• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to Brew: Spring Edition

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah real easy. I made mine just like 757, only with a 5th pipe in the middle and I had some copper pipe laying around, so I used it. I took a thin hacksaw blade and cut slits a 1/3 of the way through the pipe about 3/4 of an inch apart. The PVC is probably easier and cheaper if you don't have copper laying around.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
transferred my IIPA to the secondary over the weekend, gonna give it 3-4 weeks in there then keg 'er up

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just bought two kits from NB. Both are German Alt biers. Planning on brewing the lighter one this weekend with East Coast Ale strain (never used it before), then use the yeast cake for the bigger German Alt.

I got the east coast yeast for free because it expired a month ago. Going to make a starter tonight.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kegged the 115th Dream IIPA yesterday. Going to be ordering ingredients for a Brew Free or Die clone shortly.

I was just talking the other day about using yeast cakes in a new beer, and harvesting the yeast cake...how do you go about it? easy to do?

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I harvested yeast only once before. The original was an Irish Red. After racking to secondary, I dumped the trub into a sanatized container, then put in the refrigerator to allow it to separate. I poured some off, then added some cold water and allowed to separate again... the water wasn't sanitized. I let it sit for a week in the fridge then pitched it into the wort. It took off pretty quick.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I've had it sitting in a primary because I ran out of carboys :)

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got around to brewing this weekend. Brewed my Southern Hemisphere IPA on Saturday and my Oceania Black IPA yesterday. I used a variety of Aussie and NZ hops on both beers, no American or English hops. They should both hopefully come in at around 7-8% ABV as well. Used WLP001 on the Gold IPA and WLP002 on the Black.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got around to brewing this weekend. Brewed my Southern Hemisphere IPA on Saturday and my Oceania Black IPA yesterday. I used a variety of Aussie and NZ hops on both beers, no American or English hops. They should both hopefully come in at around 7-8% ABV as well. Used WLP001 on the Gold IPA and WLP002 on the Black.

I volunteer to be a taster, especially considering I'm only an hour from Roanoke.

A black IPA may be one of my next brews.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I volunteer to be a taster, especially considering I'm only an hour from Roanoke.

A black IPA may be one of my next brews.

:suds:

The new SN IPA pack has a pretty damned good one in it, Blindfold.

I'm still on the lookout for 21st Amendment's Back in Black. I think it is supposed to be one of the best Cascadian Dark Ales/BIPA.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I must have gotten 90-95% attenuation on my beers according to my OG vs. FG, lmao.

More likely I need a new hydrometer. The stuff was bubblin like a sumbitch for a number of days though. I made a 2L starter for both beers. I also added some sugar in both for the first time.The BlackIPA blew the top off in 6 hours, before I had a chance to put a blowoff tube on.

Maybe, just maybe the beer gods will bless me with 2 cases each of 9.3% Black IIPA and 7.8% IIPA....

But I doubt it. Smells pretty awesome though. Will probably dry hop with 3 oz. in each this weekend... :suds:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm still on the lookout for 21st Amendment's Back in Black. I think it is supposed to be one of the best Cascadian Dark Ales/BIPA.

it is very good. I'm not a huge BIPA fan, but i like 'em alright...this one definitely hits the mark though

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I must have gotten 90-95% attenuation on my beers according to my OG vs. FG, lmao.

More likely I need a new hydrometer. The stuff was bubblin like a sumbitch for a number of days though. I made a 2L starter for both beers. I also added some sugar in both for the first time.The BlackIPA blew the top off in 6 hours, before I had a chance to put a blowoff tube on.

Maybe, just maybe the beer gods will bless me with 2 cases each of 9.3% Black IIPA and 7.8% IIPA....

But I doubt it. Smells pretty awesome though. Will probably dry hop with 3 oz. in each this weekend... :suds:

so far, i've only had 1 brew blow the top off my fermentor, and that was a strawberry wheat i did years ago. never used a blowoff tube, i just use the 3 piece airlock.

$T2eC16J,!ykE9s7twB-TBQY08k3s6Q~~60_35.JPG

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've started using blow off tubing when I've done some of the larger gravity (1.060+) beers along with a yeast starter. Even though I use a 6 gallon fermenter and have additional space, I just feel more comfortable. Just plug the center post of my 3 piece airlock with the tubing from my racking cane and run it into my brew kettle filled with sanitizer and water. I've had to clean up a couple bottle bombs last year and I don't want to see what would happen if the lid to my fermenter blew off, especially since all of my equipment sits in a guest room closet.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I may see if I can find the SN IPA pack around here. I don't have the greatest selection in my area, but am heading to Blacksburg for the spring game and may stop by the Vintage Cellar or pick up something I can't find here from that Kroger since they seem to have a decent selection last time I checked. Probably will have dinner at Bull and Bones either that Friday night or after the game, so I'll also be sure to bring a growler along with me to take home.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobra,

You ever go to Wine Gourmet down on 419, near Cave Spring in Roanoke (Tanglewood)?? You can get some very difficult to find brews in there. I've meaning to ask them if they can order heady topper or some other ones too. They have a great selection of wine too ... If you like that stuff.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobra,

You ever go to Wine Gourmet down on 419, near Cave Spring in Roanoke (Tanglewood)?? You can get some very difficult to find brews in there. I've meaning to ask them if they can order heady topper or some other ones too. They have a great selection of wine too ... If you like that stuff.

Nope, never even heard of it. May have to check it out when I'm in Roanoke again. I do like wine, but I'm not one for buying 'rare' wines that I can't get in the local grocery store. Even then, I buy wine maybe a few times per year for special occasions.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shit, just remembered i got payed today. need to order ingredients!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brew Free or Die IPA ordered.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just bought two kits from NB. Both are German Alt biers. Planning on brewing the lighter one this weekend with East Coast Ale strain (never used it before), then use the yeast cake for the bigger German Alt.

I got the east coast yeast for free because it expired a month ago. Going to make a starter tonight.

Just racked the smaller alt to secondary, and dropped in the second alt, brewed today, directly on the yeast cake.

My mead is killing me though. It's been 3 weeks and it's only down to 1.050. I just pitched some wine yeast to try to kick start it.

Currently have a 1 year old barelywine on tap, and just kegged a fruit tripel (peaches and mango).

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My son and I made some root beer on Tuesday. Turned out ok, but it is way over carbonated. I also think the extract was a bit him for the amount we made. But the flavor is pretty good still.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you guys ever gotten a yeast cake that was near an inch and a half thick?? That's what my Black IPA was sitting on. It was exciting to see that.

Maybe it will be close to 8.5-9% :suds: