• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 8: Virginia Tech @ Clemson (Oct. 20, 2012)

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
the problem is figuring out how to get pressure without putting our DBs on an island...

^ thats why getting pressure with 4 is so critical so that the LB's can help out in coverage.

If Clemson comes out in a 4 WR set, sure, go nickle. But shouldn't we be able to match up with a more typical look in our base package? I would certainly hope so...

Watkins and Hopkins are obvious but i think their TE (cant think of his name) will cause a big matchup prob for our D in either package.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't think we'll see a lot of nickel..look for Rvd to wreck shit...think it's closer than last yr but we get beat in a close one ...

Clemson 38
Vt 34

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We have to get pressure..if we can get a few turnovers and pressure boyd, we can win

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to Fooz, but I would be completely shocked if we win. Our defense is not good enough to stop them and with Logan's inconsistency, there is no way that we can keep pace with them offensively for a whole game.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt realize how many of ya are so down on VT. Clemson is good, but they are not world beaters. They barely escaped with a W against the worst Auburn team i've seen since God knows when. Ball State racked up 380 yards on 'em, including 252 on the ground. BC put up 420 yards, GT 483. I dont expect it to be like the UNC game because VT couldnt run the ball against those guys.

If VT stays committed to the run, chews up clock while going on long scoring drives against their bad defense, there's a great chance of an upset. Dominate time of possession and the score will be close in the 4th, and their D will be worn down.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'll admit I'm going in with very low expectations. We could get stomped, but I wouldn't be there unless there was some hope for victory. Last time I was in Clemson, SC, we BEAT UP the Tigers. We need that mentality back.

[YOUTUBE]Vth59wIcw-E[/YOUTUBE]

Go Hokies!

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what I miss more....TT or the hard hitting corners from 2007.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last year was a fluke. we will get back to our routine beatings of Clemson, starting saturday.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt realize how many of ya are so down on VT. Clemson is good, but they are not world beaters. They barely escaped with a W against the worst Auburn team i've seen since God knows when. Ball State racked up 380 yards on 'em, including 252 on the ground. BC put up 420 yards, GT 483. I dont expect it to be like the UNC game because VT couldnt run the ball against those guys.

If VT stays committed to the run, chews up clock while going on long scoring drives against their bad defense, there's a great chance of an upset. Dominate time of possession and the score will be close in the 4th, and their D will be worn down.

I admit that the Duke game gave me some hope with this team. However, I'm not ready to say we're back and ready to dominate the ACC after only 3 solid quarters of Hokie football against Duke. In a normal week, I may take us to win this game. However, playing in Death Valley against a team that has an extra week to prepare for us doesn't give me a great feeling (I may be over-harping the effect of 1 extra week to prepare, but I think it's a huge advantage).

I think to win this game we will have to have a similar performance to the 2007 game listed above. Create lots of turnovers and make big plays on defense and special teams. Hopefully Clemson underestimates us after our poor play to start the season. We'll see.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We finally saw a glimpse of how we expected to be playing this year against Duke but its still Duke. Hard to take much from it.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but how many times have your points in bold occurred this season? We JUST started to run the ball effectively last week. The board pretty much knew JC Coleman is a playmaker and get him the ball in space and he should make plays for us. Unfortunately this did not happen until our game against Puke.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our team has been extremely streaky all season long. Who knows what could happen if we show up for all four quarters on both sides of the ball? This is the best team we've faced all season long. We're going to have to play our best game of the season all four quarters and on both sides of the ball to stand a chance. Clemson isn't just going to lay down for 3 quarters like Duke did to let us come back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll admit I'm going in with very low expectations. We could get stomped, but I wouldn't be there unless there was some hope for victory. Last time I was in Clemson, SC, we BEAT UP the Tigers. We need that mentality back.

Go Hokies!

man, what an epic seconday

they exucuted the zone scheme perfectly on a lot of those pass defenses. I can hope and pray Bud's been saving zone for this game right? lol

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man, what an epic seconday

they exucuted the zone scheme perfectly on a lot of those pass defenses. I can hope and pray Bud's been saving zone for this game right? lol

It wont matter what we run if we don't have any pressure from our front 4.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but how many times have your points in bold occurred this season? We JUST started to run the ball effectively last week. The board pretty much knew JC Coleman is a playmaker and get him the ball in space and he should make plays for us. Unfortunately this did not happen until our game against Puke.

But Clemson has the 102nd ranked run defense. I'm confident VT will have no problem moving the ball on the ground.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go Hokies!

Wow... foggy memories... I was with the then gf, now wife, with the Manhattan Hokies for their gameday special. $40... all you can drink of beer, rail liquor.

Ya know how you go to an all-you-can-eat place and try to get your money's worth? And you end up eating way more than you should. Yea. Kinda like that... but with booze... chased with pitchers of beer. $40 for all-you-can-drink in NYC is a pretty amazing fucking deal to begin with... we made sure it was a losing proposition for them. That hangover haunts me still. Because I woke up in NYC... the landfill of the eastern seaboard.

I remember Macho's pic-6 and about nothing else.

EDIT - WTF, was Macho on the team? Am I (quite possibly) remembering that wrong? Maybe it was Royal's TD RET?

Also, Ellis supermaning his way out of the pile with the fumble recovery from the sake he caused is a moment in time (2:35)

EDIT of the EDIT... ok, Marcho's KO Return for 6 is the last part of the game I vaguely remember. I feel better... ish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zone is great if you are getting good pressure. However, if you allow too much time, a receiver will be able to find and sit down in a hole for your zone for an easy completion.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As has been said the front 4 have to get pressure. Can't afford to send extra. They have at least 3 above average to elite receivers in Watkins, Hopkins and the TE so somebody is going to be open every play probably. Maybe if VT had 2 or 3 Hosleys you could allow Boyd some time. Does Wiles teach any moves to the D-line? Do they actually practice the swim, spin, rip and all the rest? Because I see a whole lot of plain old speed rushing by the DEs

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree about getting RVD in the game or otherwise I see a repeat of UNC where they run all over the place. Got to have another run stopper in there