• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UW Class of 2014 Recruiting Thread

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the recent hiring of Petersen is there a sense that grabbing those 4 and 5 star recruits isn't as important as it would've been with Sark? I think Petersen is a much better motivator and coach and can take those 3 star recruits and make them PAC-12 caliber at UW

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the recent hiring of Petersen is there a sense that grabbing those 4 and 5 star recruits isn't as important as it would've been with Sark? I think Petersen is a much better motivator and coach and can take those 3 star recruits and make them PAC-12 caliber at UW

To me it is not a huge deal. I do not put a lot of stock into recruiting classes personally. As long as the coaches get all the positions filled with guys they believe can succeed, that is the important part to me. There are plenty of players overlooked in the recruiting process that have tons of success in college and even the NFL. For every 5 star prospect that dominates the college game you have one that never does anything. The Huskies have had plenty of 4 and 5 star prospects who never made a difference.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure there are plenty of 2 star and 3 star players who end up kicking ass and go to the NFL.

But I"m also a big subscriber to the saying, "You can't win a horse race with a donkey" when it comes to this subject.

The PAC has moved to another level recently and the competition within the conference is got an arms race feel. Exciting times, but need to recruit lights out to get it done right now. Sark let some of the local kids go because he maintained the California pipeline. I'm sure Petersen plans to utilize the PACNW pipeline more than Sark did. That's great, but California will still be critical.

The great thing about Petersen is he's one of the best evaluators of talent at the NCAA level. His teams also play with a high level of precision and discipline. Low on the penalties. Gonna be a lot of fun to watch what he brings in and what the product will be on the field.

One thing I'm looking forward to is that Petersen likes to run the spread a lot more than Sark does and will be interesting to see what schemes he adds to our playbook.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of us were ever top football recruits so we really don't know what the process is like but I have to imagine it is more about the school than the coach.

What is your definition of being a "top recruit"?????::whistle:

Wasn't a "five star" ( I don't think they had ratings back when I played) but I did live it and it can be very very interesting.....

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure there are plenty of 2 star and 3 star players who end up kicking ass and go to the NFL.

But I"m also a big subscriber to the saying, "You can't win a horse race with a donkey" when it comes to this subject.

The PAC has moved to another level recently and the competition within the conference is got an arms race feel. Exciting times, but need to recruit lights out to get it done right now. Sark let some of the local kids go because he maintained the California pipeline. I'm sure Petersen plans to utilize the PACNW pipeline more than Sark did. That's great, but California will still be critical.

I agree to point about the California pipeline, but Coach James made sure he got the best in state talent and then got others out of Cali. I'm not gonna keep beating the " this is why I couldn't stand Sark" drum, but here is a very good, prime example as to why I get frustrated with Sark, Jack of UCLA. Prime, prime example, who gives a shit if a kid wants to play LB more then being a RB, last time I checked the Dawgs didn't have stellar depth at the LB position....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don Hill committed to USC today so there you go.

But at least the game is afoot with Petersen as well. Reported today that Washington has offered OLB/S Uchenna Nwosu (Harbor City, CA) whose currently committed to USC. His recruiter at UW is now officially listed as Keith Bhonapha.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reported that Washington has offered TE Drew Sample (Newport, WA) who had committed to BSU over the summer.

Expect things to quiet down with recruiting news till January when things will really crank up for Washington to build a class. The holiday break period were coaches cannot call or visit recruits is about to start. But there should be a few recruits who will be invited to the bowl game which is allowed.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go. Petersen and crew land their first commit. :suds:

CB / S Darren Gardenhire, Ht. 6'1" - Wt. 200(Lakewood, CA). Previously a commit to WSU has announced he's decommitted from the Cougs and has committed to UW.

--“Man, Washington has always been my dream school,” Gardenhire said. “When Coach Petersen left Boise State to take the job at Washington, I was hoping I would get an offer. He called me this morning and told me he was offering and I was so excited about it.

“My whole family has always been big Husky fans. I have a lot of cousins who go to school there including Dwayne Washington. I’ve already visited the school twice and camped with them in the summer. I stayed on campus with Dwayne and just love the place. There was no doubt I was going to commit but I had to do it right so I called Washington State and de-committed first.

“They actually took it really well and understood. Then I needed to talk it over with my family first but like I said, they’re all big UW fans so that was easy. Then I called up Coach Petersen again and told him I was ready to commit. It’s an awesome feeling right now and I have no doubt this is the best thing for my future.”

