• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Weaker team

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we lose JVR,Carle and Jagr.
And get back Shenn

We are missing goals and size

Homer better have something planned

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely weaker, but i dont think the sky is falling.. a healthy schenn can replace jagr's production i think.. jvr was hurt most of the year anyway.. and carle is basically replaced by a healthy mesz.. schenn comes in to help the 5/6 which for most of the season was either a rookie and lilja or two rookies

the team is dangerously thin now though.. one or two injuries and they're fucked.. aka, they're fucked, cause injuries always happen

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely weaker, but i dont think the sky is falling.. a healthy schenn can replace jagr's production i think.. jvr was hurt most of the year anyway.. and carle is basically replaced by a healthy mesz.. schenn comes in to help the 5/6 which for most of the season was either a rookie and lilja or two rookies

the team is dangerously thin now though.. one or two injuries and they're fucked.. aka, they're fucked, cause injuries always happen

Thats my worry. We dont have the depth we had last season.
Defense now worrys me as well. Imagine 1 or 2 guys go down .

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats my worry. We dont have the depth we had last season.
Defense now worrys me as well. Imagine 1 or 2 guys go down .

yep.. one or two guys go down on D and they're right back where they were last year.. with 2 of bourdon, gust, and lilja playing.. except a little weaker because i think at this stage, carle is better than schenn

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say we are definitely weaker now. I think we took a one step back. As for Doan, I think he stays put in Phoenix, if not it's going to be a bidding war for him as well. I think Homer totally fucked this one up, as awaz mentioned. I don't see how we can trade for a Ryan w/o giving up Cooter? Cooter should be off limits period. We are in a tough position boys. Our defense is thin, injuries always happen. Timo is older. Who knows how Mez will bounce back? Grossman had or has bad knees. Sorry for being gloomy tonight. Happy 4th of July.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say we are definitely weaker now. I think we took a one step back. As for Doan, I think he stays put in Phoenix, if not it's going to be a bidding war for him as well. I think Homer totally fucked this one up, as awaz mentioned. I don't see how we can trade for a Ryan w/o giving up Cooter? Cooter should be off limits period. We are in a tough position boys. Our defense is thin, injuries always happen. Timo is older. Who knows how Mez will bounce back? Grossman had or has bad knees. Sorry for being gloomy tonight. Happy 4th of July.

its understandable.. i dont really see how the flyers can really improve from here.. pretty much all of the free agents that could make a difference are gone now.. the only 2 big return guys nobody wants to give up

could this be a patient year from the flyers? see what the young guys can handle? i wouldn't be overly opposed to that.. the young guys could surprise people, they did last year.. stay the course and see what the kids can accomplish with a year under their belts? we know the work ethic will be there.. and if that fails, they'll load up in 2013-14 cause they'll have a lot more room and a lot of the stars will be at their max-potential under their current contracts..

one guy that's still out there that i think would be a great addition would be fedetenko.. to help round out the bottom 6.. guy is a warrior defensively these days

Last edited by a moderator:

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moen

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its understandable.. i dont really see how the flyers can really improve from here.. pretty much all of the free agents that could make a difference are gone now.. the only 2 big return guys nobody wants to give up

could this be a patient year from the flyers? see what the young guys can handle? i wouldn't be overly opposed to that.. the young guys could surprise people, they did last year.. stay the course and see what the kids can accomplish with a year under their belts? we know the work ethic will be there.. and if that fails, they'll load up in 2013-14 cause they'll have a lot more room and a lot of the stars will be at their max-potential under their current contracts..

one guy that's still out there that i think would be a great addition would be fedetenko.. to help round out the bottom 6.. guy is a warrior defensively these days

But how would he score big goals against us if he's playing FOR us?

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we lose JVR,Carle and Jagr. And get back Shenn We are missing goals and size Homer better have something planned

These 3 didn't exactly cause fear towards the opposition.

As for the goals,I think they have more than enough guys up front to make up for them.The only thing they need to replace are Carle's minutes.

They still have the $$$ and players to fill their needs.No need to sweat,they have over 3 months till the puck drops.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunatley, there is no chance in hell we are done.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Awaz I am not so quick to dissmiss the minutes that Carle played. Even before Mesz got hurt Carle was playing those minutes and ... so was Mesz.

Loosing Carle is bigger potentially than trading JvR and loosing Jagr to free agency. He was one of those subtle players who ate minutes and dressed every night. This will force Schenn into a top 2 pair. I don't know how Gervais is going to fit in...if they manage to sign him too...he is a 5/6. Yes he is right handed, but that is about all he has going.

