• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why The Draft "Mistakes"?

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pure conjecture...He saw the value and traded up to take it. That isn't admitting trading down doesn't work.

He traded down again this year.

He traded down because he needed more picks to make up for getting snookered in the Haynesworth and Ochostinko trades. He had to use a 2013 4th on Talib because of all the prior bad picks he made with high picks on failed DBs. It's good thing Talib signed on for another year or that pick would have been a virtual waste like many of the other ones he used on DBs.

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twelve wins ain't happening without Brady...his talent has been wasted because of the mistakes Belchick made to fill the holes in his defense and at the WR position...do you seriously need a roll call of the high picks that failed? Maybe he's finally filled a few spots this year after years of failures...maybe...but the failures are obvious and some are bordering on ridiculous. Obvious unless you're a homer...case closed.

BB won 11 games in 2008 without Brady so forget about that line.

You seem to feel that his failed draft picks are somehow an indicator that BB is wrong and all that does it make you as clueless as we all are. Everyone has failed draft picks. BB's first round talent roll call is excellent. You focus on the misses when you should be focusing on the successes and the success of the team.

We all look at players we wanted to draft and see them succeed with another team and assume they would have been successful in NE but we do not know if they would fit the schemes NE plays.

New England Patriots best, Cleveland Browns worst at finding All-Pros in the NFL Draft | cleveland.com

Wow surprise, surprise NE has drafted the most all-pros. I assume you consider that meaningless but add in the roster depth we have drafted and the players we obtained with draft picks such as Welker, Moss, Talib and others and allowing some picks were wasted on trades it is still a win. No team is better than the Pats at UDFA discovery. No team is better at finding gems later in draft. No team has a more scattered record in the second round but BB's home runs in the second round are notable in Branch, Matt Light, Gronkowski, Spikes, etc..

Drafting may be a crap shoot but the Patriots seem to avoid crapping out better than most while still winning and yes we have Brady but didn't BB draft him late in the 6th round? I prefer to look at the positive than the negative because BB deserves that right. we did lose two Superbowls to the Giants bit nobody can tell me that bullshit scandal and that last second lie by Tomase did not distract the Pats in first game and if we had Gronk we win that game. Heck without key drops we win that game but we got there.

We are competitive every year in an AFC that has had tons of elite teams like the Colts, Ravens, Steelers, and now Denver. The simple truth is BB succeeds in a league where continued success is designed out of the process. Look at our roster and tell me he has no clue or stinks at drafting.

Hindsight is always 20-20 but then there is a reason people are so good in hindsight. BB has been a visionary in the NFL and it is both on offense and on defense. If Aaron dipshit was not a turd we would still be an electric offense and we will be by the end of the year. The defense has a lot of talent with the only weakness depth at DT.

BB does this because it is his job. We do it because we are fans although sometimes I do wonder who some are fans of around here. I firmly believe this team is on the verge of another run so may I suggest we enjoy it and criticize if you must but take time to look at the big picture. We could be fans of the Raiders or the Browns or the Jags. Yikes that would hurt.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing you got out of my post is that he picks at random? That's not what the analogy was about at all. He trades for more chances, and makes more picks. He reaches sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't pay off (Cunningham), sometimes it does (Vollmer).

The point is that the Patriots have picked up a ridiculously good four draft classes in a row (again, not evaluating this year's class one way or the other til we have more data). Of course everyone wants their accuracy to be higher, but their plan works.

LOL! A better comparison would be Vollmer who was the 98th rated player...and Ohrenberger who was the 326th rated player. Using that as a guide...Are you actually surprised one of them turned into a player and the other didn't?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to include players such as Jones and Hightower as proof of Belechick's draft prowess, make sure you include the fact that when he traded up for them he basically admitted his strategy of drafting down was a FAILURE!

Bullshit. His strategy isn't "trade down".

Where do you think the flexibility to move up came from, though?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And once again, show me a team that gets more contributions from the players they have drafted /signed as UDFA than New England.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! A better comparison would be Vollmer who was the 98th rated player...and Ohrenberger who was the 326th rated player. Using that as a guide...Are you actually surprised one of them turned into a player and the other didn't?
When they picked Vollmer, a bunch of analysts crapped on the decision, saying basically they could have had him 3 rounds later. It's the same thing as the Tavon Wilson pick, except it worked out.

The Patriots have the same draft resources going in as everyone else and come out with more good players. We can pick apart specific decisions, but that's the main thing that matters, isn't it?

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB won 11 games in 2008 without Brady so forget about that line.

You seem to feel that his failed draft picks are somehow an indicator that BB is wrong and all that does it make you as clueless as we all are. Everyone has failed draft picks. BB's first round talent roll call is excellent. You focus on the misses when you should be focusing on the successes and the success of the team.

We all look at players we wanted to draft and see them succeed with another team and assume they would have been successful in NE but we do not know if they would fit the schemes NE plays.

New England Patriots best, Cleveland Browns worst at finding All-Pros in the NFL Draft | cleveland.com

Wow surprise, surprise NE has drafted the most all-pros. I assume you consider that meaningless but add in the roster depth we have drafted and the players we obtained with draft picks such as Welker, Moss, Talib and others and allowing some picks were wasted on trades it is still a win. No team is better than the Pats at UDFA discovery. No team is better at finding gems later in draft. No team has a more scattered record in the second round but BB's home runs in the second round are notable in Branch, Matt Light, Gronkowski, Spikes, etc..

Drafting may be a crap shoot but the Patriots seem to avoid crapping out better than most while still winning and yes we have Brady but didn't BB draft him late in the 6th round? I prefer to look at the positive than the negative because BB deserves that right. we did lose two Superbowls to the Giants bit nobody can tell me that bullshit scandal and that last second lie by Tomase did not distract the Pats in first game and if we had Gronk we win that game. Heck without key drops we win that game but we got there.

We are competitive every year in an AFC that has had tons of elite teams like the Colts, Ravens, Steelers, and now Denver. The simple truth is BB succeeds in a league where continued success is designed out of the process. Look at our roster and tell me he has no clue or stinks at drafting.

Hindsight is always 20-20 but then there is a reason people are so good in hindsight. BB has been a visionary in the NFL and it is both on offense and on defense. If Aaron dipshit was not a turd we would still be an electric offense and we will be by the end of the year. The defense has a lot of talent with the only weakness depth at DT.

BB does this because it is his job. We do it because we are fans although sometimes I do wonder who some are fans of around here. I firmly believe this team is on the verge of another run so may I suggest we enjoy it and criticize if you must but take time to look at the big picture. We could be fans of the Raiders or the Browns or the Jags. Yikes that would hurt.

You must be an idiot if you can't understand this...Belichick wasted several high picks on players that did nothing. It's a simple sentence. Keep reading it if you have trouble getting the point. IMO, it cost them the last Super Bowl unless you think this starting defensive unit was winning Super Bowl material:

Tracy White, Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Ninkovich, Mayo, Spikes, McCourty, Arrington, Chung, Idhedigbo

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they picked Vollmer, a bunch of analysts crapped on the decision, saying basically they could have had him 3 rounds later. It's the same thing as the Tavon Wilson pick, except it worked out.

The Patriots have the same draft resources going in as everyone else and come out with more good players. We can pick apart specific decisions, but that's the main thing that matters, isn't it?

A little math lesson....Vollmer was rated 98th overall by NFLDraftScout and that means he was basically a 3rd rounder not a fifth rounder as you claim since he was taken in the 2nd round which isn't close to the Ohrenberger, Tavon Wilson or Duron Harmon reaches.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Later homers.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little math lesson....Vollmer was rated 98th overall by NFLDraftScout and that means he was basically a 3rd rounder not a fifth rounder as you claim since he was taken in the 2nd round which isn't close to the Ohrenberger, Tavon Wilson or Duron Harmon reaches.

It only takes one team with a similar opinion to get a guy gone.

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must be an idiot if you can't understand this...Belichick wasted several high picks on players that did nothing. It's a simple sentence. Keep reading it if you have trouble getting the point. IMO, it cost them the last Super Bowl unless you think this starting defensive unit was winning Super Bowl material:

Tracy White, Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Ninkovich, Mayo, Spikes, McCourty, Arrington, Chung, Idhedigbo

Well BB was right because Vollmer is arguably the best RT in football. As for the idiot comment well I think we all know you are the idiot around here and I would gladly compare IQ points with a douche like you.

