• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Partner

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looking over potential trade partners with chips the Pirates have, here is a thought:

Joel Hanrahan to Rangers for

1. Jurickson Profar SS (ranked their second best prospect)
Born: 2-20-1993
Highest Level Reached: Low-A Hickory Crawdads
2011 Combined Stats: .286, 37(2B), 8(3B), 12HR, 65RBI, 23SB

plus 2. Michael Young (becomes starting 1B for Pirates or 3B depending on Pedro). Last I heard, he will not be a starter for the Rangers.

This works for both teams as the Rangers have depth in young ss including their starter Elvis Andrus along with their #7 prospect - Rougned Odor SS

Also, the Rangers are a legitimate contender and cannot rely on going into the season with 37 year old Joe Nathan and his 4.84 ERA (last year) closing games out.

The Pirates can move Meek to closer. I really would like to trade Hanrahan this off season as he is quite possibly at his highest value right now for a trading chip and a closer can't factore into too many contests when his team often trails going into the 8th/9th.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking over potential trade partners with chips the Pirates have, here is a thought:

plus 2. Michael Young (becomes starting 1B for Pirates or 3B depending on Pedro). Last I heard, he will not be a starter for the Rangers.

This works for both teams as the Rangers have depth in young ss including their starter Elvis Andrus along with their #7 prospect - Rougned Odor SS

Also, the Rangers are a legitimate contender and cannot rely on going into the season with 37 year old Joe Nathan and his 4.84 ERA (last year) closing games out.

The Pirates can move Meek to closer. I really would like to trade Hanrahan this off season as he is quite possibly at his highest value right now for a trading chip and a closer can't factore into too many contests when his team often trails going into the 8th/9th.

That is way too steep for a reliever. First, I get the feeling that Profar is off limits in trade talks unless we're talking about a bonafide ace. Either Kinsler or Andrus (who's agent is Boras btw) could leave at FA and Profar gives them the depth to let one walk if needed or strengthen their negotiations.

Second, Texas currently has no utility IF and Young was so valuable in that position last year. Especially when Beltre and Blanco went down.

Third, IMO the Texas FO would not have given Nathan the contract they did (and the closers role) if they did not have full faith in him. Especially with so many other top closer candidates on the market (Madson, Papelbon, Cordero). He was coming back from tommy John surgery last year and his numbers at the end of the year were a drastic improvement from the beginning. The Texas FO is well known for their ability to scout and evaluate. I'm sure Nathan is no different.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any way the Rangers give up so much for a reliever. I agree with Romeo that Profar is essentially off limits.

As for Young, meh, he's alright, but old and as a first basemen his bat is below average.

Hanrahan might be at his highest value, but the market for relief aces is terrible, I doubt there is any value out there in trading him now.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got to be kidding me. One of the top SS prospects in all of baseball? Michael Young?? No chance.

Heck the Padres got Houston Street for free. The Rockies even gave them 1 million to take him off their hands. All Colorado got was a pitching prospect who has no shot at the Big Leagues. LOL

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:doh:

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the Pirates would be better off saying no to Young... He will be of no use to this team when it is hoping to be competitive in 2013 and 2014...

Profar is a excellent prospect... The Pirates would likely have to give up a decent prospect of their own and Hanrahan to have any chance at Profar.

Because Profar is a couple years away from the majors I think there is a chance you could get him in a trade... but the Rangers are not going to give him away... It would take Hanrahan and a really decent prospect...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love venturing onto other teams boards and reading trade proposals with my team. This one would never happen in a million years though. First, Profar is pretty much off limits unless we are talking a no doubt Ace like King Felix in SEA. Second, I'm sure PIT would want Texas to pick up a good chunk of Young's salary, and as others have said his role on the team was crucial last year. I doubt our FO would pay to get rid of Young at this point. Lastly, now is not the time to be shopping a closer anyways. The ones that were out there for just a contract can't even get what they want. PIT would be best off holding Hanrahan until the deadline and then shopping him.

So, I liked reading the proposal but I don't think this trade actually works for either team right now.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The one thing I think is in favour of the Pirates is the fact that Hanrahan makes almost nothing... Other top closers make a lot more money... So that has to help the Pirates position of getting maximum value for Hanrahan going forward.

I do not think it will be long into the season before people start calling the Pirates about Hanrahan.. Every year a couple of top established closers get hurt on teams that spend a lot of money trying to win annually.... When this happens one of those teams will be calling the Pirates.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And I think the Texas trade is something that could happen if you simplified it... Forget about Young... and Make it about Hanrahan and a upper level prospect for Profar.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think the Texas trade is something that could happen if you simplified it... Forget about Young... and Make it about Hanrahan and a upper level prospect for Profar.

