• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WHy Chicago for TUrco?

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SO the FLyers offer him 6M over three years. THis isprobably overpaying in money and years for a guy like him, but it is a perfect fit. A solid, aging goalie on a team that should be solid for the next few years.
On the other side, The Hawks are a team in tatters, still needs to sign 4 players, is still over the Cap, and has no history of spending money. THey are the Cup winners, but won't even somewhat resemble the '09 team this year. And they only offered him a 1-year 1.3M contract?
Why would he go that route? I don't really care one way or the other, or think everyone should be a FLyer, but it doesn't make much sense.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO the FLyers offer him 6M over three years. THis isprobably overpaying in money and years for a guy like him, but it is a perfect fit. A solid, aging goalie on a team that should be solid for the next few years.
On the other side, The Hawks are a team in tatters, still needs to sign 4 players, is still over the Cap, and has no history of spending money. THey are the Cup winners, but won't even somewhat resemble the '09 team this year. And they only offered him a 1-year 1.3M contract?
Why would he go that route? I don't really care one way or the other, or think everyone should be a FLyer, but it doesn't make much sense.

Not sure who said it before, but I think it may have been Scott. Turco is going into Chicago as the #1. He is warming the seat for Crawford??? If he does a good job for them he will get a decent contract next year, even at his age. If Leighton has another good season, he would be burried on the bench and have no options for the following year. I guess guaranteed playing time won in this one.

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lets not avoid the gorilla in the room. playing in chicago is a whole lot easier on the ego than playing in philly. if he tanks in chicago it's nothing compared to tanking in philly. talk about a long season...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree w/ both points.. and really i dont see any others, nor can i blame him for choosing chicago

its not like money is a big issue for him at this point in his career.. plus as chy (and whoever it was) said.. if he proves he can be a starting goalie still, he'll have the option of playing for a few more years.. if he rides pine for a year or 2 in philly he probably wont get another chance

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ALthough I agree on all those points, I still feel he would have made more money in Philly, dealt with similar expectations here, and had the starting job as his own. Leighton wouldn't have been re-signed as a starter here if Turco was brought in early. And if he plays poorly enough for Leighton to beat him out, so be it. He would still get his money. I get the one more contract idea. I guess it is a risk worth taking, although I don't see another fat contract for a 35 year old that will be trying to prove himself. Like I said, I get it that the city itself may have been more appealling. Or that he isn't an East Coast guy. Or that he grew up a Hawks fan. But I don't buy his statement "I would've loved to go to Philly."

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha ya.. dont buy that statement at all.. but i do think he'll have a good season this year.. and i think that will result in a pretty good pay off for him next season, and another opportunity to be a starter

why risk getting beat out by leighton when you can have the starting job, and a chance to prove you still belong, without the fight?

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if the flyers signed turco before leighton i still would think they would have signed leighton. i guess turco would not have wanted to battle for the starters spot. i am glad he did not take the contract. turco for 3 years would have been awful.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the flyers signed turco before leighton i still would think they would have signed leighton. i guess turco would not have wanted to battle for the starters spot. i am glad he did not take the contract. turco for 3 years would have been awful.

I agree with Scott here. I think Turco wanted to be gauranteed he'd be the man and there was no way he would be waxing the pine for the majority of the season. In actuality I can't really Turco having a back-up in recent years that was capable of pushing him and making a play for his job. Turco wins ins Chicago cause everyone know Huet although he has decent potential is like severely fucked up in the head or something and cracked once he got there, now he collect his fat checks and gets a front row seat([petty sweet gig imo).

Did anyone here Forsberg wants to play again? :D'

I'd rather spend money on one of the greatest players to every grace the ice even ih he was scratched half the season just to have the opportunity to have foopa mentor Giroux, Leino, JVR. The return alone would be worth the salary and the cap space, plus if he stayed healthey and played 3rd line mins plus PP he would put up decent numbers(and our PP would be sick). But I disgress into wishful thinking. :(

PS I think Leights is going to come out a different goalie this year and prove last years stellar run wasn't a fluke, and he has to do that cause playing in philly is no fun when you're losing.

Last edited by a moderator: