• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UWs Potential coaches

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is it appears Wilcox is headed to U$C.

I don't think hiring Nuss is going to change that. I figure the only way he stays at UW is if he is offered the head coaching job, which is still a possibility at this point.

Wilcox is a PACNW guy. I think there is a good chance he stays in the right situation. He's got two classes of D recruits with his stamp on. The Husky D played awesome this year.

The important thing here is that the Huskies didn't see this coming. No need to panic yet, but we got to try to make this as painless, while still the right choice, as possible. Woodward would be looking at a best case scenario of retaining the majority of the very good assistant crew we already have here, especially on the D side. We got only two months to hire a new HC, and whatever crew of assistants is solidified, and build a doable 2014 recruit class.

I hate to be a all eggs in one basket guy, but with Mora who was obviously Woodwards #1 choice, we move to #2. Much points to Nuss being #2 or one of the #2 tier guys right now on the list. If we don't have an announcement of a new coach by this time next week, we'll know there is some problems going on behind the scenes we aren't aware of.

And it's got to be a tough call for Nuss. He's got a massively sweet setup going on at Bama right now with the success they are having. He's 42 and it's kind of go time for him to become a HC at a good program, if that's his desire. Some assistants and coordinators aren't suited for HC duties. It's just not their bag. We'll know soon. Important thing is to not panic. This is a job that is highly desirable to many coaches. It's not like whoever comes in is inheriting smoking crater as many do. They are walking into a pretty sweet setup with a roster filled with talented jrs and seniors, a team that won 8 games, and easily the best NCAA football facilities west of the rockies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JUSTIN WILCOX

Career Path: GA'd at Boise State, then coached linebackers at Cal. Back to Boise State as a defensive coordinator for four years before becoming DC at Tennessee under Derek Dooley. Came to Washington under Steve Sarkisian to replace Nick Holt following the 2011 season.

What's To Like: He's already got an office in UW's football facilites building. Turned a record setting defense (in the bad sort of way) into a solid Pac-12 unit, which continues to improve. Connections to the current staff, which on the whole is thought of as one of the best in the conference, if not the country. Retain recruiting ties to players already committed as well as those who the current staff has been working on for this cycle.

Reasons To Be Cautious: No head coaching experience. Young. Isn't necessarily a dynamic personality. How would he handle hiring an offensive staff?

Why He'd Be Interested: He's already entrenched at UW. While it may be somewhat of a disappointing hire if Wilcox is the ultimate hire, he's very well respected throughout the fanbase. As first time head coaching gigs go, it's not often you get to take over a job that is as set up as well as Washington is right now. It'd be a nice pay raise to just move his office down the hall.

Is It A Good Fit: In terms of continuity, yes. However, it wouldn't be as splashy a hire as most are probably hoping for. There's reason to believe that he'd continue to improve the upward trend that Steve Sarkisian had the program on, and though it may not be as quick a path as most would like, continuing it will inevitably lead the program to the places we want it to be.

~By Anthony Cassino

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's straight up respect is all, Woodard knows his at a very serious turning point for the program, he will leave no stone unturned...

Yeah maybe. But I don't see the point at all. We're talking about a guy who has barely been involved in coaching at any lvl.

Woody needs to be on the phone with serious possibilities instead of worrying about respecting every 2yr assistant.

Times a'wasting.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard Wilcox is interviewing today as well.

Starting to think these are damage control interviews rather than HC interviews.

A lot of people are liking the Wilcox angle for HC. I'm not all in on that one for the reasons Anthony alluded to in his write up.

Could be worse but to me it feels like settling rather than getting the best guy available.

If Wilcox is the best guy available then I'm led to believe the UW HC job isn't as desirable as I thought.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tui may end up the guy listed as HC for the bowl game, and act as one of the primary interim guys for the team to organize the bowl practices. Remember that Sunday we find out what bowl were going to and we'll have practice sessions to run. Maybe he asked to be interviewed for the HC job as well. But this may have more to do with keeping things rolling till a new HC comes in. Just like Sark, the new guy will not be heavily involved in the bowl game, and concentrating on building the new staff, and recruiting.

Relax.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

@InsideUSC: #USC does not want to pay full $1 million buyout for #Washington DC Justin Wilcox but willing to pay $400,000 buyout for Tosh Lopoi.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is already speculation brewing that Sark plans a raid on Mora's staff as well so at least we aren't the only ones.

There is also a team meeting at 5pm today so we might be getting some news about lead coaches for the bowl game in the next 24 hours.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice gesture by Mike Holmgrem. Says if AD Scott Woodward asked him to help coach the bowl game, he would.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making good points on KJR about Tui being named interim head coach. Most likely means Wilcox is not being heavily considered to take over.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making good points on KJR about Tui being named interim head coach. Most likely means Wilcox is not being heavily considered to take over.

