• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 6 - Saints

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official..... The Bengals are playing the 1:00 version (or 12:00 Central) of the Red Rocket. Dalton is 2-0 against the Bengals so far.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say he'll throw for 4 touchdowns and have the best game of his career, but our defense isn't the problem right now, so I'll say he has a normal day and we possibly screw things up by not going for a couple of field goals on 4th down.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he hasn't exactly lit us up in our two prior games against him.... Had to leave last year's game due to injury. But I feel like we're due some nice Dalton karma - Just one chance to play him in a game where he is truly awful. I'd like to see how that feels.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Olave has been ruled out for the Saints. They have Dalton starting without their top 3 receivers. Marshon Lattimore, their top corner has also been ruled out. So, for all you f#ckers that said we couldn't have good injury luck again this year, here you go!

Going to be pretty embarrassing to lose this game with everything going on here. Lets see what kind of awesome game planning we've been doing this week.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Olave has been great this year and Lattimore is one of the better corners in the game. Huge for the Bengals.

Biggest fear now is Taysom Hill going Florida Gators Tim Tebow today

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olave has been great this year and Lattimore is one of the better corners in the game. Huge for the Bengals.

Biggest fear now is Taysom Hill going Florida Gators Tim Tebow today
Yeah, you have to assume the Saints will pound Hill and Kamara today. Big test against the run D that looked vulnerable against the Ravens. I wonder if Lou will move away from his standard base set and use more 3 linebacker sets today.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was worried when the Bengals scored quickly on their last drive but it worked out in the end.

Big W especially with the Ravens loss

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you have to assume the Saints will pound Hill and Kamara today. Big test against the run D that looked vulnerable against the Ravens. I wonder if Lou will move away from his standard base set and use more 3 linebacker sets today.
The D didn't exactly pass the test.... But they did step up when we needed them. That 3 and out late in the game set up the offense for the win. It's going to be a grind over the next few weeks. Definitely games we should be favored to win, but teams that will challenge this D on the ground. Mariota will pose some issues on the ground for sure. And we might be without Logan Wilson. Hopefully the offense continues to put up points.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was worried when the Bengals scored quickly on their last drive but it worked out in the end.

Big W especially with the Ravens loss
A win is a win.... They have a pretty good shot on going on a little run here if they can overcome some of these defensive injuries and continue to evolve the passing game.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A win is a win.... They have a pretty good shot on going on a little run here if they can overcome some of these defensive injuries and continue to evolve the passing game.

This is a good pt. They will be favorites in their next 4 games. Possibly the 5th as well.

The Falcons game on Sunday looks a lot tougher now than it did a few weeks ago. Their coach is doing a great job. They get Calvin Ridley back next year too. Any 1st rd qb in the draft this year should cross their fingers this is the team that drafts them if they're in the market for one. Ridder looked good in the preseason and Mariota's playing very well for a bridge QB so I'm not sure what their plan is there.

As far as the Bengals I agree. Just stack wins and make the playoffs. They already showed they can win the conference with this roster so style points are irrelevant

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see that they started to just do nearly everything (including most of their runs) out of the shotgun...helps with, at least, disguising the play/formation a bit more so defenses can't just jump. While Burrow was really, really good, I think 8 carries for Mixon is about 8 too low. Especially since he was up near 5.5/6 YPC...I'd take 8 more runs, even if that mean getting the YPC down around 4.5 (which is still really good).

Defense continues to shine in the 2nd half. Lou is amazing, and is going to get a HC shot soon...I hate that. DL really needs Reader back, and if Wilson misses any significant time, this defense is going to struggle against the run.

I don't know what the numbers are, but Apple is not a good CB. I don't know why teams don't just target him relentlessly. If my QB threw the ball 30 times a game, no less than 20 would target him. He did have a couple of nice/hard tackles and hits late - but his coverage is....woof. 3rd and 17, he lined up almost at the 1st down marker, and back peddled another 5-6 yards. Easy pitch and catch for a conversion - and that is not the 1st time, or 2nd time, this year that this has happened. He knows he can't cover deep and is giving too much cushion. Doubt CTB is going to be ready this year to push him after the injury - but against teams that can sling it this year, I would be highly worried about them targeting him often.

