• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is College Football Being Ruined?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between the Super Pacts / Conferences, The Transfer Portal, the NIL, IMO this game is not the same. The PAC 12 as we knew it is done, these super conferences are little more than money grabs by the universities. Then there is the NIL the ability for a college to buy a player out of High School, to outbid another college this equates to paid playing and hurts smaller schools with smaller programs. The transfer portal, schools actively recruit players, train them, then bam they can up and leave. College football is all about history and tradition I guess they forgot all about that when they made these changes.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
moving all the teams around in pursuit of the almighty dollar.it,s the american way unfortunatley having an effect on the game.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between the Super Pacts / Conferences, The Transfer Portal, the NIL, IMO this game is not the same. The PAC 12 as we knew it is done, these super conferences are little more than money grabs by the universities. Then there is the NIL the ability for a college to buy a player out of High School, to outbid another college this equates to paid playing and hurts smaller schools with smaller programs. The transfer portal, schools actively recruit players, train them, then bam they can up and leave. College football is all about history and tradition I guess they forgot all about that when they made these changes.
Bankers and lawyers r*pe history and tradition unless you kill them first.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm optimistic. College football has been pretty poorly governed for a long time. Different teams play vastly different SOS. Most top 15 programs have 3-4 competitive games each season, at best. The other 8-9 games, if they don't win by double digits, the fans are angry. That's why the NFL is so much more watched than college football. There just isn't enough good games each weekend right now, while the NFL teams have the ability to lose a game just about every weekend.

The big programs don't play against each other enough, and now everything has changed and will continue to change. We are seeing more of a concentration of the big programs in the same conference. This will create better matchups, in my opinion.

Also, especially with the new 12 team (which is going to become 16 team), conferences mean much less. Conference titles mean MUCH less (I mean no on cares if their NFL team wins the NFC East, or the AFC West outside of it guaranteeing them a home playoff game). I could see a future where the football teams of these schools are no longer part of a conference. I could see them creating 4 divisions of like 12 teams. The board of this giant league would then create a more balanced schedule with more premiere matchups.

College football has grown stale, and now they can make some big changes. I think it will be for the good overall. Looking at Georgia, Michigan, LSU, Etc schedule in 2024 gives me some hope that there will be better schedules coming. There won't be as many games where the outcome is already determined before the game is played.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm optimistic. College football has been pretty poorly governed for a long time. Different teams play vastly different SOS. Most top 15 programs have 3-4 competitive games each season, at best. The other 8-9 games, if they don't win by double digits, the fans are angry. That's why the NFL is so much more watched than college football. There just isn't enough good games each weekend right now, while the NFL teams have the ability to lose a game just about every weekend.

The big programs don't play against each other enough, and now everything has changed and will continue to change. We are seeing more of a concentration of the big programs in the same conference. This will create better matchups, in my opinion.

Also, especially with the new 12 team (which is going to become 16 team), conferences mean much less. Conference titles mean MUCH less (I mean no on cares if their NFL team wins the NFC East, or the AFC West outside of it guaranteeing them a home playoff game). I could see a future where the football teams of these schools are no longer part of a conference. I could see them creating 4 divisions of like 12 teams. The board of this giant league would then create a more balanced schedule with more premiere matchups.

College football has grown stale, and now they can make some big changes. I think it will be for the good overall. Looking at Georgia, Michigan, LSU, Etc schedule in 2024 gives me some hope that there will be better schedules coming. There won't be as many games where the outcome is already determined before the game is played.
I agree with the whole SOS argument, did you look at Georgia's schedule this year? I am a ND fan and people bitch about them being independent but they wiill play Georgia, LSU, Michigan, USC on the regular, Yes we play Navy every year but there is a huge tradition and reason for that. To many teams won't schedule a difficult non conf opponent. One loss can put you out on contention. I am 60 an cannot see a scenario where ND wins another national title in my lifetime. And this is in part because of Portal, NIL and SOS

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the whole SOS argument, did you look at Georgia's schedule this year? I am a ND fan and people bitch about them being independent but they wiill play Georgia, LSU, Michigan, USC on the regular, Yes we play Navy every year but there is a huge tradition and reason for that. To many teams won't schedule a difficult non conf opponent. One loss can put you out on contention. I am 60 an cannot see a scenario where ND wins another national title in my lifetime. And this is in part because of Portal, NIL and SOS

I think this whole conference re-alignment will get the ball rolling towards a legit governing body. It's the wild, wild west in regard to NIL, player portal, and SOS. They need a board to come in and set levels and bring it to a level playing field.

I'm ready to ditch the conferences, and create a league. I'm not sure we are close to that becoming a reality soon, but I think we are heading in that direction....hopefully.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t care about the transfer portal and that stuff, it makes the game different but doesn’t weaken it IMO. The only thing I dislike is the realignment with total disregard for geography and historical rivalries. The rivalries are one of the best things about CFB and I hate seeing them destroyed because of money. I do like the 12 team playoff that’s coming up - I like how it incorporates all of the major bowls as part of the playoff and the on campus first round games will be fun. College football is different but I wouldn’t say it’s being ruined, but I do wish some of the traditional rivalries and matchups would stay.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t care about the transfer portal and that stuff, it makes the game different but doesn’t weaken it IMO. The only thing I dislike is the realignment with total disregard for geography and historical rivalries. The rivalries are one of the best things about CFB and I hate seeing them destroyed because of money. I do like the 12 team playoff that’s coming up - I like how it incorporates all of the major bowls as part of the playoff and the on campus first round games will be fun. College football is different but I wouldn’t say it’s being ruined, but I do wish some of the traditional rivalries and matchups would stay.
They did a good job with the “ballooning” rule they just passed wrt transfer portals. I think that helps.

