• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do we have to do to lock up the Atlantic?

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 10 games left for the Penguins, they have a maximum of 20 points sitting out there. Flyers are 6 points ahead, so their magic number for the division is 14 (20-6), assuming the Flyers maintain the tiebreaker (up 5 in ROW). Those 14 can be any combination of Flyers points or points the Penguins squander. A regulation win on Thursday for either team is a 4 point swing in the magic number.

Best case scenario, meaning the Penguins lose every game in regulation and the Flyers win every game, the division would be clinched a few hours before the Boston game next Sunday.

Damn, I wrote that 7 days ago, with a possible 16 points in the magic number category (4 Penguins games + 4 Flyers games * 2 points per game) up for grabs, and the Flyers got 4. Fucking 4 out of 16. :tsk:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HUGE win last night. Magic number for the Atlantic is now 6, and we own the tiebreaker. Six games for us to play and five for them. We could really use a Tampa win tomorrow; they are the only good team left on the Pens schedule. We still have the Rangers and Sabres; it's looking like both of those games are going to be desperate affairs for our opposition.

As far as the conference goes, Washington's schedule is relatively easy (how come everyone chasing us still has games against Florida?), and there's certainly a scenario where we tie and they win the tiebreaker. Magic number in that scenario is 8, 7 if we hold the tiebreaker. Magic number to beat out Boston is 6 as well, but I find it unlikely that they'd catch us and nobody else did, so I'm not as concerned about that.

I don't want to give odds and jinx us though. That's how that sort of thing works.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very unlikely that anyone will catch us for the first tiebreaker, which I think could be critical. Only Boston could perhaps catch us there if they win out and we lose a couple. Even then, they'd have to tie us, which would mean we'd have to acquire less than 6 points in the remaining 6 games (see below).

The division should be about locked up. If we can't get 6 points in only 6 games when 4 of the games are against non-playoff teams, then we deserve to play Tampa in round one and get bounced.

We've lost recently to basically every team left on the schedule minus the Isles. That is a little disconcerting. These are still teams we should beat, regardless. There are no excuses here.

There should be a measure of revenge on our minds, especially for the game tomorrow night. I am sick and tired of getting beat by Atlanta (a team we've always dominated) and our players should be too.

Last edited by a moderator: