• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

we get to see how Iowa stacks up to one of the nations best this week

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yes, for three years now, KF has said his team is a young team. Its young because the upperclassmen haven't developed...and that is directly related to the coaching that they aren't getting. It's that simple.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, Ferentz is horrible at developing players... hence all of the NFL players that he has developed....

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like usual Aaron, you missed the point. For three years now, KF has fielded a young team. The players on the roster - especially the upper classmen haven't been developed by the KF coaching staff. Where in that topic of fielding a young team did ANYONE mention the NFL draft picks from Iowa?

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
alford didn't get this much rope....KF has had enough, love the guy but need a better recruiter.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it's time to re-think Iowa's recruiting strategy. If you play defense and can't at least beat me in a 40 yard dash then you shouldn't be on the field at all. Speed makes up for a lot of shortfalls and that came up big yesterday. Granted, Miller is likely an NFL prospect and bringing him down is no easy task. But it almost seemed like OSU wasn't even calling offensive plays yesterday, just told Braxton to "Do what you do" and that's what he did.

Proud of Iowa's effort and I think the offense really showed what it can do. I sure wish we could just put an entire game together, offense/defense/spec teams. Seems like we always are "off" on one or two of those three facets of the game on Saturdays.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really didn't think OSU's "speed" was all that different than Iowa's speed, the announcers were annoying on that part, Iowa was just fine, but this is the first big scrambling QB we met other than Lynch game 1 and we held him. To me the key was our defensive backfield...too much cushion.

Here is the thing about next year, we lose all 3 LB's so then we are young again...ugh. Our offense will be kickass although we lose Scherf and one other I think plus KMM. It's a never ending cycle cause we need to get a full team of players in there. A lot of that is talent and a lot is coaching and the rest is executing on the field (brilliant aren't I?)

Either way, I am nowhere near as frustrated this year as I was last year so I take this as a positive.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoops, as usual..... everything you say is complete bullshit. Some day your mom will kick you out of her basement in Lone Tree Iowa.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are right, we've lost 3 games to teams that are a combined 20-1, each team will be in the BCS top 25 & we played each of them to the point that we could have won all three, but we are not athletic, our coaches suck and we should just say fuck it... Really?

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you meant me, no I am not saying that...I see the loss to MSU as a huge head scratcher, no idea what happened there after MSU only beat Purdue at home by 2 TD's...I am just saying you can't use youth as an excuse all the time.

You are right, we are what, 4 plays I think from being 6-1 with wins over NIU and OSU, but there is a lot of upside to our game. I personally think the announcers yapping about speed was dumb, we were there on every play, defense got tired in second half..that's the only sucky part about the game, we didn't have that juice in the second half, if we had stopped Miller on that crazy scramble, I think we win easily. One freaking play turned that tide at what, 13 mins to go in the 4th. OSU is not going to beat Bama or Oregon or Florida State...what FSU did to Clemson, sheesh.

In any case, need to just focus on winning vs NW next week...I hate NW. I hope someone runs into Fitz and breaks his other leg...I really don't hate any teams but them, well and Florida. Thrilled Mizzou whomped them too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not directed at you Hawkeye at all, more so at the fans that are too ignorant to take away any positives from this weekend or the general direction of the program. Even with the loss of one lineman, CJ and our three linebackers, I see a ton of improvement from last season to this season and from this season to next season should be more of the same.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron,

Iowa's defense can't get to a QB that plays in the shotgun formations. Throw in athletic QBs that play from the pistol formations and the outcome is the same. Under KF, Iowa's secondary has been notorious for playing a 7-10 yard cushion against WRs. Those two combinations do not making for a top tier BCS program. What is KF doing to prepare his defense for QBs in ANY TYPE of shotgun formations? What is KF doing to win games against teams in these offensive formations? What is KF doing to ensure wins against these teams through Iowa's special teams play? What about Iowa's offense? Sure looks like KF started calling offensive plays in the second half of Iowa's game yesterday.

Yes, two Orange Bowl appears --- AWESOME. Three Outback Bowls and one Capital One Bowl game --- AWESOME. That's six major bowls in 14 years --- AWESOME. Two points here: #1 it is proven that a coach can win BIG in Iowa; #2 KF's conference coaching record is 60-54 - hardly impressive - and a clear indicator of mediocrity.

Four losing B1G conference records
Four .500 conference records
Six winning conference records
This season's conference record is still up in the air, but again, his conference coaching record is 60-54 to date.

Iowa's offense: can't score enough points in games. No other way to say it. Iowa's defense gets tired too easily in games because they can't get off the field. No other way to say it. We agreed on this awhile back: If Iowa's offense averaged 32+ points per game...Iowa wouldn't be losing games they way they have been.

And then we can discuss special teams. I have no idea how KF can have such success with his special teams...and then to go in the exact opposite direction to date. Can't explain bringing in a new special teams coach - that has a strong pedigree in coaching special teams - for this kind of special teams performance this year. Makes me wonder if White gets to call the shots when it comes to special teams play.

We could also talk about the coaching changes that have been made. The last two years...coaching changes have been made. That's two years of feeling each other out in order to be a cohesive coaching staff. Arguments can be made about whether or not this is a cohesive coaching staff. And how much do we really think KFs assistant coaching actually call the plays? Finally, how often does KF overrule calls that his assistants have made during games (or about who should start)?

KF has done MANY GOOD THINGS for the Iowa Football Program. But, it everyone knows his tendencies, weaknesses, and strengths. When nothing changes (recruiting, coaching, and play calling) on game days...Iowa will continue to lose games. And many of those losses will come against teams that Iowa should not lose against!!!

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron,

Iowa did many good things in the 1st half of Saturday's game. No question about that point. But whose to blame for the second half implosion? The players or coaches? Sure looks like Iowa made zero adjustments at half time. And the offensive play calling was a joke by Iowa in the second half (except for the beautiful route and pass to Duzey!). Lets not forget the fact that Iowa never forced OSU to punt Saturday. Iowa's defense gave up 222 rushing yards. And Miller's completed 81.48% of his passes.

I have no doubt that Iowa is an improved team over last years. However, the record may not indicate that Iowa is a better team.

NW - looks to be a winnable game next week. Iowa should rush for 300 yards and 5 TDs. And Rudock should easily get 250+ yards of passing with another 2 TDs. But will KF allow that to happen?
W - I don't think that Iowa wins this game. Iowa's rush defense is struggling.
@ Pur - flip a coin. Purdue seems to be a hot/cold team - very much like Iowa. But Iowa should win this game.
Mich - I don't think that Iowa wins this game. Michigan has the athletic QB, solid RBs, and WRs.
@ Neb - put it in the book - a loss. Nebraska's defense is pretty strong and their offense isn't bad either.

Iowa could be 6-6 at seasons end - or worse! And yes, Iowa is a better team this year than they were last year. A 1-game improvement...is improvement. A 2-game improvement gets Iowa into a crappy bowl game. CBSSports currently projects 8 B1G teams in bowl games. Iowa isn't one of them. I would guess that Iowa gets into the Little Caesars bowl game at 6-6.

Iowa still needs a whole lot of speed on offense and defense. And the special teams units do not look like they have improved even after bringing in a new special teams coach with a pedigree in coaching special teams.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing for sure, we don't rest our D line...EVER. We have some good, young talent on D, but we won't see them until they're Juniors. same old story.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why the fuck can't we rotate some players on D and not have tied ass players in the 2nd half?

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about what will happen, I do know they are a better team now than they were to start the season and I know the schedule has winnable games left, NW, W, Purdue, UM and NE of these 5, I think NW and Purdue are winnable, I think W and UM are winnable, not sure about NE

When we talk about the future it is always hard to predict.

I am excited though cause we show life and we show intensity and we show toughness, I still can't fathom the MSU loss though, stuns me...

2014 - losses: Offense:
Don Schumpert - hasn't caught a lot of balls, but seems dependable when thrown his way
Nolan McMillan - backup to Scherf (possibly only Jr to leave, hope not)
Connor Boffeli - starting center
Brett Van Sloten - I feel he is underrated at his position, this RT will make an NFL roster
CJ Falldownowitz - ok ok he did good against OSU, but with Duzey and Hamilton, not too worried
Jordan Cotton - our kick returner, does KMM fill this role?
Mike Meyer - losing a good kicker here, finally got his crap together on kickoffs

So Offensively, 2 O linemen and TE and kicker

Defense:
Dom Alvis - thought this guy would play bigger but he will be missed
All 3 LB's, Morris, Kirksey, Hitchens - freaking huge loss here, wish they would get some other guys playing time if they can, this is losing 3 All American type guys
BJ Lowery - has the talent but doesn't always use it, Draper steps up?
Tanner Miller

Will Law finally get a chance?

We do need guys to step up, esp at LB next year, that is my biggest worry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoops,

Based on your criteria... Iowa has never had a good football coach! Iowa went into the Horseshoe against a team that hasn't lost in 18 games and is ranked in the top 4, and nearly pulled off the upset. Braxton Miller went off, that's what Heisman candidates do. Is Nick Saban a horrible coach and did Alabama's defense suck last year for allowing Manziel to go off? Should Dabo Sweeney be fired because Winston used Clemson's defense like a street walker? Shit, Stanford should call it a season and fire their coach for sure, hell they lost to Utah at home.... Why aren't you making millions coaching? One minute you dog Ferentz for developing players, the next you ask why I bring up all of the players that he put in the NFL. No correlation there? You sir are an azz clown.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 - losses: Offense:
Don Schumpert - Falling on the depth charts.
Nolan McMillan - backup to Scherf (possibly only Jr to leave, hope not)
Connor Boffeli - Plenty of skilled linemen.
Brett Van Sloten - Great Player, but look for Donnal to step in and not have any drop off.
CJ F - Plenty of studs at this position
Jordan Cotton - our kick returner, Under utilized imo, hardly steps on the field.
Mike Meyer - Iowa always has a good kicker waiting.
So Offensively, 2 O linemen and TE and kicker

Defense:
Dom Alvis - Plenty of young studs up front, the dline will be very tough next year.
All 3 LB's, Morris, Kirksey, Hitchens - Huge loss, but look for Alston, Collins and Perry to fill the voids and be fine behind a beast defensive line.
BJ Lowery - Shows flashes, but Draper will be a stud.
Tanner Miller Nico Law will be a difference maker.

Iowa will be a better team next season in my opinion and will finish this season on a high note.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Scherff declares for the draft after this year. I'm already hearing that he's listed as a first round draft pick. So he'll likely be gone too, which could be a big loss depending on who fills in for him.

My only worries about next year are on defense, and that's due to losing 3 LBs.

I agree with Wing - we really need to rotate DLineman into the game to give everyone a breather. You can see after 3 quarters they have no gas left, especially with a mobile QB running them all over the field.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoops,

Based on your criteria... Iowa has never had a good football coach! Iowa went into the Horseshoe against a team that hasn't lost in 18 games and is ranked in the top 4, and nearly pulled off the upset. Braxton Miller went off, that's what Heisman candidates do. Is Nick Saban a horrible coach and did Alabama's defense suck last year for allowing Manziel to go off? Should Dabo Sweeney be fired because Winston used Clemson's defense like a street walker? Shit, Stanford should call it a season and fire their coach for sure, hell they lost to Utah at home.... Why aren't you making millions coaching? One minute you dog Ferentz for developing players, the next you ask why I bring up all of the players that he put in the NFL. No correlation there? You sir are an azz clown.

Aagain, Aaron, you are selecting points to suit your need while avoiding others.

KF rebuilt the program - no question about that. However, the argument is: Has KF taken the program as far as he possibly can? I'm not dismissing the upsets that do happen in college football. Consider two points: If Iowa beats OSU in the Horseshoe...yes that is a big upset! But if NW comes into Kinnick and beats Iowa...is that an upset? Or how about this, in a 10-year span, how many times should Iowa lose to: NW, Pur, Minn, IL, Iowa St, the MAC?

Saban - sure seems to scheme a game plan to take advantage of his strengths and to expose weaknesses of his opponents. What does the special teams units of Alabama look like?

Manziel has a strong tendency to throw the ball up for grabs and hopes that his teammate comes down with it. And when you have a 6'5'' WR...take your chances. How much does Sumlin scheme to take advantage of his offensive and defensive talent? What does the special teams units of Texas A&M look like?

Sweeney has way more talent than what KF does. And his team totally crashed and burned against FSU. FSU sure looks loaded with talent though don't they. Do you think that Jimbo Fisher schemed to win at Clemson? Did his players execute for ALL FOUR QUARTERS at Clemson?

David Shaw is in his third year as Stanford's coach. His current record is 29-5. In the two previous years, he has had his team in BCS games - winning one and losing one. So......no, Shaw will not be fired for losing to Utah at home. And, Shaw currently has his team in line for another BCS bowl game appearance. Maybe he makes it into the BCS...maybe he doesn't get his team in.

Of the teams that you mentioned: Alabama, Texas A&M, Clemson, Florida St, and Stanford (I'll include Utah just for you) - how many of those teams does Iowa beat RIGHT NOW? Of that list, I think you would agree that the only team that Iowa could beat right now is Utah. The teams that you mentioned (their coaches anyway) doesn't match your argument.

You were the one that brought up the players that KF has developed and sent to the NFL. That is a valid point and commendable. That is UNQUESTIONED. The point that I made is that once players are named "starter", those are the players that are getting the coaching. When the upperclassmen aren't being coached/developed, it is easier for an underclassmen to earn a starting spot. That is the starter incarnate system that KF employs. We won't see the depth on Iowa's roster until the starter graduates, departs for the NFL, or God forbid - gets hurt.

Do you understand how the recruiting and player development program works? Many coaches bring in 'starters' and the offspring of the very wealthy. Why, the starters will play the games and the wealthy kids parents write the check to the program. Currently, there are wealthy kids on the Iowa football roster that will never see game time action....but KF is waiting for the check - and he'll get that check. In case you missed it, my point is this: the upperclassmen aren't developing because they don't get the coaching. {They were brought in to NEVER PLAY.} So, when a position battle opens up, an underclassmen has an equal chance of starting because they are at the same athletic development point. The difference is, the young recruit has the ability to develop (more as the starter) over the senior that is leaving.

How much money did the family of Manziel give to Texas A&M? Was it enough that made Manziel the starter? Or did Sumlin not have any QB talent in the program that he took over? HMMMMM

My thought process is rational versus emotional. I can EASILY talk about the positives AND the negatives of Iowa Football. I see your posts as emotional versus rational. You fail (on a grand scale) to acknowledge the negatives with Iowa's program. And if anyone does acknowledge the negatives...you pounce. I get why you do that. And it is a telling character trait that you possess.

Name calling again Aaron...another telling character trait that you possess.