I sorta disagree as far as NIL. I think it would be great to see some sort of cap. Not sure what that looks like, but until that happens, there will still be largely be 10 or so programs paying and getting the best players/team. It would be hard to enforce and keep up with under the table payments and other loopholes. The NCAA and IRS is looking into and fighting some of these things. I think that would go a long way wrt more parity,

Expanding the playoff will certainly help keep the interest up in that way though.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NIL, portal, and NFL devaluing RB's is about to create the perfect storm IMO. Good running game is going to be available to be bought and sold every year. I can see teams with the right boosters just bringing in a never ending cycle of the best RB in the country for a senior season. RBs can possibly make more in college than the NFL right now.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally? For a long time.

The old bowl game structure in which the Big 4 of the Cotton, Sugar, Rose, and Orange were eminent in deciding a National Champion was fantastic.

January 1 was full time wall to wall bowl watching time.

I recall the 1981 season for Nebraska.

Our non-conference season was Iowa, Florida State, Penn State, and Auburn. Went 2-2 thru that and ran the table of the Big 8. Got #1 Clemson in the Orange Bowl. A couple of upsets and the late night Orange Bowl was for the Natty.

Obviously we didn't get it done, as Perry Tuttle and the Fridge were too much.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally? For a long time.

The old bowl game structure in which the Big 4 of the Cotton, Sugar, Rose, and Orange were eminent in deciding a National Champion was fantastic.

January 1 was full time wall to wall bowl watching time.

I recall the 1981 season for Nebraska.

Our non-conference season was Iowa, Florida State, Penn State, and Auburn. Went 2-2 thru that and ran the table of the Big 8. Got #1 Clemson in the Orange Bowl. A couple of upsets and the late night Orange Bowl was for the Natty.

Obviously we didn't get it done, as Perry Tuttle and the Fridge were too much.

I disagree. The old way of doing things wasn't good at all. The national title was sometimes determined by voters as opposed to head to head play. We rarely got to see the #1 and #2 teams play at seasons end. The BCS was much better than the old bowl game structure in my opinion.

It worked from time to time, but there were many times where the two highest ranked teams never played. The old bowl system was to blame for that (i.e. Rose Bowl had a contract where the top B10 team always played the top P12 team).

ozanaminn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,915.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money ruins everything. Hate too see what college football looks like in 25 years.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The transfer portal was absolutely needed. NIL is something I am perfectly fine with, because lets face it, these kids were already getting money under the table to go to certain schools. That was a very unfair advantage that schools had, and at least now it is on the up and up. College Football isn't ruined because the pac-12 is going away (which might not even be the case).

The thing that was killing football was holding on to bullshit tradition over what was good for the sport. Bowl Games are dumb AS FUCK. Why do they still exist in the 21st century?!? Good fucking lord. Every other sport has an actual post-season, including division 2 football! March Madness is the most amazing tournament. The college world series is super fun. For College Football, there are 120ish D1 teams and they only play a handful of games so obviously they can't all play each other, so I want to see great matchups throughout the year rather than SEC teams spanking shitty ass D2 schools once a week. Big diverse conferences are good for the sport, and an expanded playoff is huge. I love 12 teams, but would like to see 16, with a tier two playoffs for the next 16 best.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The product on the field is still top notch and that’s all that matters in the end.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the conferences are turning into a joke with all the rivalries being broken up and moved out of conference.
That’s the fault of the Purdue’s Northwesterns Oregon St’s Cals etc… these programs were granted revenue sharing so they could ride the coattails of programs that actually invest in football. Now they’re wondering why they’re getting lost in the shuffle. They brought it on themselves.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the fault of the Purdue’s Northwesterns Oregon St’s Cals etc… these programs were granted revenue sharing so they could ride the coattails of programs that actually invest in football. Now they’re wondering why they’re getting lost in the shuffle. They brought it on themselves.
This is why I'm not opposed to doing away with conferences all together for football. I'd like to see them abandon the NCAA and create their own league. Narrow it down to 40-50 teams, and separate them by region. Have a governing body that overseas it, sets limits on NIL, manages player portal stuff, and regulates the team like the NFL does.

I know that with all the tv deals now that this type of system is a long way off, but I'd love to see them move in that direction. You could even create a system like they have for soccer in Europe. Teams can move in and out based on program health. Every 3-4 years evaluate the teams and see which teams in the second tier are playing amazing football, and which teams in the first tier are falling apart.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite level college football needed consolidation. The FBS needed to split in half. If this accomplishes that, then alls well that ends well.

tony34

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it's true that the NFL has a lot higher ratings than college football (though college football is still easily the second most popular sport in our country) I'm not sure it's strictly because of the reason you stated. The NFL definitely does attract more casual fans but it's not always because the games are often closer. That is the case to some degree but a lot of people who don't have a significant rooting interest in who wins also often prefer watching the best possible talent available. Also keep in mind fantasy football definitely helps out the NFL's ratings as well (many people who watch the NFL on Sunday are far more concerned about their fantasy team than who wins the actual real life game.

With that said though I find college football far more intriguing simply because the atmosphere of the games are far superior to that of the NFL. If you go to an NFL game many of the people spend as much time in the beer line as they do watching the actual game whereas with college games most of the people there are indeed die hard fans of the team and are fully invested in them. Also keep in mind that while yes games are closer in the NFL teams at the same time can still lose almost half their games and still be in good shape to make the playoffs. That makes many games in the NFL far less important.