• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wild Card: Chargers v. Bengals

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least this lady was at the game

ifAOhtM.jpg

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy was pretty good the first half. Done in by Gio's fumble or the lead would have been at least seven at half. The second half was just a total offensive meltdown. Andy had a prominent role in it, as did Gio, the oline, and AJ Green. Green gets a pass from too many people on here. He drops way too many passes and has numerous mental lapses. Andy's share of the blame is large, but it's not 100%, as many here would have you believe. I'm sure he's become a little sensitive to it all, so I can understand how he handles questions.

I spent a fair amount of time criticizing AJ on another post. It's great that we had a top 10 receiver at his price the last few years.... But once he signs a mega-deal, he's going to have to change games.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All true, but was he the only one who choked? How about our awesome oline? Our pass dropping elite receiver? How about our vaunted dlinemen getting consistently knocked on their collective keesters? There were many hands in this mess.

This is the problem with having a QB who becomes a lighting rod for criticism.

The entire team got dominated in the 2nd half. the OL was particularly bad. I blame it on poor coaching

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the problem with having a QB who becomes a lighting rod for criticism.

The entire team got dominated in the 2nd half. the OL was particularly bad. I blame it on poor coaching

You can already see how the blame works in the locker room. Every single player talked about turnovers. Those turnovers were on Andy.

This year's team was motivated in all games.... I'll be interested to see if they remain motivated even as they lose faith in their qb.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was fine in the 2nd quarter. He basically did nothing in the 1st.

Did you look at my answer to your question about Dalton passing downfield? Just curious.

San Diego had the ball the whole first quarter. I suppose Dalton was to blame for that, too.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can already see how the blame works in the locker room. Every single player talked about turnovers. Those turnovers were on Andy.

This year's team was motivated in all games.... I'll be interested to see if they remain motivated even as they lose faith in their qb.

It was also obvious looking at the questions asked of all the players that they were out to get someone to throw Dalton under the bus.

Fuck the media, and props to the players for not falling for their shit.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They certainly don't feel bad about losing, it's just a game. it's a job. the game is over and they stopped caring about it sometime in the 4th quarter. They're all stinking rich and some of them will bang about 4 hot girls tonight and others will bang 1 hot wife and drink expensive wine until they pass out. They lost a game, but they surely haven't lost at life (yet)

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

When you lose the turnover battle by 4 that will always be a point of emphasis in the post game sound bites...

He had a terrible half, but there was a considerable stretch of plays where he got hit every time he dropped back to pass.

the playmaker RB had a fumble that cost crucial points, the all world WR had a dropped pass that change the complexion of the entire game, the run defense gave up more yards than they did in any game all year.

Dalton has obvious limitations as a QB. I don't think that's a secret to anyone who watches the team on a weekly basis..

but that was an entire team implosion in the 2nd half.

as far as the media blaming the entire loss on Dalton I think they had that column written before the post season started

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you lose the turnover battle by 4 that will always be a point of emphasis in the post game sound bites...

He had a terrible half, but there was a considerable stretch of plays where he got hit every time he dropped back to pass.

the playmaker RB had a fumble that cost crucial points, the all world WR had a dropped pass that change the complexion of the entire game, the run defense gave up more yards than they did all year.

Dalton has obvious limitations as a QB. I don't think that's a secret to anyone who watches the team on a weekly basis..

but that was an entire team implosion in the 2nd half.

as far as the media blaming the entire loss on Dalton I think they had that column written before the post season started

This^

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you look at my answer to your question about Dalton passing downfield? Just curious.

San Diego had the ball the whole first quarter. I suppose Dalton was to blame for that, too.

I didn't see a question. :noidea: I asked for someone to provide stats and they did.

And yes, Dalton playing well will have an impact on the Bengals ability to keep the ball for more than 4 minutes. But seriously, why take so much offense when I say "he basically did nothing?" 2-4 for 18 yards...basically nothing.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see a question. :noidea: I asked for someone to provide stats and they did.
And yes, Dalton playing well will have an impact on the Bengals ability to keep the ball for more than 4 minutes. But seriously, why take so much offense when I say "he basically did nothing?" 2-4 for 18 yards...basically nothing.

