• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Walt Jocketty says Dusty will be back

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy who is ruining Mat Latos' arm?

The one who ran a guy out to pitch in a do or die game who hasn't pitched in four months because he couldn't juggle the staff so we could have a guy going in a game we KNEW we would be in?

The guy who refused to play two of our youngest, and most talented guys?

Fuck you, Dusty. If you're going to be back, I won't be.

/rant. Have a good off season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that the amount of time I spend watching this team next year will be greatly diminished if Baker is brought back. If the front office is too dense to understand that the fans are tired of this, and that attendance will suffer -- they deserve what they get.

If that loser conjures up some more pointless lies to support his recipe for failure, he needs to be called out. The final 6 games of the season were an insult to me.

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a link to this so hopefully you are just joking. Starting Cueto in a one game playoff when the guy has hardly played all year should be grounds for firing. This guy gets team loaded with good young talent and this is always the end result. The guy reminds me of Obama where they never want to put any of the blame on him.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty needs to get fired no way he needs to be back for another season. Reds are better then that!

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will NOT be attending a Reds game next year if that is the case. I will continue to follow them, but not as closely as I have. It really boils down to there being no point. We all know the Reds won't go anywhere in the playoffs with all current personnel in place. Why invest time, energy, money, and emotion into a team that won't win when it counts?

Banana Bob should really consider the options. If Walt is unwilling to pull the trigger on Dusty, Castellini has the power to do just that. If not, maybe it's time to pull the trigger on Walt? At the very least, Brook Jacoby should be unemployed by spring training. Whatever it is, there definitely needs to be a personnel change, and certainly not excluded to a change in personnel on the field. This team needs new blood on the management/front office side of things.

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id rather see a Reds team with not much talent try to see how close to.500 they can get than to watch a team loaded with talent being ruined by a jackass manager. I'm guessing the Astros in their final game this season showed more enthusiasm than the Reds did in their one game playoff with Pittsburgh.

If this is true I will be in Goodyear holding up a giant sign in left field that says Fire Dusty.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I intend to dial back my interest, for sure.
Dusty isn't the real reason but the front office that doesn't even try to listen to the fans can get fucked.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id rather see a Reds team with not much talent try to see how close to.500 they can get than to watch a team loaded with talent being ruined by a jackass manager. I'm guessing the Astros in their final game this season showed more enthusiasm than the Reds did in their one game playoff with Pittsburgh.

If this is true I will be in Goodyear holding up a giant sign in left field that says Fire Dusty.

Astros ended the year with 15 straight losses and were pushing the Yankees to the 14th inning of the last game of the year before they ran out of pitchers.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't surprise me, given Dusty's protectorate.

What puzzles me is the incessant and immediate statements after saying Dusty would be back- that the Reds need to look for "leadership"...a coach or a player that can "kick the team in the pants"...it's another plea for Scott Rolen- a player to do not only the job he's qualified and paid for- playing- but to do part of the managers job too.

IMO, this is also demotivational to players, who already obviously feel insufficient with less than desired results...and who get chastised for errors, lack of offense or ability to get outs, but also have to overcome an infinite number of managerial and coaching dificiencies, where the result makes a players job tougher than it already is. I have done sad news for you- Jason Giambi wouldn't be heralded as an Indians leader, if he hit .210 and spent half the year on the DL, regardless if his mentoring skills...and Cleveland didnt win more this season all because of Giambi, or lose that play in because of him either.

IMO, a manager is the head of the family. The buck is supposed to stop with him. He isn't supposed to defer to an adopted child, then blame him when his grades are bad and the bills aren't paid. I know one thing, Dusty has asked for one more hitter for 6 years, and has for what he asked for. He didnt have enough pitching when he arrived, and has gotten that too, on a regular basis. Now I suppose he needs an assistant, player-manager that can communicate the business required if winning at a level fitting their talent, even against the worst teams in MLB. It's an indictment that it takes more than roster talent to win...so why is it justified to place lack of leadership on the increasingly improved talent, too ?

I don't get it, at all. Unfortunately, its probable neither do a lot of players, and fans.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at it from a lazy business perspective.
Dusty has a contract so there's no need to do the bureaucracy of having to buy him out and look for a replacement. The front office sees it as not having a reason to worry with this part of the process.

Moving on to something else, is what they figure. We have a manager. Why do that work twice?

Now we are resigned to having to wonder if a miracle actually does happen twice in my lifetime. The '69 Mets were not enough, I reckon.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
" Now I suppose he needs an assistant, player-manager that can communicate
the business required if winning at a level fitting their talent, even against
the worst teams in MLB."

Sounds like a good idea 1507

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this article but I just don't buy it. Anybody could see this team had no enthusiasm and really showed little desire to win and this all falls on the manager. How can the Reds organization sell this team with Dusty at the helm.

Not sure its even a good business decision to keep him considering all the fans they will lose from this.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty fired! Hallelujah! They just announced it on mike & mike!!

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty just wasn't on the same page as Walt.

Is Brook Jacoby worth throwing away a job with the Reds ? I guess it's easier if you still get paid $3.5M next year. It's a win for both Baker and the Reds. Jacoby, not so much. Where's Dick Pole now ? He was Dusty's pitching coach...before Walt hired Bryan Price.

Hopefully, the next manager has a couple of base coaches that won't forget trailing runners half the time while watching the play at the plate, and a bullpen coach that recognizes sweat on a pitcher before he sends them in to pitch. It might also help if they had a hitting coach with a plan other than a solo homer. Might also need a bench coach that can remind the manager a walk of the 8 hitter with 2 on, 1 out and 1b open, when the closer is on deck, MIGHT be better strategy than pitching to him with the infield pulled in...and that 1 out and 2 strikes is a pitch out situation, not a steal situation, and if slugs like Rolen and Bruce are running in a no out rally, it isn't surprise, it's surrender.

Dusty was The Lord of LOB. Joey Votto didn't set an all time record for OB, hit over .300 for the season, and with RISP, and have 24 HR, while having under 80 RBI because HE sucked, it was because having the 2nd highest NL OBP guy (Choo) on the lineup couldn't make up for a .225 guy between them...and asking BP to take his .260 BA and 18 HR to the cleanup spot wasn't making up for it either.

Dusty was flawed and stubborn. It's a bad combo.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say we can retire this thread. It serves no other purpose.