• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grossman, Mesz, Timonen, and Streit are either old or they are simply too beat up to hang at this level. Either way this defense won't get it done. What's worse is we can't even score to mask this problem. Feel bad for Mason. He played well but his stats show otherwise.

Mason played great! Not sure I agree on Streit though he's been good. Coburn was a -3 he's your true goat and Grossmann had a hard night. Still like to see Laurd back up at some point I think he did well last year at least he gives her.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tell them to look at their damn birth certificates-they sure as hell play like old men.

Grossman, Mesz, Timonen, and Streit are either old or they are simply too beat up to hang at this level. Either way this defense won't get it done. What's worse is we can't even score to mask this problem. Feel bad for Mason. He played well but his stats show otherwise.

I can't argue with either of these..

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason played great! Not sure I agree on Streit though he's been good. Coburn was a -3 he's your true goat and Grossmann had a hard night. Still like to see Laurd back up at some point I think he did well last year at least he gives her.

That second goal was 100% no doubt about it Coburn's fault. Puck was to Mason's right and Coburn was standing on his left watching the Canuck sit wide open in front of Mason....

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was very encouraged through two periods. We had the energy, discipline, hits, chances, were forechecking hard on offense and had tight checking on defense. The only things we could've possibly done better were to get a few more shots and clear the puck from our zone quicker. Everything else was solid.

The only goal by the Canucks through two was a complete fluke. It really should've been 2-0 or 3-0 Flyers at the second intermission and then it's a totally different game.

No doubt about it, we completely choked it away in the third. Both of those goals were preventable via simple defensive coverage and both chances pretty much hung Mason out to dry.

It's encouraging to see the much improved play, but again, it's a loss that should've been a win, which is more frustrating than anything.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough loss for the Flyers, but you gotta be happy with Tye McGinn brought to the ice last night. He brings a sense of toughness to the team and last night he brought the scoring touch. Can't wait for Thursday night. Season doesn't officially begin until the Flyers play the Pens.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Mason and Tye McGinn played well, the rest of the team of course played like crap - and they play scared when they get a lead

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're always at least competitive against the Pens, so we're really going to see what we have with this team tomorrow night. It couldn't come at a better time either because the Chief will be able to practice the team hard on whatever we didn't execute in this game for the next week solid.

I still feel like this team is a bit of a sleeping giant and this next game is one that could wake everyone up. Mason is actually playing very well, so once our offense starts firing on all cylinders, we're going to win a lot of games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're always at least competitive against the Pens, so we're really going to see what we have with this team tomorrow night. It couldn't come at a better time either because the Chief will be able to practice the team hard on whatever we didn't execute in this game for the next week solid.

I still feel like this team is a bit of a sleeping giant and this next game is one that could wake everyone up. Mason is actually playing very well, so once our offense starts firing on all cylinders, we're going to win a lot of games.

I doubt it - like I said I don't want false hope with this team - I'm not being suckered into it - this team is still not doing the little things, so this "sleeping giant" stuff means nothing unless they decide to do the little things that are key to winning games

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it - like I said I don't want false hope with this team - I'm not being suckered into it - this team is still not doing the little things, so this "sleeping giant" stuff means nothing unless they decide to do the little things that are key to winning games

ON THE VERGE... - Philadelphia Flyers - News

I agree with G. This team is getting better game by game and it really struck me through two periods last night. If not for a total fluke bounce or two in favor of Vancouver, that's a game we win nine times out of ten, even with the current state of the team. How often does a puck bounce two feet in front of the net on an around the glass dump in? That almost never happens. Kesler didn't even have to move as the puck was right on the blade of his stick.

It's easy to just throw your hands up in the air and say this team is garbage and they're never going to recover, but I'm not buying it. It may take through the end of November, but this is going to be a good team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with G. This team is getting better game by game and it really struck me through two periods last night. If not for a total fluke bounce or two in favor of Vancouver, that's a game we win nine times out of ten, even with the current state of the team. How often does a puck bounce two feet in front of the net on an around the glass dump in? That almost never happens.

It's easy to just throw your hands up in the air and say this team is garbage and they're never going to recover, but I'm not buying it. It may take through the end of November, but this is going to be a good team.

I read something the other day that only 3 out of the last 32 teams to have been 4 or more points out of the last playoff spot going into November would make the playoffs - Flyers better get on a winning streak now or they're not going to make it

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something the other day that only 3 out of the last 32 teams to have been 4 or more points out of the last playoff spot going into November would make the playoffs - Flyers better get on a winning streak now or they're not going to make it

Fortunately, that stat is obsolete with the new playoff format and divisions this year. The Metro division as a whole is so bad right now that only one of the three guaranteed playoff spots is being secured. The other two are entirely up for grabs and will be for awhile. The Pens are the only team in the entire division with a winning record. If the Flyers were to get hot in November, it would not be too late.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunately, that stat is obsolete with the new playoff format and divisions this year. The Metro division as a whole is so bad right now that only one of the three guaranteed playoff spots is being secured. The other two are entirely up for grabs and will be for awhile. The Pens are the only team in the entire division with a winning record. If the Flyers were to get hot in November, it would not be too late.

True, but I think the Rangers will get going and maybe the Devils - the Flyers are going to be in trouble if they can't get a top 3 spot in the Metro - the Atlantic is much better and might end up with five teams

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with G. This team is getting better game by game and it really struck me through two periods last night. If not for a total fluke bounce or two in favor of Vancouver, that's a game we win nine times out of ten, even with the current state of the team. How often does a puck bounce two feet in front of the net on an around the glass dump in? That almost never happens. Kesler didn't even have to move as the puck was right on the blade of his stick.

Preach it brother mav! :amen:

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree that we have progressively looked better, but I think that by the time we turn it around (IF we turn it around) the hole will already be way too deep.