• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Will A New HC Mean to Some of Our Veteran Players?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno making 31 million this season and it will cost nearly 9 million to release him next off season. If he regresses and gets bench or if the rookie simply wins the job outright Seahawks would be paying 40 million for a safety net. Seems extreme.

No. It will cost 17 million to release him next season. It will cost 31 million not to release him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't perfect, and i watched the game he wasn't perfect he completed 16 passes. The dallas D was atrocious

J didn't say he was perfect. He said he had a perfect passer rating. Which is demonstrably true.

You have to be a moron at this point to think dan quinn is even a consideration for HC

One game doesn't define a coach. Quinn isn't my top choice but he's not the end of the world either.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J didn't say he was perfect. He said he had a perfect passer rating. Which is demonstrably true.
Nope, he threw an incomplete pass and lost the perfect rating.

I watched the cowboys D get gashed all day on the ground, i want nothing to do with the architect of that.

One game doesn't define a coach. Quinn isn't my top choice but he's not the end of the world either.

Its a more than one game. He will fail as HC the second time around, pass.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. It will cost 17 million to release him next season. It will cost 31 million not to release him.
It would cost 17.4 to release him in 2024. Cost 8.7 to release him 2025 instead. So if you don't cut him or redo his contract Seahawks pay 31.2 million this season then 8.7 million to release him in 2025 ( or don't release him in 2025 and pay him 33.7)

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, he threw an incomplete pass and lost the perfect rating.

I watched the cowboys D get gashed all day on the ground, i want nothing to do with the architect of that.

Its a more than one game. He will fail as HC the second time around, pass.
I won't worry about it. He is just a candidate for consideration ( one of many) and today's performance made it that much more unlikely to get the position. Think PR wise it won't be popular and think the team would rather start with a fresh face any how.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would cost 17.4 to release him in 2024. Cost 8.7 to release him 2025 instead. So if you don't cut him or redo his contract Seahawks pay 31.2 million this season then 8.7 million to release him in 2025 ( or don't release him in 2025 and pay him 33.7)

Sure. But we also get a year of reasonably competent QB play from Geno this year. And if we do draft a QB then we give him a good situation to develop. I get that a lot of fans think that the best option is to just throw to the wolves out of the gate but that isn't really the case.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we also get a year of reasonably competent QB play from Geno this year.
Maybe we get reasonably competent play from Geno 2024 season or maybe he declines, or maybe the rookie just flats beats him for the starting position. Also that one year will cost the Seahawks 40 million dollars ( 31.2 plus 8.7), it's just not worth it for middle of the pack QB play. Cut the cord gain 13 million in cap space this year and simultaneously save a big chunk of cap space 2025 as Geno won't be on the books at all for 2025, not even for a penny.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we get reasonably competent play from Geno 2024 season or maybe he declines, or maybe the rookie just flats beats him for the starting position. Also that one year will cost the Seahawks 40 million dollars ( 31.2 plus 8.7), it's just not worth it for middle of the pack QB play. Cut the cord gain 13 million in cap space this year and simultaneously save a big chunk of cap space 2025 as Geno won't be on the books at all for 2025, not even for a penny.
Of the rookie beats him then you bench him. That's the whole point.

The problem with your line of thinking is the assumption that you can replace Geno with just about anyone and get the same production.

You replace Geno with someone like Tyrod Taylor And what sort of message does that send to the players?

Cutting Geno and just hoping for the best isn't a plan

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You replace Geno with someone like Tyrod Taylor And what sort of message does that send to the players?
The same message as when Pete was let go. This is a business.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the rookie beats him then you bench him. That's the whole point.
Not worth 40 million for a safety net, especially as winning a couple of extra games isn't going to make that much of a difference. I guess we'll see what the Seahawks do in a month, maybe they think Geno as a safety net is worth 40 million.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same message as when Pete was let go. This is a business.

Pete was let go because he wasn't getting it done.

Cutting Geno just to save some money doesn't improve the team.

WHO do you want to bring in to replace him? Jacoby Brissett? Tyrod Taylor? FTR, they cost 8 million last year. So your savings from Geno for 2024 goes from 13 to 5.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worth 40 million for a safety net, especially as winning a couple of extra games isn't going to make that much of a difference. I guess we'll see what the Seahawks do in a month, maybe they think Geno as a safety net is worth 40 million.

17 million of that money is already gone. So now you are talking about 23 million. Then you have to pay for his replacement.

Winning a couple of extra games may mean a great deal to a new coach. They have to prove that they are up for the job.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17 million of that money is already gone. So now you are talking about 23 million. Then you have to pay for his replacement.

Winning a couple of extra games may mean a great deal to a new coach. They have to prove that they are up for the job.
Yup pretty much like any other player, you have the dead money and you have the replacement cost. For example love Lockett, but he's not worth 27 million, so a business decision is coming up, it will involve dead money and replacement cost also. Perhaps a contract redo can happen to both or maybe that isn't going to happen because the players always feel they are worth what they make.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game doesn't define a coach.
Apparently it does. Dan Quinn is no longer a viable HC candidate because Dallas played poorly last night. Mike Macdonald better look out next week, or it's over for him too.

I guess we better run out right now and request an interview with GB's OC. He's clearly emerged as the best HC candidate because of how good they played last night, so hurry up about it just in case they don't play as well the next game in SF.

Quinn isn't my top choice but he's not the end of the world either.
I still prefer Vrabel.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup pretty much like any other player, you have the dead money and you have the replacement cost.

Exactly. When teams look to shed players they have to look at the total cost and impact.

Cutting someone like Adams makes sense because his play was nowhere close to his cap cost. Cutting him saves the team a ton of money and we already have a replacement in Love.

Geno is the 12th highest paid QB for 2024. That is in line with his performance in 2023.

I'm not against moving on from Geno. But not if it makes the team demonstrably worse. Cutting him before we know who we can replace him with is reckless.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently it does. Dan Quinn is no longer a viable HC candidate because Dallas played poorly last night. Mike Macdonald better look out next week, or it's over for him too.

I guess we better run out right now and request an interview with GB's OC. He's clearly emerged as the best HC candidate because of how good they played last night, so hurry up about it just in case they don't play as well the next game in SF.

Yeah it's funny how fickle fans and the media can be.

I still prefer Vrabel.

I would be happy with Vrabel. I would prefer Macdonald over Quinn as well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. When teams look to shed players they have to look at the total cost and impact.

Cutting someone like Adams makes sense because his play was nowhere close to his cap cost. Cutting him saves the team a ton of money and we already have a replacement in Love.

Geno is the 12th highest paid QB for 2024. That is in line with his performance in 2023.

I'm not against moving on from Geno. But not if it makes the team demonstrably worse. Cutting him before we know who we can replace him with is reckless.
Geno was QB 16, Gardner Minshew was QB 17, here is what he made: FYI he's a FA

1705334093594.png

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Matt Hasselbeck was just on with B&S. They asked him who he would be calling if he had the task of replacing Pete, and his response was that he wouldn't have let him go. He went on to say if you're going to do something like fire a coach or get rid of your QB, you have to have someone to replace them with who's better for the job. Shazam!

If you cut Geno before 2/15, you don't have a QB under contract for 2024 and the draft is still 2+ months away with no assurance you can emerge with a viable QB. You can't force a free agent to come on board, and that may end up being more costly anyway and also may not upgrade the position. I hope they can restructure and bring that 31M number down a little bit, but I can't think they'll just decide to go into the new league year with 0 QBs on the roster. Reckless is a good word for it.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
quinn may end up getting fired along with the rest of the coaching staff, its not a good look to hire the guy after that. at best he could be DC for ben johnson or bobby slowick. but even then...
now youre just being dramatic
I still prefer Vrabel.
why?