Jesse Bates - still waiting for him to show up. The more I watch him play the more I just want to see Dax Hill.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see that they started to just do nearly everything (including most of their runs) out of the shotgun...helps with, at least, disguising the play/formation a bit more so defenses can't just jump. While Burrow was really, really good, I think 8 carries for Mixon is about 8 too low. Especially since he was up near 5.5/6 YPC...I'd take 8 more runs, even if that mean getting the YPC down around 4.5 (which is still really good).

Defense continues to shine in the 2nd half. Lou is amazing, and is going to get a HC shot soon...I hate that. DL really needs Reader back, and if Wilson misses any significant time, this defense is going to struggle against the run.

I don't know what the numbers are, but Apple is not a good CB. I don't know why teams don't just target him relentlessly. If my QB threw the ball 30 times a game, no less than 20 would target him. He did have a couple of nice/hard tackles and hits late - but his coverage is....woof. 3rd and 17, he lined up almost at the 1st down marker, and back peddled another 5-6 yards. Easy pitch and catch for a conversion - and that is not the 1st time, or 2nd time, this year that this has happened. He knows he can't cover deep and is giving too much cushion. Doubt CTB is going to be ready this year to push him after the injury - but against teams that can sling it this year, I would be highly worried about them targeting him often.

Jesse Bates - still waiting for him to show up. The more I watch him play the more I just want to see Dax Hill.
You have to hand it to our genius coaching staff. It only took them 5 games to understand that Burrow functions better out of shotgun/RPO than under center. Taylor mentioned yesterday that at least 5 or so of the passes were originally called runs, but Burrow hit quick throws because of the soft zone. So, while I agree that Mixon should be more involved, I guess high percentage quick hitter is essentially doing the same thing. Regardless of designs or concept, they did finally get a D out of their comfort zone and make them adjust. That it took this long with this group is maddening, but that's where we are with these guys.

Apple is so damn inconsistent. My recall might be poor, but I thought I saw that he was oddly effective in several of our games this year. I have no idea why he struggled so much against practice squad players. At this point, I'd like to see them rotate Hill in to play corner in spots..... He has the athleticism to do it and Lou doesn't leave the second corner without help over the top on many downs. It would also get him on the field more and I think he's a difference maker. I'm with you on Bates - For a guy that pounds his chest about being the best in the league, he is basically invisible. I keep thinking back to the opener. Fitzpatrick changed the entire game for Pittsburgh - A truly great safety can have games like that..... Bates is not that guy. Anyone that pays him what he is hoping for is going to be disappointed.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we strugged, but we won.

hopefully the offensive production improves as the season continues. I feel like we should be one of the top offensive units in the league, if not THE TOP offensive unit in the league. our running backs might be twighlighting though, wish we could trade or find a free agent capable of hitting some linebackers before he goes down, but that's highly unlikely.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to hand it to our genius coaching staff. It only took them 5 games to understand that Burrow functions better out of shotgun/RPO than under center. Taylor mentioned yesterday that at least 5 or so of the passes were originally called runs, but Burrow hit quick throws because of the soft zone. So, while I agree that Mixon should be more involved, I guess high percentage quick hitter is essentially doing the same thing. Regardless of designs or concept, they did finally get a D out of their comfort zone and make them adjust. That it took this long with this group is maddening, but that's where we are with these guys.

Apple is so damn inconsistent. My recall might be poor, but I thought I saw that he was oddly effective in several of our games this year. I have no idea why he struggled so much against practice squad players. At this point, I'd like to see them rotate Hill in to play corner in spots..... He has the athleticism to do it and Lou doesn't leave the second corner without help over the top on many downs. It would also get him on the field more and I think he's a difference maker. I'm with you on Bates - For a guy that pounds his chest about being the best in the league, he is basically invisible. I keep thinking back to the opener. Fitzpatrick changed the entire game for Pittsburgh - A truly great safety can have games like that..... Bates is not that guy. Anyone that pays him what he is hoping for is going to be disappointed.
If Bates keeps playing to not get hurt, his stats are going to suffer and his tape is going to show a guy not hustling to the ball. It will drastically start to decrease his FA contract. Which in my fear, that means us signing him to a large contract still where he is now unhappy and we have Dax sitting on the bench all the time.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think, IMO, the issue with Apple is he's a better zone CB than a man CB...and in this defense, it's such a mix that you end up with stretches where he's in man, but teams don't have the play called to get him 1-1...and he looks good for the most part. Then you end up with games like Sunday, where they clearly targeted him enough to catch him in man coverage deep, and he struggles.

