• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DUH?

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL Exec Shades Bryce Young: Panthers' 'Best Chance to Win Might Be' Andy Dalton​

Timothy RappNovember 13, 2023

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS - NOVEMBER 09: Bryce Young #9 of the Carolina Panthers reacts against the Chicago Bears during the first half at Soldier Field on November 09, 2023 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

Michael Reaves/Getty Images
There probably isn't a light at the end of the tunnel for the Carolina Panthers in 2023.
The team has limped to an NFL-worst 1-8 record, there's little benefit in tanking given that the Chicago Bears own their first-round pick in 2024 and rookie quarterback Bryce Young has struggled immensely.
"Where does it get better for Carolina?" an executive asked The Athletic's Mike Sando. "They made the move at coordinator. They had their bye, and they got their one win. Who are they beating? Carolina's best chance to win might be if the Red Rocket (Andy Dalton) gets back in there. I'll give them two wins on the season."

00:08 / 00:30

Granted, there's little long-term benefit in starting Dalton over Young, which would take away valuable experience from the young quarterback. The only way such a benching would make sense is if the Panthers decide that trotting out Young is exposing him to dangerous hits behind a porous offensive line and contributing to him developing bad habits that would prove detrimental to his long-term development.
It hasn't been pretty. Young, 22, has thrown for 1,560 yards, eight touchdowns and seven interceptions in eight games, completing 62.8 percent of his passes while taking 29 sacks. The Panthers haven't exactly surrounded him with talent, but Young has undeniably struggled thus far.
To make matters worse, the No. 2 overall pick, C.J. Stroud, is absolutely thriving (2,626 yards, 15 touchdowns, two interceptions) for the 5-4 Houston Texans. He potentially could lead his young team to a playoff appearance in his first season.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh Dalton isn't gonna save that dumpster fire of a team. That said, I never liked Young. I wanted Seattle to draft Stroud (couple others on the Seahawks board did as well) but the stupid ass Texans took him.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh Dalton isn't gonna save that dumpster fire of a team. That said, I never liked Young. I wanted Seattle to draft Stroud (couple others on the Seahawks board did as well) but the stupid ass Texans took him.
Stroud was the only QB in the draft that I would have been okay with drafting. Richardson is still the biggest unknown but I would not have been too excited about Young. Had enough of QB's that can't see above the lineman's kneecaps.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stroud was the only QB in the draft that I would have been okay with drafting. Richardson is still the biggest unknown but I would not have been too excited about Young. Had enough of QB's that can't see above the lineman's kneecaps.

Yah I have zero clue why Bryce went #1.. I guess Heisman but whatever.. Stroud was the consensus #1 coming into the season and still kept his foot on the pedal. Young meanwhile was amassing sacks and look what's translated to the NFL? He's the 5th most sacked QB in the league and hasn't even played every game lol.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tobey Maguire Lol GIF

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was looking for some wild place to lay this one …

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reich should have learned by now to strongly advise the team owner to not personally choose the player the team is drafting.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Mannings career would be different if the Colts had lost faith in him after his horrific rookie year.

You put all that draft capital into Young, you have to let him play through it and improve.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Mannings career would be different if the Colts had lost faith in him after his horrific rookie year.

You put all that draft capital into Young, you have to let him play through it and improve.
Yep, Manning, Aikman, Trevor Lawrence. There's more but that's just the point. You get drafted first overall usually for a reason. The team totally sucks. We will see on Young. Carolina gave up to much and has to build a better roster before we know anything. I still wouldn't have wanted the Seahawks to take him though. I honestly wasn't excited about any of the QBs in this draft but Stroud is the only one I was moderately on board with.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Peyton threw for 26 TDs in 1998. Before they made passing easier. He was 3rd in passing yards. Most passing attempts, but only 22 sacks. The signs were there. It was not horrific. No comparison to Young.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes a few have overcome very poor rookie seasons but I don't see it getting much better for Carolina.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton threw for 26 TDs in 1998. Before they made passing easier. He was 3rd in passing yards. Most passing attempts, but only 22 sacks. The signs were there. It was not horrific. No comparison to Young.
He also had Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison, highest interception rate of regular starter and bottom third in completion percentage and yards per attempt.

Yes he threw it a lot, but he was pretty bad by most metrics his rookie year. There was nothing about his rookie year that showed he was going to be anything, and that was with way higher talent at position players than Young has.

Young may end up being a bust, but thinking you are getting a read on who he will be based on this year is crazy.