• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Partner

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mags
You clearly just want to interject for the sake of it... But even with your posts you have made my case for me... Thank you mags

I don't "interject for the sake of it." Unlike you, I try to add value with my posts. You posted an incorrect statement ("Hanrahan makes almost nothing"). I posted a correction ("$4.1 million is clearly more than almost nothing"). I will leave it up to anyone reading this thread to decide which statement should stand.

By the way, the AVERAGE closer salary in the National League in 2012 will be $4.8 million.

- That number is driven up by the three highest paid guys: Papelbon at $11 mill, Wilson at $8.5 mill, and Madson at $8.5 mill.

- It's also brought down by Storen, Kimbrel, Axford, and Guerra, all of whom will be paid near the minimum (around $0.5 million) due to their low seniority.

I submit that a claim that Hanrahan makes "almost nothing" doesn't work when compared against the league average for closers...... OR the highest paid closers. $4.1 million is clearly more than "almost nothing" in ANY context. You can't spin it into being a correct statement.

Clearly, one of the biggest factors which plays into a closer's salary is how long he has been a successful closer. Without trying to define a "top closer," I submit that Drew Storen, Craig Kimbrel, John Axford, and Javy Guerra ALL had pretty successful seasons.

I could go quote and # posts.. but that is childish... Anyone who can read can go back and look if they want to.

BTW tell your wife I said hello, I think I left my watch on your nightstand.

Call me "childish" all you want for providing references in my posts. I believe references make it easier for the reader..... and I believe in facts (both of which you obviously don't).

Further, I submit that your last sentence above DEFINES "childish" (or worse), but is typical of what I've see from you in the past on other boards. If you think that kind of crap will win arguments or endear you to board regulars here, you are sadly mistaken.

I am finished responding about this..... so if you wish to continue to claim that $4.1 million is "almost nothing" or continue to push a trade involving Hanrahan and Profar (already soundly rejected by several visitors from the Texas board, as well as highly-respected regulars here)..... help yourself.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also..

You cherry pick... Looking at NL closers is not good enough because the Pirates will not only look at NL teams to trade Hanrahan.... And in this thread the hypothetical came up discussing how likely it might be to trade him to The Rangers an American league team...

What was the American League salary for a closer again.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now I remember why I stopped paying attention to what etrius said at the old boards. He never really said anything. And definitely nothing of value. Please for the sake of all that is good in the world let this thread die. Hanrahan isn't getting traded anytime soon, and he is never getting traded for Profar.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow...

Nobody knows for sure when or where Hanrahan will be traded... and you are right it likely will not be Profar coming back to the bucs... I commented that Hanrahan's low salary added to his value to a contending team... and that is where we got all of this.... I certainly did not start this.. but when every post I make is magnatized..We are going to get this crap...

If you want to talk about Value... Why not look into Mags obsessive need to turn every comment I make into this sort of thing!

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also..

You cherry pick... Looking at NL closers is not good enough because the Pirates will not only look at NL teams to trade Hanrahan.... And in this thread the hypothetical came up discussing how likely it might be to trade him to The Rangers an American league team...

What was the American League salary for a closer again.

Have you seen what our closer the last two years makes? I'd say he is a pretty good guy (WS withstanding). So for Texas it would come down to this: We have a good closer on the roster and simply "want" to move him out, we just signed a closer that we are paying $7M this year, you want our top prospect for your closer, and that closer will cost another $4M and give us two (but in reality three) closers.

I know you were talking about all AL closers, but in the scope of Texas Hanrahan does make more than his worth at this time. Feliz does well in the rotation and Nathan doesn't pan out...then the cost may be worth it.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fordman,

Texas was a hypothetical... We ran with it... It does not HAVE to be Texas.. Every season a couple of teams that spend money and try to compete have a meltdown in their bullpen... Be it with injury or someone not performing as expected. There is a market for proven closers... If that closer is inexpensive their value goes up.

Texas may or may not need a bullpen arm... But someone will and they will not blink an eye at Hanrahan's salary... The Pirates will get a damned good prospect...not some throw in low level guy