• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What I saw Sunday

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I witnessed the kind of offense I have want to see which was balanced and focused. If anything the reason we did not score more points was Brady but that defense is not chopped liver on the other side. They have a great interior pass rush and the safeties and cornerbacks are elite.

The rookie wide receivers looked better and I read somewhere where Dobson was criticized for not catching with his hands yesterday which is absolutely wrong. I just looked at the game on the condensed NFL rewind and he caught 6 of 7 with his hands and the one he let get to his body was necessary because he went low to get a low throw from Brady which was where the pass had to be and how he had to catch it to keep it from being incomplete. He was targeted 10 times with 7 receptions and all three non completions are on Brady. Dobson was wide open in the endzone but Brady did not hit him do to a rush and he threw high right on a short out to the right corner at the marker. Dobson was Brady's primary target while Revis took edelman out of the game. Not only did he catch it well but his blocking helped multiple good runs.

Thomplins caught 3 of 7 thrown his way with one bad drop but his first touchdown was excellent recognition by Thompkins that he had a mismatch and rather than take it deep he cut it inside and Brady hit him and he made it look easy running into endzone. His second touchdown was a result of Thompkins again recognizing the situation and changing his route to the back line of the endzone where Brady hit him.

Because of the Tampa safeties the correct offense was to keep it underneath the safety help nbut Brady missed a wide open Sudfeld down the left sideline but he showed confidence in DObson on a deep pass down the right hash that resulted in defensive pass interference. Boyce was in for several plays and Brady missed him when he was wide open on a corner route. Bolden broke off a right sideline go route that if he had continued was 6 points. Rookies and young players make mistakes.

Brady was 25 of 36 and could easily have been 30 of 36 or better. The running game was consistent and at times explosive. Boldin is a big play waiting to happen and Ridley ran hard and Blount is the big back we have been looking for. I have no idea why BB did not go for field goal up 23-3 could it have been mercy.

Vollmer went down but I thought Cannon played very well at Right Tackle.

I do not know ifn the defense is elite but Tampa is a talented team on offense and can run it well and Jackson and Williams are elite receivers. Talib did a great job on Jackson until he went down and when he was on Williams he did well. Chandler Jones is special and Tommy Kelly has a nack for getting to QN and Vince is Vince and Ninko played well. I thought out Linebackers were excellent in coverage but I am worried about our depth at D-line. Chandler Jones is special but I prefer him on the edge and not at DT although that kid absolutely never tales a play off.

After the first quarter NE dominated the time of possession and the game. In many ways it looked like the Pats of 2003 and 2004. Gronk will make a huge difference but Hooman had 2 nice receptions on 2 targets and did his usual great job blocking.

Big game Sunday evening against Atlanta but I like our chances a lot better after Sunday. The Pats will be a very scary team by years end if Amendola and Gronk are back. I hope Vollmer is not seriously hurt but it is a foot and they can be tough heals although Cannon is good enough to replace him.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I witnessed the kind of offense I have want to see which was balanced and focused. If anything the reason we did not score more points was Brady but that defense is not chopped liver on the other side. They have a great interior pass rush and the safeties and cornerbacks are elite.

The rookie wide receivers looked better and I read somewhere where Dobson was criticized for not catching with his hands yesterday which is absolutely wrong. I just looked at the game on the condensed NFL rewind and he caught 6 of 7 with his hands and the one he let get to his body was necessary because he went low to get a low throw from Brady which was where the pass had to be and how he had to catch it to keep it from being incomplete. He was targeted 10 times with 7 receptions and all three non completions are on Brady. Dobson was wide open in the endzone but Brady did not hit him do to a rush and he threw high right on a short out to the right corner at the marker. Dobson was Brady's primary target while Revis took edelman out of the game. Not only did he catch it well but his blocking helped multiple good runs.

Thomplins caught 3 of 7 thrown his way with one bad drop but his first touchdown was excellent recognition by Thompkins that he had a mismatch and rather than take it deep he cut it inside and Brady hit him and he made it look easy running into endzone. His second touchdown was a result of Thompkins again recognizing the situation and changing his route to the back line of the endzone where Brady hit him.

Because of the Tampa safeties the correct offense was to keep it underneath the safety help nbut Brady missed a wide open Sudfeld down the left sideline but he showed confidence in DObson on a deep pass down the right hash that resulted in defensive pass interference. Boyce was in for several plays and Brady missed him when he was wide open on a corner route. Bolden broke off a right sideline go route that if he had continued was 6 points. Rookies and young players make mistakes.

Brady was 25 of 36 and could easily have been 30 of 36 or better. The running game was consistent and at times explosive. Boldin is a big play waiting to happen and Ridley ran hard and Blount is the big back we have been looking for. I have no idea why BB did not go for field goal up 23-3 could it have been mercy.

Vollmer went down but I thought Cannon played very well at Right Tackle.

I do not know ifn the defense is elite but Tampa is a talented team on offense and can run it well and Jackson and Williams are elite receivers. Talib did a great job on Jackson until he went down and when he was on Williams he did well. Chandler Jones is special and Tommy Kelly has a nack for getting to QN and Vince is Vince and Ninko played well. I thought out Linebackers were excellent in coverage but I am worried about our depth at D-line. Chandler Jones is special but I prefer him on the edge and not at DT although that kid absolutely never tales a play off.

After the first quarter NE dominated the time of possession and the game. In many ways it looked like the Pats of 2003 and 2004. Gronk will make a huge difference but Hooman had 2 nice receptions on 2 targets and did his usual great job blocking.

Big game Sunday evening against Atlanta but I like our chances a lot better after Sunday. The Pats will be a very scary team by years end if Amendola and Gronk are back. I hope Vollmer is not seriously hurt but it is a foot and they can be tough heals although Cannon is good enough to replace him.

I was the one that mentioned Dobson is still catcing with his chest and it's still true. Not all the catches of course but there were some. So it's not wrong I watched it. Now the issue I have is the bobbles, he bobbled another yesterday, he caught mind you but I just think he needs to hone his fundementals still.

I am pleaed the rooks looked a lot better agains what was supposed to be a good D. They are coming along.

I am going to say this one last time because I am weary of the conversation now. Dobson has the potential to be the best WR on this team and the best we have drafted in a long time. But he is a rookie, he is still raw, I just don't think he is all that and a bag of chips quite yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even going talk about this D until after week 6. We'll know who they are after that. This BS about elite D with the crappy O's we've played is homerism at it's best.

The biggest thing I've noticed; This offense is leaving a lot of points off the board. I'm not talking FG's that could of been TD's. The rookies are getting open. Brady has missed them. Whether it's a throw or just not seeing it. Boyce was wide open running down the middle and Brady throws incomplete to Sudfeld. Boyce would of been a TD. This has been the third week of this.

They will get on the same page and 30+ a game will be easy.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even going talk about this D until after week 6. We'll know who they are after that. This BS about elite D with the crappy O's we've played is homerism at it's best.

The biggest thing I've noticed; This offense is leaving a lot of points off the board. I'm not talking FG's that could of been TD's. The rookies are getting open. Brady has missed them. Whether it's a throw or just not seeing it. Boyce was wide open running down the middle and Brady throws incomplete to Sudfeld. Boyce would of been a TD. This has been the third week of this.

That's a great assessment but saying anything about Tom on these boards tends to draw the ire of some. Brady is missing a lot of throws he used to make. And while no one wants to see it or believe it, it is true. And we will likely loose Mallett because they refuse to take a long hard look at Tom.

I too have stated this D is not elite, in fact it's an asinine proposal. Elite in short means untouchable, head and shoulders above all else, this D is not that. I stated in another thread you don't get an elite D every year, you have good ones and great ones but not Elite. That being said right now this D is good with the possibility to be great, we will see after the Falcons and Saints and Donks IMO

What will help this D, is the receiving corps and Tom gelling points on the board and first downs directly effect how a D plays.

At 3-0 I also question if it's smart to hurry Gronk it would be nice but we seem okay right now. We ran on the Bucs fairly well I think we can run on the Falcons too and rest Gronk one more week.

