• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warriors Vs Grizzlies

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who watched the game; Is this quote from SFGATE.Com incorrect?

""The Warriors (8-4) have lost 11 straight games to Memphis (7-5) - dating back to Nov. 3, 2010 - but this time they came as close as ever to ending the skid. They beat the Grizzlies' hulking frontline in paint points and second-chance points and built a 12-point, fourth-quarter lead.""

Appears from the play by play in SI.Com that the Dubs never had a 12-point lead.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We never had a fourth quarter lead. Grizz had a 2 point lead going into the 4th

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to gripe about a loss where you're missing so many components of your team...but I'm gonna try anyways!

1) I get MJax trying to institute the Phil Jackson art of not calling a timeout, but clearly the team was struggling. I get you not calling a time out when the Grizz score 3 buckets in a row. Fine. I get you not calling a time out when your lead drops from 12 to 5. What I can't understand how you do not call a timeout until your team not only loses the lead, but goes into a 3 point hole (the Warriors got down 1, and Jackson waiting for ANOTHER basket to call a timeout). Seriously. On a fully healthy team, I can understand this. But when you're short on players, maybe...just maybe they might be gassed and need a timeout?

2) Klay Thompson needs to be more aggressive out there in games where you're going to be relied upon more for creating points. I get he was being guarded by Prince a lot of the time, but with your top scorer out, he's got to be more assertive on the court. He wasn't shooting well in the first half and he seemed to drift at times. The few times he did take the ball to the bucket good things happened. This will be a part of his growth as well.

3) Jackson again...why are you not doubling the post on Randolph(or whoever Bogut is not guarding). Pondexter, Prince, Bayless, Catheles.....seriously take your pick of who you want to leave open. To be fair Lee gave a phenomenal effort against Randolph last night. He's not going to be a defensive stopper, but he worked his ass off against him. Props to Lee. Anyways, back to the point. The Grizz are not a good outside shooting team. Add to that your added size and athleticism on the perimeter for the majority of the game, the Warriors should have forced the ball out of Randolph's hands. The defensive rotations in the game were for the most part good. Lets try that more maybe next time?

4) The biggest thing for me was Jackson not taking at least 1 or 2 time outs just to give his guys a break. Pop does it all the time. There were times where I saw that Bogut, Lee and AI in particular were all gassed. You already know they're going to play huge minutes, so why not steal a break for them every once in a while?

The pragmatist in me understands Jackson's logic behind some of his moves. The fan in me is upset we lost a clearly winnable game with a depleted roster. These are the ones you need to steal to move up in the standings.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did fine on defense

Don't feed the trolls. tweezil is a shitbird from way back who stops in to rile people up from time to time. If a bigger, more pedantic blowhard ever existed, I'd be shocked. Asked him how my brother and I punked him at the Giants game back in 2010. He'll run with his tail between his legs just like he did on that day.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Strange that SFGate.com had them blowing a 12point 4th quarter lead.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I look up this morning, the sky is still intact. As frustrating as this loss was, consider the following:

No Curry and no trustworthy understudy. That's why Iggy had to fill in, but he ain't a point guard, and he certainly ain't Steph.

Iggy left his shot in the locker room last night.

Randolph and Gasol are the best front court tandem in basketball.

It was kind of like the first Duran/Leonard fight. The fleet footed Sugar Ray decided to stand toe to toe with the Manos de Piadra and almost won. The Warriors got to play their first real playoff style game of the season during last night's grinder, and they came up just short. They have 70 games left to make adjustments and perhaps an acquisition or two.

Strange as it sounds, I'm more confident of the Warriors ability to compete against premier teams in the playoffs now than I was going into last night's game.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I look up this morning, the sky is still intact. As frustrating as this loss was, consider the following:

No Curry and no trustworthy understudy. That's why Iggy had to fill in, but he ain't a point guard, and he certainly ain't Steph.

Iggy left his shot in the locker room last night.

Randolph and Gasol are the best front court tandem in basketball.

It was kind of like the first Duran/Leonard fight. The fleet footed Sugar Ray decided to stand toe to toe with the Manos de Piadra and almost won. The Warriors got to play their first real playoff style game of the season during last night's grinder, and they came up just short. They have 70 games left to make adjustments and perhaps an acquisition or two.

Strange as it sounds, I'm more confident of the Warriors ability to compete against premier teams in the playoffs now than I was going into last night's game.

The fragility of Curry remains a big question mark though. I'm not surprised by the way the Warriors competed. Many times when a team is injured they come out fighting. They just didn't have enough in the tank to sustain the fight at the end.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fragility of Curry remains a big question mark though. I'm not surprised by the way the Warriors competed. Many times when a team is injured they come out fighting. They just didn't have enough in the tank to sustain the fight at the end.
The concussion was really a freak occurrence, but I am equally concerned about the durability of Steph's hinges. The starting five plus Barnes and Green will be as good as most any by the end of the season (if everyone remains healthy, of course). It's once we start looking further down the bench we find the Warriors wanting.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The concussion was really a freak occurrence, but I am equally concerned about the durability of Steph's hinges. The starting five plus Barnes and Green will be as good as most any by the end of the season (if everyone remains healthy, of course). It's once we start looking further down the bench we find the Warriors wanting.

Agreed. Especially now with Douglass, O'Neill, Kuzmic, Ezeli and Nedovic all down.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We led at:

68-66
70-68
72-71
75-73

but yeah, other than that, you're dead on....

:arg:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not big on actually watching the game, are you?

:arg:

Ummm our frontcourt actually outplayed them. Better effciency gasol and randolph went 40% combined while lee and bogut went almost 50% combined

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm our frontcourt actually outplayed them. Better effciency gasol and randolph went 40% combined while lee and bogut went almost 50% combined

That's not what you said. Try and stay on topic. Or even better, WATCH THE GAME. That way you won't be subject to looking foolish by saying things like "we never led in the 4th quarter."

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way I think it should of been bogut on randolph and lee on gasol the whole time because gasol is more of a long 2 jump shooter anyway. Also doubling those guys worked but they rarely did it... But once we have feature ezeli back off the bench we will be able to bang with those guys even though the grizzlies have a terrible perimeter game

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what you said. Try and stay on topic. Or even better, WATCH THE GAME. That way you won't be subject to looking foolish by saying things like "we never led in the 4th quarter."

I'm saying going into the 4th quarter. Also I wouldn't call a 9/22 for 21 points to be a good game..

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way I think it should of been bogut on randolph and lee on gasol the whole time because gasol is more of a long 2 jump shooter anyway. Also doubling those guys worked but they rarely did it... But once we have feature ezeli back off the bench we will be able to bang with those guys even though the grizzlies have a terrible perimeter game

If Lee had been on Gasol, they would have keep feeding the ball to Gasol. The Grizz see what everyone else does: Lee is a below average defender.

Well, everyone but YOU.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying going into the 4th quarter. Also I wouldn't call a 9/22 for 21 points to be a good game..

From post #103: "We never had a fourth quarter lead. Grizz had a 2 point lead going into the 4th"

What part of dead wrong in public don't you understand?

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lee had been on Gasol, they would have keep feeding the ball to Gasol. The Grizz see what everyone else does: Lee is a below average defender.

Well, everyone but YOU.

He was bad every year but this year he's been average but randolph will beat a average defender half the time