I think Wilcox could make a fine HC with another 3+ years of experience, but right now, I don't think he's quite there yet. But I would love for him to stay our D coordinator for years to come. He's done an amazing job rebuilding our D.

I think the Tui thing has to do a lot with his legacy with the team and QB coach status. It's not the defense we have to worry about in the up and coming bowl, but the offense. Sark did a lot of the work and game day play calling. I also think people shouldn't read into this that much past our bowl game. I can't see a scenario of Tui becoming our next head coach unless multiple other candidates turn us down.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wilcox could make a fine HC with another 3+ years of experience, but right now, I don't think he's quite there yet. But I would love for him to stay our D coordinator for years to come. He's done an amazing job rebuilding our D.

I think the Tui thing has to do a lot with his legacy with the team and QB coach status. It's not the defense we have to worry about in the up and coming bowl, but the offense. Sark did a lot of the work and game day play calling. I also think people shouldn't read into this that much past our bowl game. I can't see a scenario of Tui becoming our next head coach unless multiple other candidates turn us down.

I don't think any reasonable fan is reading too much into Tui. No one expects that he will be in charge longer than the bowl game. But this scenario does seem to suggest Wilcox is not in the running to get the job or he's hoping to bail. It seems weird that they'd name Tui the interim coach and then turn around and promote Wilcox after the bowl game.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any reasonable fan is reading too much into Tui. No one expects that he will be in charge longer than the bowl game. But this scenario does seem to suggest Wilcox is not in the running to get the job or he's hoping to bail. It seems weird that they'd name Tui the interim coach and then turn around and promote Wilcox after the bowl game.

I don't get why people automatically assume he's gone unless he gets the HC job here. There was a lot of rumors and flat out falsehoods being tweeted out by many during the chaos on monday. Many were so blindsided, they just took it all as fact. Was hard not to with all the emotions of that moment, but cooler heads are already prevailing.

He's got a great thing going on here right now and ties to the PACNW. I'd like to see him stay, but we'll see.

The fact is if he leaves for another job in the PAC, it's a million dollar buyout. That's serious money, even for USC, just for a buyout for an assistant position.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So word around campus is that Petersen is quite interested in the job and either has, or will soon be speaking to Woodward in person.

Everyone has more or less assumed Petersen is off the table as he always seems to say no to every offer he has had. But assume for a moment he wants it. Is he then at or near the top of your list?

I think I've made it clear I'm a huge supporter of his. He has the discipline and respect I want out of a HC. You guys?

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So word around campus is that Petersen is quite interested in the job and either has, or will soon be speaking to Woodward in person.

Everyone has more or less assumed Petersen is off the table as he always seems to say no to every offer he has had. But assume for a moment he wants it. Is he then at or near the top of your list?

I think I've made it clear I'm a huge supporter of his. He has the discipline and respect I want out of a HC. You guys?

Completely agree. I can't put words together to express how on board I'd be with him coming here, other than I think he'd be a perfect fit here.

I'm not going to get my hopes up for now, like you mentioned history suggests we shouldn't. But I'll be piss-my-pants excited if he's announced as the next UW head coach.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just because he is showing interest doesn't mean he would take it if offered. He could be using it to get a raise and more for his staff just like Mora. Hell Sumlin got something out of being offered by USC and so far Mora has made a fortune off this thing, why not Petersen too?

I just know some worry about his ability to translate his success to the major AQ level and wonder how many would still have Nussmeier or Wilcox ahead of him because of it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Petersen, Doug Nussmeier apparent front-runners in UW?s coaching search | Husky Football Blog | Seattle Times
So now the Times is reporting pretty much what I was hearing that Petersen and Nussmeier are the front runners for this thing.

For me, I'd want Petersen over Nuss, if those were the only two choices. Not that I think coach nussmeier would be horrible, but do we need to take another coach with zero HC experience and watch them fumble through 2-3 years of getting their swag going?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Petersen, Doug Nussmeier apparent front-runners in UW?s coaching search | Husky Football Blog | Seattle Times
So now the Times is reporting pretty much what I was hearing that Petersen and Nussmeier are the front runners for this thing.

For me, I'd want Petersen over Nuss, if those were the only two choices. Not that I think coach nussmeier would be horrible, but do we need to take another coach with zero HC experience and watch them fumble through 2-3 years of getting their swag going?

I believe Petersen will be a better fit here than Nuss. Words has it that Nuss is similar to that of Sarkisian and I don't want another one around here.