Gardenhire can play anywhere in the secondary and is a dangerous return man as well. He had a strong spring playing for the Snoop Dogg All-Stars and then exploded as a senior.

"I can play safety or corner, they didn't really specify for me," Gardenhire said. "I just want to play and help the team. Whatever gets me on the field fastest, that's what I want to do. This is an incredible day for me. I really had no idea when I woke up this all would happen but like I said, this is my future we're talking about and Washington is just the best all around fit in every way and I can't wait to get there."

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boom. It's a 2fer WOOF-WOOF for monday!!

QB Jalen Greene committed to Washington this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/JG3_Era/statuses/412732007374802944

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 commit for Petersen and UW!

As many were speculating, S Joseph (JoJo) McIntosh (West Hills, CA), who had been committed to UCLA since the summer, reopened things the past week, and committed to Washington today. UCLA has a bit of a logjam at DB with last years and now this years class which obviously influenced this. That's fine. Glad we could take advantage of this. Great get for the Dawgs.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SDE Jacob Tuioti-Mariner (Bellflower, CA) has been offered by Washington today. He had been offered by Boise St. so Petersen obviously had him on the radar. He has yet to officially commit to any school. UCLA is considered the lean right now, but he's also been offered by Arizona and Wisconsin.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as of this morning Dawgman/Scouts .com has the commit's up to 8 players:

OG 4star Natrell Curtis
S 3 star Drew Lewis
S 3 star JoJo McIntosh
QB 3 star Jalene Greene
S 3 star Darrin Gardenhire
OT 3 star Matt James
S 3 star Lavon Washington
TE 3 star Chase Blakley

I like the big OL guys, intresting on the 3 safety's though, Im sure RB or Wide Out could come into play...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darrin Gardenhire could end up at the CB position.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as of this morning Dawgman/Scouts .com has the commit's up to 8 players:

OG 4star Natrell Curtis
S 3 star Drew Lewis
S 3 star JoJo McIntosh
QB 3 star Jalene Greene
S 3 star Darrin Gardenhire
OT 3 star Matt James
S 3 star Lavon Washington
TE 3 star Chase Blakley

I like the big OL guys, intresting on the 3 safety's though, Im sure RB or Wide Out could come into play...

It's nice that it appears Sark finished taking who he wanted and the bleeding stopped. Nice to see those 3 commits start moving us forward again. It's a positive to see Curtis hasn't decommitted yet, but as a blessing, USC won't have any room for him with the limited class. Both Zona schools are are hitting their scholy max which helps as well. Hope he sticks with UW to LOI.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice that it appears Sark finished taking who he wanted and the bleeding stopped. Nice to see those 3 commits start moving us forward again. It's a positive to see Curtis hasn't decommitted yet, but as a blessing, USC won't have any room for him with the limited class. Both Zona schools are are hitting their scholy max which helps as well. Hope he sticks with UW to LOI.

Regent I said it earlier in another thread, but I would rather he take the kids he recruits for the simple fact I don't trust there heart. I know that sounds harsh, but I want to see kids that come through this program cause they believe in the program and want to win. I have been a big whiner about Price and that kid IMO is the biggest poster child for a Sark recruit, its time to bring this program back into the players with "heart".

Curtis, I love this kid, he's an animal, and to be honest when Sark left I wasn't worried Curtis would back out, he wants to go play somewhere he's out of his element, and I knew he wouldn't back out...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]413386475363782656[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Still think he is rock solid? If Tosh goes down expect other recruits to decommit. This could be the death nail of the recruiting class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tosh should be shit canned right now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they fire Tosh is Curtis gone? Is he going to go anyway with his recruiter under investigation? Is this the straw that breaks his back? What a mess. Thanks Tosh.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they fire Tosh is Curtis gone? Is he going to go anyway with his recruiter under investigation? Is this the straw that breaks his back? What a mess. Thanks Tosh.

Everyone one of us at one time or another have posted on here saying " they pick the school, not the coaches"...

Tosh is a DL coach, not an OL coach, so major lose there, I think the kid stays his ground, Sark and company are gone, there isn't gonna be a severe slap by the NC2A, see Oregon for my example....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Tosh was one of the ones that heavily recruited him, but I may be wrong. But it is more about having a negative light on us this late in the recruiting cycle when the class is already thin and we have all this turnover on the staff. It is a lot to process and accept for these kids.