• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the Odds of Tedenby, Henrique, JJ all making the team?

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Note: Most of this analysis is predicated on the Devils top 9 forwards currently in play.

A lot of people on this forum and others are slotting in the three big forward prospects into their hypothetical rosters. I personally feel like this is a huge stretch.

Josefson

I've said before that, since the Devils need a center, he has the best shot to make the team. I think he's almost a shoe in at this point with the Devils reserving the spot for him. The only way he doesn't make it is if he has a horrible camp/pre-season or Henrique just blows the doors off AmeriHealth Pavilion. If he doesn't have a strong showing, I would strongly suspect the Devils would bring back Dean McAmmond since he wouldn't be a strain on the cap hit.

Also, playing in the men's league in Sweeden is a big difference from playing in Canadian juniors.

Henrique

He's probably going to need to pass JJ on the depth chart in camp if he's going to claim a roster spot with the Devils. Pelley could probably revert to center to play 4th line, so the odds of the Devils burying both their best C prospects with bottom 6 playing time is probably not going to happen.

If he can produce at a G/game pace like he did in the CHL playoffs, then he's on the team for sure, but that's obviously not going to happen. He's also never played against anyone older than 20. That's a big liability.

Tedenby

By far the most unpredictable prospect because it's hard to see what spot he would fill. At the moment, there's no way he's going to be in the top 6 unless Langenbrunner gets moved to the third line. I'm sure it will be hard for the coaches to ignore his speed and skill in camp and he will probably get a really long look (along with the two listed above) just so he can engage in some NHL caliber games.

The thing that would help Tedenby the most would be Langenbrunner, Rolston, or Zubrus getting traded to clear Kovy's cap hit. Odds are one of those players IS moved, and that frees a spot for Tedenby somewhere in the top 6 wings.

The Devils probably don't want him on a line with a defensive role, so I expect that if he's on the team, and Langenbrunner is moved, he will play with Parise and Zajac. Those two are so good at 2-way play that they should easily be able to cover Tedenby, and with his speed he can use quickness to cover positioning mistakes. He also might play with Kovalchuk and Arnott, leaving Elias to play with Parise, something Devils fans have been craving since the OT magic they were able to capture 2 seasons ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would say slim to none for all 3.

i am almost expecting that josefson is the 3rd line center which is great. he'll get enought playing time to be productive and not just sit onthe bench but little enough that he is protected and learns behind arny and especially zajac. he is my expected LOCK

tedenby is by all means ready and we all know it. but his future depends on the trades. as i have said over and over again a wing is a wing, so i'm not focusing on that we are too stacked on left wings. hell elias is going to be a rw this year and we all know it, and tedenby played right wing at the WJC's (on a line w josefson). i think with 1 wingertraded he has a shot to win a job. with 2 wingers traded he is a shoe in, and with the model of recent SC champs like the hawks and pens i would actually not be suprised if he starts in a 3rd line roll again with josefson. the line would most likely be

tedenby josefson clarkson.

2 defensivley reliable players and its deep enough on the depth chart that the 2 young guns will get some shelter and correct development time. not too mention it adds an aspect to our 3rd line of offense that you do see a lot on good teams in the post lockout world, while still being reliable defensively. i believe our 3rd line since the lockout has been too 1 dimensional and this would definately change that

henrique is my odd man out until arnott is gone ( most likely next year ) and josefson takes the number 2 job. he needs to have a HUGE camp to beat josefson out for that 3rd line job, and he'd get more development on the 1st or 2nd line in albany than he would on the 4th line or healthy scratch here.

but i think we can all agree we will be seeing at least 2 rookies this year in full time spots. most likely 1 at center and 1 on defense. potential tedenby being a 3rd at wing.