• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who’s the greatest college football coach not to win a national championship?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it Wittingham who did the heavy lifting or was it Urban Meyer? Pretty sure Wittingham walked into a program that was 22-2 the previous two years.

That's fair too. Only difference is that Wittingham kept it going and stretched it into a G5 to P5 tranfer program. If it wasn't for Wittinghams final 3 years in the MWC, 3 full seasons removed from Meyer, they likely never would have been approved for the PAC if they slumped back into G5 mediocrity. Plus, there is still the recruiting factor. Kelly came into a program that typically recruits well, whereas Utah doesn't do that, yet maintained a high enough level for attention.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K-DUB!

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thread has potential!

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Yes, you are the only one. I think a lot of it goes to the perception you have of Utah. Prior to Wittingham, Utah only had a handful of decent seasons.... now they are a P5 team and one that many people expect to contend for the conference title. That is a big deal. He took them from G5 to P5 and responded really well against programs that are well established in P5.

2. Depends on how you want to look at Cincy. Was it Kelly that did the heavy lifting or was it D'Antonio? d'Antonio at least had them going in the right direction before he left. Kelly kept it going. Then Kelly took over a storied program with tons of talent... and he has under performed according to many, especially when considering their schedules (I don't think very highly of ND schedules, some are tough, but not too many in my opinion). If I remember correctly, ND had a bunch of things just happen to go their way in 2012 which helped them go undefeated.... then got dominated by Bama.

3. Patterson has gotten closer than Peterson? You do realize that Peterson was in the playoff right? Patterson has NOT gotten closer than Peterson.

1. Utah was 22-2 the 2 seasons before Whittingham took over. Urban Meyer had been there 2 seasons, so Whitting had Meyer's recruits to work with.

2. You bring up schedules. Show me the super tough schedule #1 on the list had that is tougher than ND's. The list in the article praises mid-major success as much as they do P5 success. All of Kelly's success has happened at P5 program. You bring up "under-performed". That is basically what this list should be, except these are the best of them. He has had better success than recent coaches has had at Michigan, USC, LSU, Georgia, and Texas.

3. I was thining that year TCU and Baylor went 11-1 was the last year of BCS and missed out of NCG because of it, but it was the 1st year of CFP and Ohio State bumped them.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
e2lQ791.gif

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Utah was 22-2 the 2 seasons before Whittingham took over. Urban Meyer had been there 2 seasons, so Whitting had Meyer's recruits to work with.

2. You bring up schedules. Show me the super tough schedule #1 on the list had that is tougher than ND's. The list in the article praises mid-major success as much as they do P5 success. All of Kelly's success has happened at P5 program. You bring up "under-performed". That is basically what this list should be, except these are the best of them. He has had better success than recent coaches has had at Michigan, USC, LSU, Georgia, and Texas.

3. I was thining that year TCU and Baylor went 11-1 was the last year of BCS and missed out of NCG because of it, but it was the 1st year of CFP and Ohio State bumped them.

1. I already addressed this in post #21. Visit that first.

2. I am not saying that ND has a cupcake schedule, what I probably should have said is that I don't agree with the 'praise' they receive for their schedules that I hear year in and year out. Last year for example, 7 of their 13 games featured teams that had .500 or SUB .500 records. And that is being generous since I am giving ND an extra game from the post season (could have been 7/12 or 58%). In contrast, 3 of the 15 teams Clemson played had .500 or SUB .500 records... not counting post season and it is 25%, big difference.

3. Yeah, I know I'm right. lol.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who doesn't think Kyle Whittingham is really that impressive? He went 13-0 one season, cool. That was 11 years ago and he was in the Mountain West Conference.

Brian Kelly had a 12-0 final record in 2009 at a Big East school (Cincinnati). He also has seven 10+ win seasons (3 of last 4 seasons), Finished Top 5 three different times. Kyle Whittingham finished Top 5 once going 13-0 at a mid-major.

I was going to bring up Chip Kelly, but he doesn't have 100 wins in his 5 seasons.

So, I will bring up Kirk Ferentz. He has five 10-win seasons (at a P5 team), been Top 20 AP 6x, had a 12-0 season with a P5 team, has 5 seasons < .500 (Whittingham has 4 seasons < .500 with 6 less seasons, 11 less with P5 team).

I also think Patterson should be above Peterson, as he has gotten closer to the NCG at a P5 school.
Brian Kelly didn't make the list for the fact he's a murdering cvnt.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think of Whittingham and Pat Fitzgerald in the same ways. Both of them have recruiting limitations, but they both have their teams playing competitive football at least every year. I think both of them could do better than many P5 coaches at bigger programs.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo & Harbaugh.....next question

More interesting of a question; which coach won a national title who didn't deserve one based on coaching skill?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All-time: Bo

Currently: Lincoln Riley

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then Kelly took over a storied program with tons of talent... and he has under performed according to many, especially when considering their schedules (I don't think very highly of ND schedules, some are tough, but not too many in my opinion).

lol

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Yes, you are the only one. I think a lot of it goes to the perception you have of Utah. Prior to Wittingham, Utah only had a handful of decent seasons.... now they are a P5 team and one that many people expect to contend for the conference title. That is a big deal. He took them from G5 to P5 and responded really well against programs that are well established in P5.

2. Depends on how you want to look at Cincy. Was it Kelly that did the heavy lifting or was it D'Antonio? d'Antonio at least had them going in the right direction before he left. Kelly kept it going. Then Kelly took over a storied program with tons of talent... and he has under performed according to many, especially when considering their schedules (I don't think very highly of ND schedules, some are tough, but not too many in my opinion). If I remember correctly, ND had a bunch of things just happen to go their way in 2012 which helped them go undefeated.... then got dominated by Bama.

3. Patterson has gotten closer than Peterson? You do realize that Peterson was in the playoff right? Patterson has NOT gotten closer than Peterson.

ND's SOS in 2012 was 21st according to Sagarin. Also, he didn't take over a team with a ton of talent.