• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why didn't we tag Maclin?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These new guys aren't in over their head are they?

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:rolleyes2: Obviously.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These new guys aren't in over their head are they?
They have 5 days to get this long term deal done before tampering can begin. I'm a believer that this deal is almost completed, but just have a tiny bit of tweaking to do before it's official. He's not going to get 12 million per like the tag would give him. A deal will be done soon. Book it!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have 5 days to get this long term deal done before tampering can begin. I'm a believer that this deal is almost completed, but just have a tiny bit of tweaking to do before it's official. He's not going to get 12 million per like the tag would give him. A deal will be done soon. Book it!

Even if so, why risk the chance that it's not? Maybe something with the new CBA franchise tag rules?

The tag gives him a one year contract. Nothing else guaranteed, no obligations on the Eagles side, just a #1 WR for the price of a top wide receiver without a contract.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they tagged Maclin they would have to pay him $13 mil. They seem to think they can get a deal done without paying him that much. Time will tell on that one. Could prove to be a mistake, but frankly I think Maclin is not a top 5 receiver and should not get paid that much.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are either very incompetent or competent. We will know next week. The only downsides I see to using it in this instance are:

(1) You are obligating more money to the position than you ultimately probably intend. It could tie your hands in FA. Suppose you want to negotiate with Cobb and Maclin and take whichever one bites first? Or suppose you want to make an offer to Dez Bryant? The Tag is a commitment by the team to the player and does limit the team's options

(2) It may have an impact on the ongoing negotiations with Maclin. If the sides are getting along and have some mutual trust going on, applying the tag could throw a wrench in the works and derail a process that may be coming to a good conclusion. Ultimately, I suspect that the Eagles and Maclin are working toward a mutually agreeable market value contract. Applying the tag limits Maclin's options and suggests that the Eagles are not interested in treating him fairly. The Eagles want Maclin to want to be here and the tag suggests a more adverserial relationship. Ulitmately, giving him freedom hopefully brings him back on his own accord with the right attitude and enthusiasm. Do you really want to invest $12M+ dollars in a guy that doesn't want to be here? That doesn't do wonders for your culture.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremy Maclin isn't even a Top 10 WR so why would you pay him like he is a top 5???? Ridiculous.....He should be signed at 5 years for about 9.5 per.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Maclin didn't want to sign yet. He said the other day whats the rush. He knew the Eagles wouldn't franchise him at 12.8 mill per year. between him and Shady that would be 25 million under the cap too much for two players

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, there is the chance that the Eagles want to go in a different direction.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about Maclin at the moment ... it wouldn't shock me if a deal isn't already in place, just not announced. Now, if it's the night be4 players can sign with new teams and he's still not signed then I'll start worrying. It's the same reason I'm not getting too exited about a player like McCourty not getting tagged by the Pats ... it doesn't mean he'll ever hit free agency.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm….I was VERY surprised to hear that Maclin didn't get the tag. I fully expected him to get the Franchise Tag, and then continue to work on a long term deal. Hopefully there's something in place and will get done before FA starts….not much time left though. Get it done fellas

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did that franchise tag thing work out for Andy??? Or are we now blaming everyone else but him for all the fuck ups that happened???

Ugh.

This is getting tiresome dude. Every other post is ragging CK. Give it a freaking rest already.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did that franchise tag thing work out for Andy??? Or are we now blaming everyone else but him for all the fuck ups that happened???

Ugh.

This is getting tiresome dude. Every other post is ragging CK. Give it a freaking rest already.

ENUT That is a NO NO and you know it. I can't allow personal attacks, let's clean it up please. Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are either very incompetent or competent. We will know next week. The only downsides I see to using it in this instance are:

(1) You are obligating more money to the position than you ultimately probably intend. It could tie your hands in FA. Suppose you want to negotiate with Cobb and Maclin and take whichever one bites first? Or suppose you want to make an offer to Dez Bryant? The Tag is a commitment by the team to the player and does limit the team's options

(2) It may have an impact on the ongoing negotiations with Maclin. If the sides are getting along and have some mutual trust going on, applying the tag could throw a wrench in the works and derail a process that may be coming to a good conclusion. Ultimately, I suspect that the Eagles and Maclin are working toward a mutually agreeable market value contract. Applying the tag limits Maclin's options and suggests that the Eagles are not interested in treating him fairly. The Eagles want Maclin to want to be here and the tag suggests a more adverserial relationship. Ulitmately, giving him freedom hopefully brings him back on his own accord with the right attitude and enthusiasm. Do you really want to invest $12M+ dollars in a guy that doesn't want to be here? That doesn't do wonders for your culture.

Both of those do make sense. Cobb didn't get the tag either so there's that.

Maclin might want to actually test the waters. That's a bit worrisome, although I understand. He already took his one year deal and tore it up. From his side, it's time to get paid.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremy Maclin isn't even a Top 10 WR so why would you pay him like he is a top 5???? Ridiculous.....He should be signed at 5 years for about 9.5 per.

That's way over thinking the tag dude. If a guy is top 15, you may as well keep him around for the one year. It's not a big commitment when you consider signing bonuses are close to the same price as the tag anyway.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about Maclin at the moment ... it wouldn't shock me if a deal isn't already in place, just not announced. Now, if it's the night be4 players can sign with new teams and he's still not signed then I'll start worrying. It's the same reason I'm not getting too exited about a player like McCourty not getting tagged by the Pats ... it doesn't mean he'll ever hit free agency.

Can't believe McCourty didn't get tagged. We must sign him! Safeties don't even cost that much.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, there is the chance that the Eagles want to go in a different direction.

Chip playing Sam Hinkie with the WRs? The big plan is to draft two more.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ugh.

Right back at ya, swat.

:stfu:

You could have made a post that was actually about Maclin or the tag instead of about me.

Everyone knows you think Chip is Dreamy. I generally like him to. But I want a bit more than that, I want to win Super Bowls. He does some things that worry me so I posted about it.