• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where does Randy Moss rank among the GOAT WRs?

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
retur
Percy Harvin scared coordinators, so does that make him one of the greatest? I just figured the stats and rings would do the talking, however thanks for the insults.

No offense, but are you clinically retarded? Harvin? Are you one of those douchebags who became a Seahawks fan during their title season? Because any legit Seattle fans should know that even their own Steve Largent was 10x the WR that Harvin ever was. There are so many things wrong with your post that it honestly doesn't even deserve a dignified response.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On second thought, that Seahawks fan was totally right, Percy Harvin is a GOAT. I mean his schtick was being an all-purpose guy, and adding up ALL of his yardage/scoring stats combined totally comes close to top tier WR statistics. Who cares if the dude had significant injury and attitude issues that seriously limited his playing time either, I mean the guy rhode the coattails of one of the best defenses of the decade with the Seahawks to a title and returned a kickoff for a TD to open the second half of a Superbowl that was essentially decided prior to halftime, so clearly he deserves credit for being a champion. That basically makes Cordarrell Patterson just one tier below Harvin for having a similar skill set but still missing a title, Moss is about equal with Patterson because his rushing/kickoff return stats weren't as good and he also never won a title.

*End sarcasm*

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are talking about athlete and a guy that could torch you on every play the answer is Moss.
If we are talking a about consistently great, wasnt a highlight reel like Moss but he did everything well and had great longevity, Moss actually did too but Rice is ahead of most bc of the rings. I mean he did have the best QB ever throwing to him. Moss had the greatest year ever arguably by a WR when he played with Tommy Boy.

There isnt a wrong answer here, I would take either equally just depends on what you want for your offense. I love them both.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Percy Harvin scared coordinators, so does that make him one of the greatest? I just figured the stats and rings would do the talking, however thanks for the insults.

What are you smoking?? You judge players on rings, this isnt basketball. There isnt more of a team sport other than football except baseball. LOL at basing the best WR on rings. Moss and Rice are the two greatest WR's without a doubt but saying Moss is a scrub prettu much says you are just a troll.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most people have Moss top 5 of all time, (he probably would be in my top 5) so I don't scoff at anyone's opinion that believe he's the best of all time, but the OP's argument is pretty weak on most counts.

First of all - comparing their first 14 years.....without taking into consideration the respective eras is fully flawed. When the NFL adjusted/enforced the passing rules in 1995 (11 years into Rices career) is when both him and Moss shared an equal era.....and the rules only opened things up further in 2004 to the game you see today. Rice still beats out Moss in the numbers game pretty much straight up. Now, having said that, take a look at what Rice was doing vs Moss in their respective careers. Rice led the NFL in receptions twice (Moss never led in any year). Rice led the NFL in receiving yards 6 times (Moss never led in any year). Rice led the NFL in TD receptions 6 times...and this is the only stat where Moss shines (5 times) but he still trails.

And it's not like the rest of the NFL had scrub receivers that Rice just dominated. The second best receiver in Rice's prime was probably Sterling Sharpe - a guy that led the NFL in multiple categories - before his neck injury derailed his career, as well as Michael Irvin, Andre Reed and Andre Rison.

I like guys like Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson and whatnot.....Jerry Rice? In his prime in today's type of game? He's gonna have multiple years of 2000+ yards and 20+ TD's.

The QB argument? It's an easy one to simply say 'one guy has HOF'ers/the other guy had scrubs' or any similar argument. Rice's breakthrough year was 1986, and he had Montana for roughly 8 games and Mike Moroski and Jeff Kemp in the other 8 - he put up better stats without Montana. Reason? Great QB's tend to spread the ball around more where lesser guys will try and force more throws to their main targets. 1986 was still arguably Rice's best year ever (led the NFL in yards and TD's, and 2nd in receptions).

The defensive adjustment/gameplan? If you think teams just lined corners 1 on 1 with Rice game after game, year after year, closed their eyes and prayed, you're dreaming. He faced as much double coverage as anybody.

Yeah....I'll take Rice over Moss and any receiver ever...and the decision is an easy one.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you smoking?? You judge players on rings, this isnt basketball. There isnt more of a team sport other than football except baseball. LOL at basing the best WR on rings. Moss and Rice are the two greatest WR's without a doubt but saying Moss is a scrub prettu much says you are just a troll.
I said stats and rings. Moss is one of the greatest, however I fell Rice was the best. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Also if you read your own response, you also stated rings are important.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that Moss was the most talented to ever play. He is probably one of the most talented athletes to ever walk the face of the Earth. But talent isn't everything in football.

