• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 8: Virginia Tech @ Clemson (Oct. 20, 2012)

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TE to OL thing is really awesome. You've got players who've never played the position coached by someone who's never played the position. LMAO. LMAO indeed
Painter, Benedict, Via, Wang, Becton, Arkema, Farris, Miller all played OL and NOT TE in HS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darian Fisher is the only OL in the 2 deep that has played TE in HS. However, he also played OT in addition to TE in HS.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:popsnoidea: Not sure where you got that, but Dabo said in the Wednesday presser that the purple uniforms were a distraction and are not planned on being used at any point in the near future.

All purple uni's Saturday

any injury news outta clemson? anyone out or banged up?

How about wang or farris, they still no go?

Only one I can think of is Kalon Davis, a back up OL, with a hamstring injury.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to hokiesports, Wang wasn't limited in contact for practice so he is probably good to go. I'd much rather Wang play than Arkema. An additional note, Conte is listed as a co-first teamer with Nick Becton at Left Tackle,also according to hokiesports, .

that has to be a mistake about Conte. A true freshman that hasn't played a snap is suddenly moved up to 1st team from 3rd in mid-season when there have been no injuries at the position and the starter has been playing well? That just doesn't happen. Oh and Beamerball, which was last updated the same day, still lists him at 3rd string. I've seen lots of errors on the hokiesports depth chart. I will assume this is one of them.

Whether you'd like Wang to play more or Arkema, we need both to be healthy for the game. There is this thing called depth, fooz...

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is that it's been tried in the past and they're still trying it >>>> Chung

Any school that took Chung would move him to OL... and there were several that would have taken him. He has good potential at OG, much more so than at TE in the college game. I'm sure you've heard of guys playing different positions in HS than they are best suited for in college...

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that has to be a mistake about Conte. A true freshman that hasn't played a snap is suddenly moved up to 1st team from 3rd in mid-season when there have been no injuries at the position and the starter has been playing well? That just doesn't happen. Oh and Beamerball, which was last updated the same day, still lists him at 3rd string. I've seen lots of errors on the hokiesports depth chart. I will assume this is one of them.

Whether you'd like Wang to play more or Arkema, we need both to be healthy for the game. There is this thing called depth, fooz...

Ill see what I can find out about Conte tomorrow

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it probably is.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Any school that took Chung would move him to OL... and there were several that would have taken him. He has good potential at OG, much more so than at TE in the college game. I'm sure you've heard of guys playing different positions in HS than they are best suited for in college...

How do you know this? Have you been talking to Newsome? He's the wrong person to ask about O-line. Myself? I prefer to not have to add 60 lbs to players to get them to the proper size for a position. You never know if they can add it, what kind of weight it will be, or how they'll carry it. I think it's safe to say Newsome's projections have been poor

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How do you know this? Have you been talking to Newsome? He's the wrong person to ask about O-line. Myself? I prefer to not have to add 60 lbs to players to get them to the proper size for a position. You never know if they can add it, what kind of weight it will be, or how they'll carry it. I think it's safe to say Newsome's projections have been poor
Chung can gain it and carry it well...

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chung is a better OL prospect than a TE IMO.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
IDK how this became the Kyle Chung thread but i'll throw my two cents in:

Tons of guys evey year make position switches between HS and college and IMO TE to OL is no different than RB to LB or QB to WR etc. The only time i have a problem with position swapping is when you bring a guy in and work him for 2years at a position and then decide to make the switch. Even when it works out and guys become contributors it leaves you wondering how much better they could have been with more time at the position.

Kyle Chung: if im a high school coach and have a 6'4" 250# guy who can block but that can also run and catch, im not going to waste his running/catching by sticking him on the OL.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Chung is a better OL prospect than a TE IMO.

Ill agree with that and go out on a limb and say that he grows another inch or two between now and his RS soph year and ends up at OT.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope this happens:
[youtube]0WBmrrRKg-c[/youtube]

I'd laugh but I felt the same way after Matt Ryan ripped our hearts out in Blacksburg.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is that it's been tried in the past and they're still trying it >>>> Chung

You do realize what position his dad was right? His dad has also been coaching him and teaching him blocking techniques and fundamentals. The move to OL was inevitable for him wherever he decided to go.