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How long have you been watching Brady? He takes the safe short throw over a wide open deeper throw 3 out of 4 times.

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How long have you been watching Brady? He takes the safe short throw over a wide open deeper throw 3 out of 4 times. His arm strength isnt the problem but he has a problem putting the right arc on the deeper throws.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timing that affects the rookies affects Brady too. Brady performs best when he is inside the head of his receivers. He'll get there.
I'm expecting Gronk to play but I'm hoping it's just a few plays. Take some hits and keep working.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timing that affects the rookies affects Brady too. Brady performs best when he is inside the head of his receivers. He'll get there.
I'm expecting Gronk to play but I'm hoping it's just a few plays. Take some hits and keep working.

If that meathead Gronk can figure out time these rooks should be able to. Not figure out but get in tune with.

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree about Dobson as far as it concerns the game Sunday. He caught everything with his hands except for the low throw over the middle when Brady led him low for protection. Once the coaches tape is up I will verify it. I am able to stop the video and Dobson used his hands on 6 of his 7 receptions and had no drops.

As for Brady it has a lot to do with his confidence in the receivers. Remember 2006 when he throwing to NOBODY and by the end of the year that offense was potent and if Caldwell had used his hands and caught the first down pass on the right sideline we win that game and we win the Superbowl. Brady and this offense will be very potent later on in the year but the strides made in a week are impressive.

This defense does not need to be elite for the Pats to be very good is doing what it could not do last year. It has made ordinary quarterbacks look horrible and that is all they can do. Sunday evening will be a big test but I think they will play well. I am not as upbeat as briz but I do agree with briz that this defense has the chance to be elite.

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is everything on this forum elite nowadays. The defense , TB's receivers. holy Cow. The defense is what it is now good. Like someone else said, wait till the next three games. They did what they needed to do in these first three. Again the secondary has not really been tested. No Tampa Bay is not an Elite offense as someone has posted. Good maybe. Jackson is a good receiver as well as Williams but they are not elite. This week they will see a better passing attack and lets see how they do. As far as the offense a big improvement over the first 2 weeks and that is what you like to see coming up. Keep improving and gelling down the stretch.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dobson will be fine hes got good hands its just early and new, speed of the game needs to get adjusted to.

it was surprising to see the pats use Bolden in the vereen role i didnt know he could do that he looked good. blount was rumbling this game glad he got some touches. get gronk in there and amendola back this o is gunna be good. only dissapointment has been sudfeld whats up with him? thought he was the next shannon sharpe with all the hype he was getting.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady himself has mentioned that it's not just his WR or TE and that he needs to do better and he has missed a lot of throws and it keeps him up at night thinking about how poorly he did.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dobson will be fine hes got good hands its just early and new, speed of the game needs to get adjusted to.

it was surprising to see the pats use Bolden in the vereen role i didnt know he could do that he looked good. blount was rumbling this game glad he got some touches. get gronk in there and amendola back this o is gunna be good. only dissapointment has been sudfeld whats up with him? thought he was the next shannon sharpe with all the hype he was getting.

Exactly he still needs time to develop .

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I witnessed the kind of offense I have want(ed) to see which was balanced and focused."

A balanced offense is not as relevant or important in today's NFL and Belichick recently pointed this out to two interviewers when he said, in essence: "The object is to score points and if the team has to pass more against some opponents to do it, or run more against others, that's what they'll do."

Modern Day Football 101

Get the book.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I witnessed the kind of offense I have want(ed) to see which was balanced and focused."

A balanced offense is not as relevant or important in today's NFL and Belichick recently pointed this out to two interviewers when he said, in essence: "The object is to score points and if the team has to pass more against some opponents to do it, or run more against others, that's what they'll do."

Modern Day Football 101

Get the book.

A balanced offense is relevant and to assume it's not is asinine and it's why we continually lose playoff games. If BB believed what he said he would not have built the RB stable he has.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A balanced offense is relevant and to assume it's not is asinine and it's why we continually lose playoff games. If BB believed what he said he would not have built the RB stable he has.

