• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to Brew: Spring Edition

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IPA
IPA
IPA
IPA

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you guys ever gotten a yeast cake that was near an inch and a half thick?? That's what my Black IPA was sitting on. It was exciting to see that.

Maybe it will be close to 8.5-9% :suds:

The krausen during fermentation you mean? If so... yeah I've had mine blow out the top of the airlock :(

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Australian Sparkling Ale was a hit. Took 48 bottles to our baby shower, came home with 7. Got good remarks all around, from fellow homebrewers, the father of a professional brewer, and natty ice drinkers alike.

Would highly recommend this one from NB

now i've got to figure out when i can brew my brew free or die clone. weekends are booked for the foreseeable future...gonna have to take a day off i think

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The krausen during fermentation you mean? If so... yeah I've had mine blow out the top of the airlock :(

My krausen must have been huge, because it did blow the top off of this thing 6hrs into fermentation :( but I got a blowoff tube on it with the quickness.

But no, I was referring to the yeast cake/grub my wort was sitting on when I transferred. Maybe I am getting excited over nothing, but it was at least an inch and a half thick, maybe close to two inches. That seemed awfully thick compared to other batches. I would assume this is normal for higher gravity brews???

Dry hopped this weekend... My Black got 2oz of Galaxy and an ounce of Nelson Sauvin.
My other IPA got an ounce each of Ella, Pacifica and Topaz.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottled :gaah: my brew this weekend and had a little sample of each.

The Black IPA tasted pretty awesome without carbonation. Resinous, Very Candylike, with a little alcohol burn. I think the hop, malt and yeast combo might turn out to be excellent.

The other brew I am not sure on. It was mostly an extract brew with a little bit of steeping grains, but plenty of hops ... yet it didn't have as much flavor as I was hoping for. Might turn out to be more of a extra pale ale or esb type of beer.

Still its not a ruined double batch (like last time).... so I am pretty stoked about having some drinkable homebrew for the first time in months..

We'll see what the final results are.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

The new SN IPA pack has a pretty damned good one in it, Blindfold.

I'm still on the lookout for 21st Amendment's Back in Black. I think it is supposed to be one of the best Cascadian Dark Ales/BIPA.

ah here it is, like i mentioned in the other thread, found the IPA pack, looking forward to getting to know the others in there:D

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
took the day off tomorrow. going to be brewing my 21st Amendment, Brew Free or Die IPA clone

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know nothing about brewing. However, as a graduation gift for my son I bought him a complete, deluxe starter kit. He never even thought about brewing, but now is pretty excited about giving it a try.

The kit is supposed to have everything he would need to get started. Also bought a German Altbier kit for his first brew kit. I knew he was very fond of the beer in Germany, so hopefully this will be a good one for him.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know nothing about brewing. However, as a graduation gift for my son I bought him a complete, deluxe starter kit. He never even thought about brewing, but now is pretty excited about giving it a try.

The kit is supposed to have everything he would need to get started. Also bought a German Altbier kit for his first brew kit. I knew he was very fond of the beer in Germany, so hopefully this will be a good one for him.

Nice graduation gift!

If you can follow a recipe, you can brew beer. If you want to see some pictures of each step, check out one of my threads I made a couple months back. I took pictures of pretty much each step for an extract and specialty grain brew (most likely what he's getting with that kit). I'm certainly no expert, but should give you/him an idea of what he's getting into.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/beer-forum/139846-ferocious-ipa-homewbrew.html

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice graduation gift!

If you can follow a recipe, you can brew beer. If you want to see some pictures of each step, check out one of my threads I made a couple months back. I took pictures of pretty much each step for an extract and specialty grain brew (most likely what he's getting with that kit). I'm certainly no expert, but should give you/him an idea of what he's getting into.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/beer-forum/139846-ferocious-ipa-homewbrew.html

i took a bunch of pictures of my Brew Free or Die all-grain brew, to do a thread in the style of yours, to give it the all grain perspective....but i've been lazy and havent felt like uploading it all, lol. i'll get around to it soon.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read through this, sorry if it was covered, I'm new to the brewing game, anybody know any good Lager recipes? I'm looking for something along the lines of Sam Adams, a hoppier lager. Any ideas? Thoughts?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read through this, sorry if it was covered, I'm new to the brewing game, anybody know any good Lager recipes? I'm looking for something along the lines of Sam Adams, a hoppier lager. Any ideas? Thoughts?

If you are new to the game... then Lager is a tough place to start. You will a need dedicated, controlled environment to ferment your sweet nectar at a maximum of probably 55F (ie: an spare refrigerator). You will also need something to control the temperature... There are items out there available for purchase. Layers also require a much higher yeast count, so you will either have to 2 or 3 vials of yeast per batch, or make starters (which is much cheaper). You may already know all of this?? If so, sorry.

There are some great clone recipes out there for just about anything you want. Sam Adams Boston Lager, Oktoberfest.....

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are new to the game... then Lager is a tough place to start. You will a need dedicated, controlled environment to ferment your sweet nectar at a maximum of probably 55F (ie: an spare refrigerator). You will also need something to control the temperature... There are items out there available for purchase. Layers also require a much higher yeast count, so you will either have to 2 or 3 vials of yeast per batch, or make starters (which is much cheaper). You may already know all of this?? If so, sorry.

There are some great clone recipes out there for just about anything you want. Sam Adams Boston Lager, Oktoberfest.....

this.