The big thing for me is the amount of cushion that is often given on 3rd downs. This isn't likely specifically an Apple thing...but when it's 3rd and 17, you simply can't be 15 yards off the LOS and then back peddling on the snap. Not without having some kind of middle coverage to prevent a WR from catching a 9-11 yard pass and easily running for a 1st down. Maybe it's been by design, but it always seems to be on Apple....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, IMO, the issue with Apple is he's a better zone CB than a man CB...and in this defense, it's such a mix that you end up with stretches where he's in man, but teams don't have the play called to get him 1-1...and he looks good for the most part. Then you end up with games like Sunday, where they clearly targeted him enough to catch him in man coverage deep, and he struggles.

The big thing for me is the amount of cushion that is often given on 3rd downs. This isn't likely specifically an Apple thing...but when it's 3rd and 17, you simply can't be 15 yards off the LOS and then back peddling on the snap. Not without having some kind of middle coverage to prevent a WR from catching a 9-11 yard pass and easily running for a 1st down. Maybe it's been by design, but it always seems to be on Apple....
This is a good point. My guess is that he was one-on-one more in this game because of the situation we were in trying to stop the run. We'll have to play more safeties in the box in the next couple weeks..... We play ATL, Cleveland, and TN over the next 5 games. All of them will be a challenge to our run D and that will leave Apple on an island.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bates keeps playing to not get hurt, his stats are going to suffer and his tape is going to show a guy not hustling to the ball. It will drastically start to decrease his FA contract. Which in my fear, that means us signing him to a large contract still where he is now unhappy and we have Dax sitting on the bench all the time.
I think the Bates stuff sailed.... Someone will pay him too much. FWIW, I think the Bengals played it correctly.... He's not worth top 5 safety money. Though they might be resistant to 2nd deals, I hope they bring Bell back. He and Hill would make a good pair going forward.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bates stuff sailed.... Someone will pay him too much. FWIW, I think the Bengals played it correctly.... He's not worth top 5 safety money. Though they might be resistant to 2nd deals, I hope they bring Bell back. He and Hill would make a good pair going forward.
IIRC - he's only had one really good rated year as a defender - and that was buoyed by quite a few INT's...The rest of his time has been average, or below. This year, he looks out of place, and slow to react a lot. I have to admit - I also often think it's because he's afraid to go full throttle - but then again - outside of his one really good year....meh.

He did play well in the playoffs - but how much of that was the defense as a whole....Not sure...but I've seen enough at this point that I keep a wondering eye on Hill...and can't help but wonder if he wouldn't help in some areas. Maybe if Bates starts losing some snaps to Hill, that'll kick him back into gear at least from a reaction standpoint...he's not going to make a ton of money if he is suddenly losing snaps to a rookie...

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, I think we can say good by to Bates as well.

Offensively, we could use another RB to complement Nixon (don't say Evans, it's clear he's not used enough, but there's got to be a reason they don't trust him that much)

Haydn Hurst is up for FA, so my guess is we are looking to draft a TE soon

defensively
Von Bell
Eli Apple
Brandon Wilson
Michael Thomas

all free agents.

Can't see us investing that heavily in Bates, but we've seen that coming.

we could use some more muscle at the DL/DE or LB

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, I think we can say good by to Bates as well.

Offensively, we could use another RB to complement Nixon (don't say Evans, it's clear he's not used enough, but there's got to be a reason they don't trust him that much)

Haydn Hurst is up for FA, so my guess is we are looking to draft a TE soon

defensively
Von Bell
Eli Apple
Brandon Wilson
Michael Thomas

all free agents.

Can't see us investing that heavily in Bates, but we've seen that coming.

we could use some more muscle at the DL/DE or LB
When we do finally move on from Mixon, it would be terrific to find a guy that can learn how to block. It's embarrassing for a guy with the size and athleticism of Mixon can't do an even average job at pass protection from the running back position. And it's really a major limitation to have a running back that can't be used in 3-down capacity. It tips our plays when Perine comes in.