• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

trades... cause I'm bored

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sensing some sarcasm here. I personally think Streit more than replaces Carle.
If they kept Matt Carle, they wouldn't have had to overpay for Mark Streit + they would have been able to trade one of the overpaid d-men so that one of the younger d-men could have a chance, or they could have traded one of those d-men so that they could get a much better d-man in another deal

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Carle makes more than Streit

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Mark Streit as a long term solution. Biggest problem with the Flyers is that their most skilled dmen are either too young or too old.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Mark Streit as a long term solution. Biggest problem with the Flyers is that their most skilled dmen are either too young or too old.
I don't mind the too young part, I'd rather that any day than them being too old - the real problem is the lack of foot speed and mobility/puck moving, you can be 35-36 years old but still be able to move the puck well and be mobile - guys like Braydon Coburn, Andrej Meszaros and Nicklas Grossmann aren't even that old, they just suck at this point

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest - we would have stormed the Wells Fargo Center with torches and pitchforks if Holmgren had signed Carle for $5.5/yr at that point.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest - we would have stormed the Wells Fargo Center with torches and pitchforks if Holmgren had signed Carle for $5.5/yr at that point.
I wouldn't - I don't like Homer at this point but it would have been much better than absolutely doing nothing last offseason and putting the team in the shitty situation they're in now

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't - I don't like Homer at this point but it would have been much better than absolutely doing nothing last offseason and putting the team in the shitty situation they're in now

The Carle signing was in 2012, and at the time the vast majority of fans were glad to see him go at the price he got. Also, it was anything but a "do nothing offseason". We amnestied Briere and Bryzgalov, and signed LeCavalier, Streit and Emery. That's a significant shake-up. The problem is that they weren't the solution to this team's needs. They were bad moves, or at least not the right moves, not no moves. Holmgren is trying his best to win a Cup. It's also apparent he's not capable of doing so as GM.

Anyway, as much as I dislike Holmgren, and have for several seasons, I'm just pointing out that it's not fair to judge him on letting Carle go when most fans agreed with the decision. 20/20 hindsight we were probably wrong.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Carle signing was in 2012, and at the time the vast majority of fans were glad to see him go at the price he got. Also, it was anything but a "do nothing offseason". We amnestied Briere and Bryzgalov, and signed LeCavalier, Streit and Emery. That's a significant shake-up. The problem is that they weren't the solution to this team's needs. They were bad moves, or at least not the right moves, not no moves. Holmgren is trying his best to win a Cup. It's also apparent he's not capable of doing so as GM.

Anyway, as much as I dislike Holmgren, and have for several seasons, I'm just pointing out that it's not fair to judge him on letting Carle go when most fans agreed with the decision. 20/20 hindsight we were probably wrong.

i dunno if it was the bad move, i always thought he was overrated. the whole thing is about the disconnect between the coach at the time and the GM. being that holmgren kept signing big stay at home dmen when lavy obviously needed 5-6 matt carle type dmen to play how he wants to play.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last offseason I meant was 2012 but yeah I agree mostly

What I'm saying is, I didn't agree with them letting Matt Carle go at the time and many complained and now they're getting what they deserve

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last offseason I meant was 2012 but yeah I agree mostly

What I'm saying is, I didn't agree with them letting Matt Carle go at the time and many complained and now they're getting what they deserve

Gotcha. Fair enough.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he's much younger and you're getting his prime years, unlike Mark Streit

True, but Streit is also better than Carle. I'd consider both mediocre defensively, but at least Streit is a legitimate offensive threat

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but Streit is also better than Carle. I'd consider both mediocre defensively, but at least Streit is a legitimate offensive threat

Yes. Streit puts up much better offensive numbers and you could argue that he's done it while on much worse teams too. Also, Carle may be 6 years younger than Streit, but he actually has slightly more Nhl miles on him. While Streit is going to be slower by definition, he's also going to (in the long run) give us far more goals, assists, points and shots, especially on the power play.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* The Adirondack Phantoms are off to a 1-3-0-2 start to the 2013-14 season. To the dismay of defensive-minded head coach Terry Murray, the team's biggest issue right now is that the club (which features a young blueline corps) has yielded an AHL-worst 24 goals.

just going back to a discussion we had earlier.. lauridsen, konan, alt, manning et al are not ready to play for the flyers. as much as we'd like them to be.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just going back to a discussion we had earlier.. lauridsen, konan, alt, manning et al are not ready to play for the flyers. as much as we'd like them to be.
It can't be all the defense - they haven't had competent goalies with the Phantoms for years now - Cal Heeter is awful and Yann Danis is a journeyman - I'd take some of what the defense is/isn't doing with a grain of salt