Obviously you need a running game but you don't need balance...unless you choose not to believe what Belichick said or think he's asinine for saying it. He said the object is to score points. What do you think that means...above all things...be balanced??? It doesn't. If your advantage against a certain team is through the air, should you run 50% of the time? If your advantage is on the ground should you pass 50% of the time? That's what a balanced offense would do but it ain't smart football. Expect this...the Pats will run the ball to eat up the clock if they're ahead and that will skew the play calling toward balance but it isn't how they got the lead in the first place. Considering they have ZERO rushing TDs.

Look at the Broncos for example, do you think they should run the ball 50% of the time with Manniing and the pieces they have in place? He currently has TWELVE TDs and ZERO Ints and the Broncos are #1 in the league in the passing game. On the flip side, they have THREE RUSHING TDs and are 15th in the league in rushing. Balance you say? The Broncos have rushed 87 times and thrown the ball 122 times yet for some STRANGE REASON THEY LEAD THE LEAGUE IN SCORING!!!

Do you seriously think it's smart football for the Broncos to run the ball 50% of the time and they're asinine if they don't???

That being said, this current on-the-field team will run more than your Daddy's Patriots because of the pieces Brady has to work in the passing game. They're currently 22nd in passing offense and 13th in rushing. Do you think that will change when Gronk and Amendola come back? Obviously it will because the passing game will be more potent. When they come back I won't be begging for more runs...maybe you and Rehone will but I won't. Despite having the current "RB stable" as you put it, the Pats have run the ball 91 times with ZERO TDs and thrown the ball 127 times with FIVE TDs.

Let me guess...you're an old school fan? This ain't the old league....the modern NFL is a PASSING LEAGUE.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope you're right but I fear his hands will get worse when the weather gets worse and the cold New England winter sets in.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you need a running game but you don't need balance...unless you choose not to believe what Belichick said or think he's asinine for saying it. He said the object is to score points. What do you think that means...above all things...be balanced??? It doesn't. If your advantage against a certain team is through the air, should you run 50% of the time? If your advantage is on the ground should you pass 50% of the time? That's what a balanced offense would do but it ain't smart football. Expect this...the Pats will run the ball to eat up the clock if they're ahead and that will skew the play calling toward balance but it isn't how they got the lead in the first place. Considering they have ZERO rushing TDs.

Look at the Broncos for example, do you think they should run the ball 50% of the time with Manniing and the pieces they have in place? He currently has TWELVE TDs and ZERO Ints and the Broncos are #1 in the league in the passing game. On the flip side, they have THREE RUSHING TDs and are 15th in the league in rushing. Balance you say? The Broncos have rushed 87 times and thrown the ball 122 times yet for some STRANGE REASON THEY LEAD THE LEAGUE IN SCORING!!!

Do you seriously think it's smart football for the Broncos to run the ball 50% of the time and they're asinine if they don't???

That being said, this current on-the-field team will run more than your Daddy's Patriots because of the pieces Brady has to work in the passing game. They're currently 22nd in passing offense and 13th in rushing. Do you think that will change when Gronk and Amendola come back? Obviously it will because the passing game will be more potent. When they come back I won't be begging for more runs...maybe you and Rehone will but I won't. Despite having the current "RB stable" as you put it, the Pats have run the ball 91 times with ZERO TDs and thrown the ball 127 times with FIVE TDs.

Let me guess...you're an old school fan? This ain't the old league....the modern NFL is a PASSING LEAGUE.

This is dumb. No team say's we are going to run exactly 50% of the time this game and pass exactly 50% of the time this game. Attempting to make it as if it were meant to be that literal is juvenile. Balance in essence means having the ability to run or pass the majority of a specific game based on the weaker aspect of the opposing defense, which is exactly why BB built a young versatile RB stable. BBs approach to defense has always been take away their best weapon on offense exploit their weakness, do you think his mindset is really different on offense? He understands the importance of versatility which means he must have balance.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having balance on offense isn't about running/passing 50% of the time each. It's the ability to do both when you need to.