That being said, top 5, easy, and the best I ever watched in his prime.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Percy Harvin??????

Ummm

Uhhhh

What is "the thing that carries a womans make up"

Lay off the herb a lil while... its doing you no favors.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Cindy, you just gonna say Rice>>>errbody else or you gonna bring something of value to the conversation? You really stupid enough to deny Moss scared D Coordinators more than any receiver ever?

As if Rice (or any of the other GOAT's, for that matter) didn't scare DC's? lol

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most people have Moss top 5 of all time, (he probably would be in my top 5) so I don't scoff at anyone's opinion that believe he's the best of all time, but the OP's argument is pretty weak on most counts.

First of all - comparing their first 14 years.....without taking into consideration the respective eras is fully flawed. When the NFL adjusted/enforced the passing rules in 1995 (11 years into Rices career) is when both him and Moss shared an equal era.....and the rules only opened things up further in 2004 to the game you see today. Rice still beats out Moss in the numbers game pretty much straight up. Now, having said that, take a look at what Rice was doing vs Moss in their respective careers. Rice led the NFL in receptions twice (Moss never led in any year). Rice led the NFL in receiving yards 6 times (Moss never led in any year). Rice led the NFL in TD receptions 6 times...and this is the only stat where Moss shines (5 times) but he still trails.

And it's not like the rest of the NFL had scrub receivers that Rice just dominated. The second best receiver in Rice's prime was probably Sterling Sharpe - a guy that led the NFL in multiple categories - before his neck injury derailed his career, as well as Michael Irvin, Andre Reed and Andre Rison.

I like guys like Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson and whatnot.....Jerry Rice? In his prime in today's type of game? He's gonna have multiple years of 2000+ yards and 20+ TD's.

The QB argument? It's an easy one to simply say 'one guy has HOF'ers/the other guy had scrubs' or any similar argument. Rice's breakthrough year was 1986, and he had Montana for roughly 8 games and Mike Moroski and Jeff Kemp in the other 8 - he put up better stats without Montana. Reason? Great QB's tend to spread the ball around more where lesser guys will try and force more throws to their main targets. 1986 was still arguably Rice's best year ever (led the NFL in yards and TD's, and 2nd in receptions).

The defensive adjustment/gameplan? If you think teams just lined corners 1 on 1 with Rice game after game, year after year, closed their eyes and prayed, you're dreaming. He faced as much double coverage as anybody.

Yeah....I'll take Rice over Moss and any receiver ever...and the decision is an easy one.

Says my arguments for Moss over Rice by considering various factors throughout their entire careers for my evidence is "weak", then proceeds to preach about 1 specific season Rice had where Montana was his QB for only half the season.

Says Moss might not even be top 5 WR all time despite all conventional wisdom dictating that he is top 3 at a minimum.

49'ers listed as favorite team.

Yeah, gtfo of here with that homer bullshiiit, you cheeky kunt. lmao

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice
Moss
Megatron
Megatron is in the Bo Jackson category.

Only he usually was healthy-ish. Played video game football on teams with no defense. Dropped a lot of passes and lost about as many games as he won for his team.

He's in the teens at best for me. He only played for a little over a year when I considered him greatest Lion receiver ever.

He did something he was really really good at. But he didn't love football. That's not a knock. But it was noticeable. Especially at the end.

I'm still gonna wear my CJ jersey, I'm not hatin, just third seems crazynto me.

Were there multiple seasons where you think he was the best receiver in the game?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on how you look at it, was Rice the perfect receiver in the fact he ran great routes, keep himself in great shape and was never really a distraction, oh yeah. But he's miles behind Moss when it comes to being able to beat teams on his own, the Packers drafted 3 defensive backs with their first three picks in 1999 because of Moss, teams never did that for Rice. Moss is the most explosive player the NFL has ever seen and it's honestly not that close.

lolzzz on the 2nd comment!

This is the kind of baseless argument you always get from younger fans, who don't really know anything about Rice or the players before their time. "Moss was the most explosive!"... "The Packers drafted a bunch of DB's!"... Just aimless, baseless nonsense that means nothing and gives zero factual support to an argument.

If Moss is the most explosive player the NFL has ever seen. Then why didn't it result in the most explosive NFL career that the NFL has ever seen? Why does Rice's career resume DEMOLISH that of Moss's?

