• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will texas maybe Get in a Trade?

: Your picks?

• Josh Johnson

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Cliff Lee

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Zack Greinke

• Cole Hamels

• Matt Garza

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non of the above

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he can, and he has

When he has it, he's good

When he doesn't, he's not, that's any pitcher

More often than not, he had it, as evidenced by his numbers

His biggest obstacle going forward is health now, and that will be why he's not a starter, not his command, which will now suffer even more in his comeback from surgery

While I agree Feliz will probably not be a starter anytime soon, its not b/c he doesn't have the pitches

You are one that dives into sabremetrics, are you not? I've seen you talk about some oddly named stats. So does Feliz not have a pretty high wFB/c but pretty low wSL/c and wCB/c? It also appears to me that when his FB% dropped, his WAR dropped as well.

He's a fireballer. Nothing wrong with it, but his non FB pitches aren't where they need to be when facing a batter 3+ times per game. He could have gotten there, but this injury will put him in the bullpen. At least have him in the bullpen for a few years. Maybe he goes to the pen, works on the side on control of the curve and slider, and makes it back to the rotation after 3-4 years just like CJ.

Laserman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to multiple major league sources, one potential deal discussed by the Red Sox and Rangers prior to the non-waiver trade deadline included a package that would have sent Josh Beckett, Jacoby Ellsbury and Kelly Shoppach to the Rangers. It is unclear what player compensation the two teams discussed going from Texas to the Red Sox in such a deal.

The proposal was described by one source as nothing more than a theoretical back and forth of ideas that never progressed to the point where the Red Sox approached Beckett to discuss his 10-5 rights (which give the pitcher, as someone with 10 years in the majors and five with one club, the opportunity to veto a deal). Another source classified the talks as having reached a more advanced stage before hitting a wall.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are one that dives into sabremetrics, are you not? I've seen you talk about some oddly named stats. So does Feliz not have a pretty high wFB/c but pretty low wSL/c and wCB/c? It also appears to me that when his FB% dropped, his WAR dropped as well.

He's a fireballer. Nothing wrong with it, but his non FB pitches aren't where they need to be when facing a batter 3+ times per game. He could have gotten there, but this injury will put him in the bullpen. At least have him in the bullpen for a few years. Maybe he goes to the pen, works on the side on control of the curve and slider, and makes it back to the rotation after 3-4 years just like CJ.

Fact is, Feliz is an anomaly when it comes to sabermetrics, he has always outpitched his peripheral stats, so its hard to make a case for him using FIP & SIERA, but it does happen (see Matt Harrison)

In a little over half the innings as last year he had half the WAR,

However, his season as a starter to this point had almost been exactly the same peripherally than his year last year with a, to be expected and not out of the norm, rise in giving up homeruns

and a slight if no less distrurbing rise in walks, which can be attributed to faulty command of his secondary pitches, but he was using with better regularity, he wasn't there yet, but the only way to get there is by doing...

I would have reasoned, injury excluded, he would've seen a drop in the walks

Imagine if people would've regulated guys like Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson to the bullpen at the start of their career to stay b/c they had some command issues

Ryan's career BB/9 was 4.7, must not have good secondary offerings, should've spent most of the career in the bullpen

Last edited by a moderator:

Swami

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Johnson has a 1.99 ERA in 22.2 Innings in August. He's given up 16 hits, 3 walks, and allowed 2 homeruns while striking out 20 batters. Ah, what might have been...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson is a power guy and I think his stuff would translate a lot better in the AL than Dempster's. Josh has a 2.95 ERA in a 109.2 Interleague innings.

Josh Johnson Career Pitching Splits - Baseball-Reference.com

And Josh would have cost a lot more than what Dempster cost.

I don't like the Dempster move because it isn't a huge help. However, I don't hate it because the guys we gave up wouldn't have helped us for a long time, if ever.

JJohnson would have been a different story. We would not have had a silly error in RF yesterday if we had gotten Johnson.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this what the hell happened to your avi romeo.......those mods fucking with us :)

I'll fix it later. Too funny to see how it got under 46's skin not to.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the N.L has actually been stronger this year. And they keep winning the World Series every year.

:L what? The NL has been destroyed in inter league play...

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

2012 AL interleague record was 142-110 ... 7 of the AL's 14 teams had winning records (TEX best at 14-4) ... another 4 teams tied 9-9 ... only CLE, KCR, and SEA had losing records. Conversely, 10 of NL's 16 teams had losing records in interleague play.

Clearly ... as reflected on the field in 252 games ... AL is better. We got to eliminate the ASG as being any part of post season HFA formula.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well rangers keep losing in the world series against the N.L so i think the N.L has beat the rangers every year i dont even wanna hear about season stats. Either N.L is better than texas or texas is just a choke fest in winning the big one.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well rangers keep losing in the world series against the N.L so i think the N.L has beat the rangers every year i dont even wanna hear about season stats. Either N.L is better than texas or texas is just a choke fest in winning the big one.

Just stop. :burt: