• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to Brew: Spring Edition

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have an IPA I have been putting off long enough, gonna brew it up Wednesday then add some mango to the secondary to make a mango IPA. Other than that NB has a new kit I want to try the Plinian Legacy, but not sure I will get to it for a while. Ialso want to brew up another Wheaton Beatdown with my alternate hop schedule. That one turned out almost perfect for how I wanted it.

My actual problem right now is that I have about 10 cases of beer in my basement right now and I drink less than a case a month. I have given away 10 cases or more over the last month, but it just keeps piling up. I would skip my freebies this month, but I am fundamentally opposed to skipping anything free. I will, however, be giving it all away, I just don't have the room for any more.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got a Australian Sparkling Ale in the fermentor now, got an Imperial IPA on deck to be brewed as soon as my fermentor is freed up, ordering ingredients for an amber soon

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't brewed in a while but I have had some "Down Under" hops for a couple months, so I'll probably make something hoppy. Got over a 1/2 pound total of Galaxy, Green Bullet, Ella, Topaz, and Pacifica. Think I might make a CDA/Black IPA..

Hopefully brewing in the next month.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I haven't tried the Sierra Madre, hope it works out for you. My experience with them is this, if you follow the directions you will end up with a good beer. I wouldn't buy something to brew from them unless you know it is a style you like however.

I finally brewed up the NB Chinook IPA kit I have had for months. Did a slight mod to the hops, nothing major. I had an extra packet so I added an ounce at 20 and 1 instead of a half at each. Good thing about Wisconsin, it is 10 degrees so I just sit it outside to cool.

I gave a friend my last modified Wheaten Beat down, I tried to brew that one to taste like 3 Floyd's Alpha King, I loved it, and my friend said it was better than Alpha King, so guess what I will be brewing again. It will have to be soon though because Iliked it better after 6 months in the bottle than I did fresh. I would want it for next winter, so sometime in the next couple months.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Forgot to mention last night, took a gravity reading on the IPA. It came out at 1.070. The recipe called for on OG of 1.053. I have no clue where the extra gravity came from. I did add the 5 oz of sugar they gave me for bottling, but that isn't nearly enough to raise it that much. It took off fermenting right away as well, had some bubble action at about 6 hours. Going good after 12. I am not getting much aroma off of the airlock yet, but hopefully tonight I will.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well the IPA inflicting along quite nicely. Sat at 65° for the first couple days, but checked it around noon today and it was up to 67°. Moved it a little closer to the outside door in the room it is sitting in, so hopefully that brings it back down. Not that it matters the US05 is good up to 71 according to the stat sheet. I think this is the best ferment I have had so far, usually it will get away from me a little, but if history repeats, it should be getting close to fermenting out in a day or two, possibly even sooner. I think 05 ferment pretty rapidly, but haven't used it in a while so I don't really remember.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got two Midwest kits in the mail after being stalled due to the snow last week. Our preacher will be leaving our church at the end of the school year to join her husband who is leaving next week for a new job and several of us in our group (parents with young children) are going to throw a going away party. A friend, who just happens to be my boss, said that I should make some beer for the gathering, so I got to order my first kits in a long time.

Figured I'd try to stay 'simple' for those that typically drink bud/miller with the Hex Nut Brown Ale and have another for those of us that branch out with the Ferocious IPA (their Surly Furious clone...I brewed NB's version last year and loved it, but they're out of stock with that kit).

Will brew the IPA this weekend so that it may have a little time to mellow and the brown ale later.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was going to brew a tripel yesterday but the yeast starter didn't get going for about 30 hours... So I'll brew this weekend. This will be my first belgian. Planning to add mango and peaches

in carboys now:
4/2013 barelywine (partialmash) - planning to bottle in apr
11/2013 barelywine (all grain)
1/2014 IIPA (all grain) and is dry hopping now in secondary. Keg this weekend
1/2014 red (all grain) primary
2/2014 IIPA (extract) primary

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopbursted Imperial IPA went into the primary on Saturday...smelling delicious.

I need to get some more fermenters so I can have a lineup like chip!

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopbursted Imperial IPA went into the primary on Saturday...smelling delicious.

I need to get some more fermenters so I can have a lineup like chip!

I haven't tried that technique yet. Have you had success?

since I started brewing a lot of big beers, a lot of fermenters are needed for aging. next up will be my first mead attempt I got in on a good bulk deal of honey.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I need more fermenter also. It takes forever to ferment out honey. I have one of my fermenter's tied up with that and the other with the IPA. I should be bottling the IPA this weekend so that will free that one up. The other, who knows, the worst part on that one is the wait. Before I pitched the second packet of yeast to try to ferment out the honey, it wasn't all that good. Now all I can do is wait, thought it would take a week or two, but I am now going on a month and it is still bubbling away.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't tried that technique yet. Have you had success?

since I started brewing a lot of big beers, a lot of fermenters are needed for aging. next up will be my first mead attempt I got in on a good bulk deal of honey.

this is my first go 'round with it. unfortunately, I didn't realize til I got started, northernbrewer shorted me 2oz of Cluster....
was supposed to be
2oz Cluster @60
2oz Cluster @30
3oz Hopburst Blend @15
3oz Blend @10
3oz Blend @5
3oz Blend @0

Instead I went with 1.5 oz Cluster @ 60 and .5 @ 30

I've really been wanting to do a mead for a few years now, just haven't gotten around to it yet

I plan on giving this one 2 weeks in primary, and probably 4 weeks in the secondary...might just be a good time to get another carboy

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got my 2 L yeast starter going last night with the Headwaters Ale Wyeast. Looking to brew the Ferocious IPA tomorrow and let it mellow for a few months if I can keep from "sampling" it along the way.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maibock into the primary Wednesday. A lot of things coming up. An Irish Red, a Stout (Haven't decided what type yet. Leaning towards a chocolate.), an Amber, a Gose and a Hefe. Damn, where am I gonna find the time...

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Got the IPA bottled on Saturday, start third shift tonight so it should be ready on my next day off.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am now all out of kits. Trying to get all the parts together for a mash tun, just need a stopper of some sort and a strainer of some sort and the approval of my wife to convert one of our coolers. Once that is done I will be brewing Lorain, so I am not sure I will buy any more kits. There are a few I want to try out, but I would rather brew the allgrain version for less money.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maibock into the primary Wednesday. A lot of things coming up. An Irish Red, a Stout (Haven't decided what type yet. Leaning towards a chocolate.), an Amber, a Gose and a Hefe. Damn, where am I gonna find the time...

What kind of fermentation chamber do you use? I'd love to make a Maibock some day.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am now all out of kits. Trying to get all the parts together for a mash tun, just need a stopper of some sort and a strainer of some sort and the approval of my wife to convert one of our coolers. Once that is done I will be brewing Lorain, so I am not sure I will buy any more kits. There are a few I want to try out, but I would rather brew the allgrain version for less money.

pretty easy to convert a cooler to mash tun. Just replace the little drainer thingy with a ball valve, get som 1/2" pvc and construct a manifold, and drill some holes

20110926-171842-mash-tun-filter.jpg