Moss was targeted over ONE THOUSAND more times than Rice, in his career. Yet...

All-time receiving yards:

1. Jerry Rice - 22,895

2. Terrell Owens - 15,934
3. Randy Moss - 15,292

All-time receiving TD's:

1. Jerry Rice - 197

2. Randy Moss - 157
3. Terrell Owens - 153

All-Time receptions:

1. Jerry Rice - 1,549

2. Tony Gonzalez - 1,325
3. Marvin Harrison - 1,102

(Moss, 15th with 982)

Receiving Yards Per Game: Rice 75.6... Moss 70.1

Highest Receiving Yardage Total in a Single Season: Rice 1,848... Moss 1,632

Moss was a better vertical threat, sure... but that's literally it. However, young fans who only get to look at highlight reels, just don't view Rice as being "as exciting as Moss". Well, he was... Moss was a better athlete, but Rice was easily the better receiver. Moss often shied away from doing many of the things that made Rice better than him. Rice went across the middle and wasn't afraid of a big hit, Rice moved the sticks, Rice blocked for his teammates, Rice ran every route on the tree phenomenally... and guess what? He'd ALSO beat you deep.

If you don't think that's "terrifying" to DC's, you're watching football wrong.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Lewis might've scared defenses more than anyone.

He played defense, but he's a muhfuggin murderuh.

Isn't it ironic how Ray Lewis was basically proven to have at a minimum played a key role in making a murder crime possible, if not worse, yet he went on to become a loud mouthed Jesus freak after the fact? Gotta love society's ultimate worship of sports/celebs.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the kind of baseless argument you always get from younger fans, who don't really know anything about Rice or the players before their time. "Moss was the most explosive!"... "The Packers drafted a bunch of DB's!"... Just aimless, baseless nonsense that means nothing and gives zero factual support to an argument.

If Moss is the most explosive player the NFL has ever seen. Then why didn't it result in the most explosive NFL career that the NFL has ever seen? Why does Rice's career resume DEMOLISH that of Moss's?

All-time receiving yards:

1. Jerry Rice - 22,895

2. Terrell Owens - 15,934
3. Randy Moss - 15,292

All-time receiving TD's:

1. Jerry Rice - 197

2. Randy Moss - 157
3. Terrell Owens - 153

All-Time receptions:

1. Jerry Rice - 1,549

2. Tony Gonzalez - 1,325
3. Marvin Harrison - 1,102

(Moss, 15th with 982)

Receiving Yards Per Game: Rice 75.6... Moss 70.1

Highest Receiving Yardage Total in a Single Season: Rice 1,848... Moss 1,632

Moss was a better vertical threat, sure... but that's literally it. However, young fans who only get to look at highlight reels, just don't view Rice as being "as exciting as Moss". Well, he was... Moss was a better athlete, but Rice was easily the better receiver. Moss often shied away from doing many of the things that made Rice better than him. Rice went across the middle and wasn't afraid of a big hit, Rice moved the sticks, Rice blocked for his teammates, Rice ran every route on the tree phenomenally... and guess what? He'd ALSO beat you deep.

If you don't think that's "terrifying" to DC's, you're watching football wrong.

You dumb fukk, did you not read my OP? I gave Rice his due credit for exceptional longevity, but noted that the guy had a fukking 21 year career. No fukking chit a GOAT caliber guy will put up better career stats than guys who played 6-7 seasons less than him. You call us "young" and ignorant of what preceeded the current era of football; I call you a stubborn old fukk who can't think logically for the life of him.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dumb fukk, did you not read my OP? I gave Rice his due credit for exceptional longevity, but noted that the guy had a fukking 21 year career. No fukking chit a GOAT caliber guy will put up better career stats than guys who played 6-7 seasons less than him. You call us "young" and ignorant of what preceeded the current era of football; I call you a stubborn old fukk who can't think logically for the life of him.

Lol, First... apparently you did not read MY POST.

Moss was targeted FEWER times than Rice, in his career.

Second... I'm not old. I am in my 20's, I simply know the history of the game.

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rice not only GREATLY outperformed Moss, he did so in a "run-first" era. (Hence, less career targets)

If a #1 all-time RB obliterated EVERY other RB, in every relevant statistical category, and did so with less carries than the consensus #2 all-time RB. You would NEVER attempt to make an argument for that #2 RB as being better than he was.

You know that's true.