• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We are a running team

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seasons squad could be at the worst 11-1 if the brain trust in Norman had figured out sooner what most of us already knew. We have the size on the O-line and the running backs to wear out anyone we have played or will play. I could have seen the KSU, TCU, and maybe even the Baylor game going a lot differently if we were committed to running the ball from the first quarter on. Even the defense seems to play much better when we are giving them long stretches to rest with good long drives by the offense. Now the only question is what will we do next season? Come out throwing the ball all over the yard or committ to the run game and wear people out? When you try to be good at everything you are never great at one thing. Remember the teams from the Switzer era and everyone knew they were going to run the wishbone down your throat and nobody could stop it? Well that is because they were great at running the ball. I know times are different and everyone is in for the pass happy spread offense but look around the country at teams like Stanford (minus this season but for the past 5 years) , Michigan State, LSU, Arky, and for the most part Bama have won with a strong running game. I know people might say I am having a knee jerk reaction to big rushing games against the two worst teams in the conference but I would counter with how did we beat WVU? It sure wasn't throwing the ball! Once we got away from that identity that is when the season started to slip away too. Balance is one thing but putting yourself in horrible situations by trying to throw the ball when you don't have the WR's or QB is just stupid. One day maybe Stoops will wake up and realize this is the way to go. But knowing him he will still be talking about being multiple 5 years from now.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a few years back but Barry Switzer was asked what kind of offense he would run in today's game. He said he would run the speed option out of the I formation like Osborne did at Nebraska.

He said you can do anything out of that formation.
After watching Alabama the last few years, I think Barry was right, not that Bama is pitching the ball a lot, but is good at whatever they do out of it.

Of course Barry said you have to have a great Defense, which is really the key to whatever you run of Offense.:nod:

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you try to be good at everything you are never great at one thing. Remember the teams from the Switzer era and everyone knew they were going to run the wishbone down your throat and nobody could stop it? Well that is because they were great at running the ball.

Remember the Bradford years when you knew they were going to come out and throw it all over and were successful? I think you are 100% correct, commit to the team's strength. I think everyone but Heupel knew that this team was NOT going to be a passing team. The fact that he kept forcing it is why we are at 8-3 and out of the playoff picture. Think of what it would look like if we has shoved Samaje, Ford and Ross down the throats of the Big XII all season...sad, really.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the Bradford years when you knew they were going to come out and throw it all over and were successful? I think you are 100% correct, commit to the team's strength. I think everyone but Heupel knew that this team was NOT going to be a passing team. The fact that he kept forcing it is why we are at 8-3 and out of the playoff picture. Think of what it would look like if we has shoved Samaje, Ford and Ross down the throats of the Big XII all season...sad, really.

Great point....Knight nor Thomas is Bradford, but Heupel has a habit of treating or giving people the alusion that they are Bradford. Also, Bradford had a great back in DeMarco Murray, which made defense's respect the pass and the run.

I understand the running back committee in keeping the backs fresh, but when you have one solid back, you allow him to be the workhorse and makes teams have to key on him.

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I listed the backs in order. Samaje, first and workhorse. The other two are change of pace, give Optimus a break, backs. Until a defense stops him, why not run for days.

Yeah, the DeMarco Murray thing is kinda funny. During the Bradford year (because his Heisman year was his great year), almost no one talked about DM. But without him, everyone keys on receivers and Sammy. So, Josh Heupel, if you are reading this, quit trying to turn everyone into Sam.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I listed the backs in order. Samaje, first and workhorse. The other two are change of pace, give Optimus a break, backs. Until a defense stops him, why not run for days.

Yeah, the DeMarco Murray thing is kinda funny. During the Bradford year (because his Heisman year was his great year), almost no one talked about DM. But without him, everyone keys on receivers and Sammy. So, Josh Heupel, if you are reading this, quit trying to turn everyone into Sam.

I believe if DeMarco Murray hadn't been injured, OU would have won the National Championship, he was such an intregal part of the offense and brought so much to the table.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a replay of the game with Florida and the man to man coverage that Florida was playing was getting away with being really physical against our WRs. The first long pass of the game should have been a targeting call but we didn't have that rule yet. Think DeMarco would have helped with his receiving out of the backfield but Florida took away the passing game by being physical with the WRs. We left a ton of points on the field by not taking the FG's when we had the ball inside their 10. But that is Monday morning quarterbacking. A great running game would have pounded those in. Even that line as great as they were was torn between being pass blockers and run blockers.