Homer really better have something up his sleeve cause he was definately been a step slow since the trade deadline.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Awaz I am not so quick to dissmiss the minutes that Carle played. Even before Mesz got hurt Carle was playing those minutes and ... so was Mesz.

Loosing Carle is bigger potentially than trading JvR and loosing Jagr to free agency. He was one of those subtle players who ate minutes and dressed every night. This will force Schenn into a top 2 pair. I don't know how Gervais is going to fit in...if they manage to sign him too...he is a 5/6. Yes he is right handed, but that is about all he has going.

Homer really better have something up his sleeve cause he was definately been a step slow since the trade deadline.

I will shed no tears that Matt Carle is gone.

I have loathed this guy from day one. Never impressed me offensively. Was solid enough on D but would have multiple games where you could single him out as the worst defensemen on the ice. this guy is not worth 5.5 mil/year, simple as that.

...lol Matt Carle is the Lightning's #1 dman now.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

schenn will still be bottom pair.. coburn/grossmann and timonen/mesz will be the top 4 (assuming nobody good is acquired on D)

but ya, it definitely hurts.. you dont just replace your ice time leader over night.. and timonen's minutes will probably go down again this year.. but i think coburn can play carle's 25 minutes/night, grossmann can probably play 23, mesz also 23, timonen down around 20.. that leaves 29 minutes for the bottom pair.. 15ish minutes a piece for schenn (who i think can definitely handle it), and bourdon, who i think was playing very well prior to his conky

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
schenn will still be bottom pair.. coburn/grossmann and timonen/mesz will be the top 4 (assuming nobody good is acquired on D)

but ya, it definitely hurts.. you dont just replace your ice time leader over night.. and timonen's minutes will probably go down again this year.. but i think coburn can play carle's 25 minutes/night, grossmann can probably play 23, mesz also 23, timonen down around 20.. that leaves 29 minutes for the bottom pair.. 15ish minutes a piece for schenn (who i think can definitely handle it), and bourdon, who i think was playing very well prior to his conky

schenn will need to be expected to put in more than bottom pair minutes. you can't JVR for him and just let him float on the 3rd pairing.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
schenn will need to be expected to put in more than bottom pair minutes. you can't JVR for him and just let him float on the 3rd pairing.

A) Why? It's not like JVR was doing better than third line last year himself! HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

B) I think those estimates for what the vets get might be a little high - especially Coburn. I don't see Coburn as more than a 23 minute guy, at least not if we don't want to blow him up. It's a lot harder actually PLAYING DEFENSE than whatever Carle did last year, so it takes more energy.

I'm guessing:

Coburn 23
Grossmannnnnnnnnnnnn 22
Mez 22
Schenn 21
Timonen 20*
MAB 10

*Timonen won't get a ton of minutes but won't be on the third pairing or anything - I just think we'll have a more flexible arrangement than a hard 3 pairings. I also expect Kimmo's ice time to be the most variable, and he'll get some nights with 25 and some with 15.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the kid manning he impressed me last year to some degreeand nobody here has Gust in our starting 6 so that 8 dmen that are pretty good

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the kid manning he impressed me last year to some degreeand nobody here has Gust in our starting 6 so that 8 dmen that are pretty good

flyers have a whole slew of 3rd pairing guys.. i'd be ok if MAB, gust, lilja, gervais, manning, syvret, or even walker, were the 6th defensemen, and at a stretch id be ok with MAB or gust being the 5th dman..

problem is, any of those guys in the top 4 is terrifying..

if everything stays the way it is, the flyers are going to be LOADED with cap space next year.. they have 10 mil now, timonen, hartnell, and shelley are all up next year which is another 11 mil.. IF weber were to make it to UFA, the flyers could offer him whatever they wanted.. they could also go after corey perry to replace hartnell, AND enstrom.. 9 to weber, 7 to enstrom, and 5 + any cap increase, for perry.. if these guys make it to free agency, the flyers could look like this next year

perry.giroux.schenn
voracek.briere.simmonds
read.couturier.talbot
wellwood.?cousins/laughton?.rinaldo

weber.enstrom
coburn.grossmann
meszaros.schenn

bryz
backup

and that team would win a cup, i gaurantee it.

problem is, i dont see how weber gets to free agency.. the preds are going to realize they cant sign him, and they're going to trade him.. and the team that trades for him is going to sign him before he hits UFA.. so if the flyers want to go that route, they'd likely have to give up schenn or couturier, simmonds or voracek, MAB or gust, and a 1st most likely.. then things get a little dicey, especially if he wants to go UFA anyway.

other problem obviously is all 3 of those players will have their pick of where they play.. just cause the flyers want them, doesn't mean they'll sign

you also gotta think detroit would sell the moon and 3 planets to get weber at this point.. they NEED dmen, and were just spurned by suter