All you do is complain and bitch about everything the pats do. Nothing is ever good enough because somehow some turd like you is better equipped to make football decisions than BB. You obviously have reading comprehension issues along with your other issues because I have said BB has missed on picks and some were high like Dowling but he has hit far more than he has missed and he has kept this team competitive but then you would not be able to complain and bitch about the Pats so your pathetic little life will somehow improve.

Have you ever praised the Pats? Of course not because you believe your life is that of a professional contrarian. If it makes you so miserable maybe you should take up a hobby or maybe get a freaking life.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well BB was right because Vollmer is arguably the best RT in football. As for the idiot comment well I think we all know you are the idiot around here and I would gladly compare IQ points with a douche like you.

All you do is complain and bitch about everything the pats do. Nothing is ever good enough because somehow some turd like you is better equipped to make football decisions than BB. You obviously have reading comprehension issues along with your other issues because I have said BB has missed on picks and some were high like Dowling but he has hit far more than he has missed and he has kept this team competitive but then you would not be able to complain and bitch about the Pats so your pathetic little life will somehow improve.

Have you ever praised the Pats? Of course not because you believe your life is that of a professional contrarian. If it makes you so miserable maybe you should take up a hobby or maybe get a freaking life.

Feeling a little puffy today?

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone care to defend this?

2009: #34 Chung - #40 Brace - #41 Butler - #58 Vollmer - #83 Tate - #97 McKenzie - #123 Ohrenberger

PATHETIC.

Pathetic homers unite...

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
krafty just mad from the buttwhoopin he took in fantasy to scrubz so hes letting out some steam. let it out bro. let it out.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone care to defend this?

2009: #34 Chung - #40 Brace - #41 Butler - #58 Vollmer - #83 Tate - #97 McKenzie - #123 Ohrenberger

PATHETIC.

Pathetic homers unite...

that one was baaad! i cant believe he took chung over william moore. not only was that bad but it screwed up meri cuz chung was a ss and there was nowhere else to put him so they moved meri out his best position. ruined everything. i liked tate thought he would have been a better player, kick returner too but hes getting owned in the nfl. looked good in college though.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that one was baaad! i cant believe he took chung over william moore. not only was that bad but it screwed up meri cuz chung was a ss and there was nowhere else to put him so they moved meri out his best position. ruined everything. i liked tate thought he would have been a better player, kick returner too but hes getting owned in the nfl. looked good in college though.

At least you can see it briz...most of the rest of this board has their Patriots glasses on.

Belichick has had multiple top 100 picks since 2006:

2006: Maroney #21, #36 Chad Jackson, #86 David Thomas
2007: Meriweather, 1st rounder forfeited
2008: #10 Mayo, #62 Wheatley, #78 Crable, #94 Kevin O'Connell
2009: #34 Chung, #40 Brace, #41 Butler, #58 Vollmer, #83 Tate
2010: #21 McCourty, #42 Gronkowski, #53 Cunningham, #62 Spikes, #90 Taylor Price
2011: #17 Solder, #33 Ras-IR, #56 Vereen, #73 Ridley, #74 Mallett
2012: #21 Jones, #24 Hightower, #48 Tavon Wilson, #90 Bequette
2013: #52 Collins, #59 Dobson, #83 Logan Ryan, #91 Harmon

Of the 31 top 100 players the results show to this point IMO:

Top tier: Gronkowski, Jones
2nd tier: Mayo, Vollmer, Solder
3rd tier: McCourty, Spikes, Ridley, Hightower
4th tier: Chung, Vereen

Eleven top 100 picks between 2006-2012 have been NFL caliber players IMO and 27 picks were used to get them.

28 picks if you count the one Belichick lost because he failed to abide by a league memorandum.

2013 doesn't look stocked with star quality...but the jury is still out

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And once again, show me a team that gets more contributions from the players they have drafted /signed as UDFA than New England.

I already pointed out to you that Belichick couldn't hold Pete Carroll's jock strap since he took over Seattle in 2010.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree to a certain extent with Belichick in a recent interview...the difference in a player becoming a good player or a bust is improvement. That's why a low draft pick or UFA can become a starter or a star, while a high draft pick never becomes anything more than average or a complete bust.

He claims improvement is the reason for failures, that being said, I think he's made mistakes wasting high picks by drafting down for lesser quality players to start the process with.

IMO of course.

My oh my....the homers have been unmasked because of a simple and honest statement like the above. Too bad you can't stand the truth.