• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UW vs Illinois @ Solder Field

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's on the Big10 network for sure.

Comcast ch 404 or 632

Dish Network 439

DirecTV 610

Thanks, I'm a Comcast customer and I get not authorize :gaah: I'm going to have to make some changes.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did everybody go?

Usually game threads are started on the college general forum so everyone can post there and trash talk while it's taking place. There was one over there for this game today. That's how it will go for the season, etc....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I'm a Comcast customer and I get not authorize :gaah: I'm going to have to make some changes.

I watched it at a sports bar near my house today. I don't get the Big10 network on Comcast either. It's available but you have to pay extra via a sports package to get it authorized. Since I get PAC12 net and most others, no need to order it.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win, but I wouldn't call it a great win.

The positives:
Sankey, sankey, and sankey. This kid is something really special and we all know it. Ran for over 1500 yards last year with a terrible line in front of him. So far this year he is adding on to that with an improved line. Over 200y on the ground and over 270 all purpose yards on the day. Going to be fun watching him for the rest of this season. Nearly as dominate as Dillon was.

Price had more than a solid day. No fumbles or interceptions on a road game is as big for him IMO as his overall passing stats. He made good decisions all day and outside of not running when he could have a few times there isn't much you can criticize him on.

Mickens is fast making us pencil him in as the #1 go to guy. It's not that KW has fallen off in ability, but they are really liking going to Mickens for his speed. KW will have his games, but the other teams are right now putting their best coverage on him. If Mickens and Ross can continue to play as well as they have I'm sure the coverage will lighten up on KW and we will see more explosive plays with him down the road.

Defense overall continued the bend but don't break and did a great job of it through 3 quarters anyway.

The negatives:
Penalties really killed several drives and cost this team points. 12 penalties for over 100y is just not acceptable. We can say a few were likely not good calls, but many were. You just can't be that undisciplined on the road and expect to win when Pac12 play begins. With road trips to Stanford, ASU, Oregon State, and UCLA they must address that or those are all easy losses.

Freshman RB Washington fumbled twice on drives where UW was moving the ball well and cost us points. Pulling him out after the second one was the right call, but how will this impact him over the rest of the season. When you play this uptempo style you need to substitute often and they will likely need him in conference play.

Uptempo speed wasn't what we expected in this game. Instead of getting tighter on those between play areas I thought they were a bit more disorganized at times than they were with the BSU game. Their next road game is @ Stanford. They have to keep working on this and keep getting better if it is going to be an effective tool.

The defense wasn't terrible, and in fact did a darned good job over the first 3 quarters, but allowing Illinois to get back into it in the 4th quarter probably had many having flashbacks to last years apple cup. They didn't just bend over that stretch, they broke. Ducre had an outstanding day, but everyone will remember the one play he let a WR get behind him on when he didn't have top protection and it cost them. Losing Timu over the second half seemed to lead to problems stopping the run in the middle. They have to have enough depth to adjust for his loss and not let them run at will with the QB up the gut. Someone needs to step up and it didn't look to me like they did.

The end result:
You take a double digit win on the road against just about anyone. Illinois has a talented QB and some good tools around him so feel good you beat them. The offense played well, but shot themselves in the foot too many times with 2 turnovers and the bulk of those penalties. This is the same story we have seen cause losses on the road over the years. It has been, and continues to be a concern.

ASJ and KW were not much of a factor in this game and they still end up over 600y of total offense. Their best game is ahead of them at some point this season when they can put it all together.

The good news is they have another tune up game next week to work on things.

The bad news is after that game they have Arizona at home, @Stanford, and Oregon at home. They do not have the luxury of fixing and addressing some of these slowly over the course of the season.