I did. And the stats proved the point you were trying to make was false. But hey don't let any facts get in the way of your hate of the quarterback....You apparently believe he's the only player who matters.....what could Dalton do while the Chargers were on a 10 minute touchdown drive? Should he have batted down a pass or made a third down stop?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quarterbacks shoulder blame/credit for postseason football.

Dalton made two critical mistakes that good quarterbacks don't in the playoffs. He fumbled without being hit and he threw a horrible pass when he should have take a sack.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dalton made two critical mistakes that good quarterbacks don't in the playoffs. He fumbled without being hit and he threw a horrible pass when he should have take a sack.

Have I argued that? Those aren't the only two bad mistakes that got this team beaten.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also.... Look at the quotes from the Charger players.

They expected (and were correct) that Dalton would fuck up.

Whether it is a perception or it is reality that HE will be guy to fuck up when the game is on the line doesn't really matter right now. His teammates don't play for him and his opponents don't respect him.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have I argued that? Those aren't the only two bad mistakes that got this team beaten.

Of course not.... But he has limitations. He hasn't played well in big spots. And it WILL be an issue going into the future. He's the qb..... Sooner or later he has to put the team on his shoulders and win a big game. If he can't do it, the players will lose faith in him and he never will because they'll make mistakes all around him.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's fair. He deserves his share of criticism

But it seemed to me that he was playing well in the first half, and then somehow (not sure if it was scheme or just better DL play) SD got a pass rush in his face on every play. not a couple plays, it was literally everytime he dropped back to pass..

Rodgers has great footwork to avoid that type of rush. Peyton and Brady make such quick reads that maybe they beat the pressure.

But I honestly think championship QBs like Flacco or Eli would have struggled too.

I look forward to watching a replay of the game when I'll have less of an emotional bias though

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also.... Look at the quotes from the Charger players.

They expected (and were correct) that Dalton would fuck up.

Whether it is a perception or it is reality that HE will be guy to fuck up when the game is on the line doesn't really matter right now. His teammates don't play for him and his opponents don't respect him.

I did, and didn't see that. I guess I just don't read between the lines as well as you. And if his teammates don't play for him, then shame on them.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did. And the stats proved the point you were trying to make was false. But hey don't let any facts get in the way of your hate of the quarterback....You apparently believe he's the only player who matters.....what could Dalton do while the Chargers were on a 10 minute touchdown drive? Should he have batted down a pass or made a third down stop?

Dude chill out. Of course he's going to get more criticism. That's part of being a quarterback. Peyton Manning has a stigma about not being able to win in the playoffs, but if you look at his game performances, many of the games 'he lost,' he put up huge numbers and had great games. That goes along with the territory, especially when you are the one constantly turning the ball over (7 in his last 2 games).

It's interesting to me why many posters are scared to blame Dalton's shitty play. The facts are that we have a quarterback that has 6 INTs, a lost fumble, and only 1 TD in 3 postseason games. He continuously falls flat on his face in big games, yet you'd rather blame the OL, who has been extremely good this year, the OC, who is regarded by much of the media and other organizations to be a good coordinator and is being considered for HC jobs, or AJ Green, which is just laughable.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not.... But he has limitations. He hasn't played well in big spots. And it WILL be an issue going into the future. He's the qb..... Sooner or later he has to put the team on his shoulders and win a big game. If he can't do it, the players will lose faith in him and he never will because they'll make mistakes all around him.

I don't disagree with you. And I have my doubts about him. You would have to be blind if you didn't.
But I simply don't assign him 100% of the blame for this loss.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did, and didn't see that. I guess I just don't read between the lines as well as you. And if his teammates don't play for him, then shame on them.

Not sure where I read it, but two different Charger players mentioned his INTs last week and said they EXPECTED to get INTs.

And sure... I suppose it would be great if everyone just played their hearts out all the time. But you know how this works..... If guys don't respect/trust the qb, the operation breaks down. This is why all the former players that work on pre game/postgame shows go crazy about criticizing qbs even when it's not really just. It's just the way it works.