game 2...game 3 if you count their first meeting)....keep the momentum and focus going, I see no reason why they can't pull that one out as well.

Not saying they can shut out Detroit again, but man, the Wings are in a funk...Minnesota needs to keep them there. Let them recover at someone ELSE's expense.

Setoguchi has been buzzing quite a bit lately, just hasn't had alot to show for it. I want to see him get his just dues come Tuesday. Also would be nice to see Latendresse and Bouchard show up on the score sheet as well.

Gooo Wild...

SandyBeach26

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Thursday Nov 3, 2011...Canucks at Wild...Final: Min 5, Van 1

Umm..was I worried about a letdown from the Wild after hanging two consecutive L's on the mighty Red Wings??
Well, color me wrong, as Minnesota not only beat down the Canucks 5-1, but looked DAMNED good doing it.

Minny played a complete game, played great defense, had goaltending, and their stars simply SHONE! Matt Cullen, 2 goals, P.M. Bouchard a three point night, and the ENTIRE Minnesota team fired 45 big ones at the Vancouver goal, while only allowing 25 vs. their own goalie (Harding was outstanding again).

This is the sort of hockey I expected from the Wild this season. Granted, the last three games vs. Detroit (home n home) and Vancouver had the Wild catching those teams on down swings, but fact of the matter was, Minnesota PLAYED like a playoff contender. And if they can do that on a regular basis, I don't care WHO they play, or what kind of streak the other team has going, Minny's got a shot to win every game out.

Keep it going Minnesota. Up next on Saturday night: Probable non-playoff contender St. Louis Blues, who nonetheless, can bring a bruising style to the rink. Get careless against these guys, Wild, and you will find yourselves on your backs and on the wrong end of the scoreboard....but you guys know this, right?

Go Wild!!

anythingispossible

Dangling Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations again Wild on their four-game winning streak 2-1 victory over the St. Louis Blues. Keep it up you have a tough road stretch ahead.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild on top of the NW :)

Play Colorado tonight, hope we beat the crap outta 'em. I really hate the goddamn Avalanche after the 2007 season. We outplayed 'em by a large margin but Theodore turned into Superman in front of the net.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild on top of the NW :)

Play Colorado tonight, hope we beat the crap outta 'em. I really hate the goddamn Avalanche after the 2007 season. We outplayed 'em by a large margin but Theodore turned into Superman in front of the net.

Should be a good one. Might have to make an effort to check it out. Wife won't be home till later so it's TV domination for me tonight! :dance:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win tonight! Setoguchi is my new favorite player with his scoreless tie-breaking goal late in the 3rd. Also Clutty's hit late in the 2nd was awesome lol. 3 straight wins!

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a fun game to watch. Mostly in the 3rd of course. Even got to see an Avalanche player get his ass handed to him in a brawl.. lol