I wouldn't trade Hanrahan for Profar. I doubt Texas would either.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nonsense alert

While he is clearly cheaper than some closers, I submit that Hanrahan's salary of $4.1 million is also clearly more than "almost nothing," as so blithely claimed by Etrius.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would submit that we as Pirate fans remove the name Jurikson Profar from our minds. Barring a trade involving Andrew McCutchen we have no shot at acquiring him.

As for trading Hammer to Texas, they have signed Joe Nathan to be their closer. If and until he proves he is no longer capable of closing, and Hammer proves last year was the new norm, I see no reason for Texas to trade anything of value for him. I personally think Hammer will have more value at the trade deadline, so long as he is effective in the first half this year.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Profar has way too much value. This is a dead end.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Okay Mags

Go look at all the closers in the league.. look at closers that had better or equal numbers to hanrahan last year and see how he ranks according to salary for the 2012 season.

As an additional exercise look to see Where Hanrahan ranks in the majors salary wise for closers or potential closers...

I am interested to see your numbers.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Okay Mags

Go look at all the closers in the league.. look at closers that had better or equal numbers to hanrahan last year and see how he ranks according to salary for the 2012 season.

As an additional exercise look to see Where Hanrahan ranks in the majors salary wise for closers or potential closers...

I am interested to see your numbers.

I will save mags the time and effort, Hanrahan is the third highest salaried player on the Pirates. Go look and see how many other teams in major leahue baseball have a closer as their third highest paid player. You know who has that? Bad teams. I could care less how good he was last year, the team was bad and his 1 inning of work does little in the grand scheme of things to win a baseball game.

I am not trying to start an arguement, but paying a closer, and guy that pitches about 60 innings per year, 1/10 of your overall team payroll is just bad business. Next year, if he performs the same, should be about 2/5 of the Pirates payroll, again, the Pirates would be stupid to keep him at that price.

So in conclusion, IF the Pirates are in a position to make a playoff run, then by all means keep him, but if they are bad, which is likely, then he has to be traded before the deadline. Either way, he will be gone before spring training 2013.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

This has nothing to do with where Hanrahan Ranks on the Pirates payroll... The thread was about trading Hanrahan to ANOTHER TEAM... and he only makes 4.1 million which is not much over the league average salary...

Without looking at what all the other closers make I will stand by my statement confidently that Hanrahan makes relative Peanuts... And any team that expects to compete and needs a closer will not scoff at the price of Hanrahan's salary.. In fact it adds to his trade value because he does not have a ridiculous contract...One where he makes 8 or 10 million dollars per season for the next 4 or 5 years.

If I was advocating for adding Hanrahan in a trade from another team and We were looking at his 4.1 million dollar salary... It would be a different argument. For a team like Texas or Boston 4.1 million is nothing to pay a closer...

And as for your argument about bad teams and teams that have their closer as one of their highest player... Well I never said the Pirates are a good team... and Furthermore any team in the league that has their third highest paid player making 4.1 million is not going to be very good....It will not matter what position that player plays...

So I am not necessarily disagreeing with what you are saying about the Pirates payroll... but that is not exactly what Mags and I were arguing about..

Thanks for the input though! (O;

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Etrius,

Thecrow124's post #16 was relevant to the discussion AND dead on, in my opinion. In your reply to thecrow124 (your post #17), you stated that you and I were arguing. That is inaccurate.

There was no argument. You posted a statement which was clearly wrong, even in the context of MLB salaries. I posted a correction. (See the exchange below.) Had you posted instead that Hanrahan's salary was "not much over the league average salary" (as you did in your post #17) I would not have commented. "Over the league average salary" is clearly and substantively different from "almost nothing." Here are the relevant quotes, with the key words underlined.

From your post #8: "The one thing I think is in favour of the Pirates is the fact that Hanrahan makes almost nothing... Other top closers make a lot more money..."

From my post #11: "While he is clearly cheaper than some closers, I submit that Hanrahan's salary of $4.1 million is also clearly more than 'almost nothing'..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mags

you are making my arguments for me....What I said is true..Hanrahan makes nothing compared to the top closers in the league...

I welcome the contribution of crow... but I again will stand by what I said... and once again state that the fact that the Pirates are cheap... that their third highest player only makes 4.1 million... is not what you and I were arguing about.

I have no problem discussing the entire pirates roster or payroll... But that was not what we were talking about specifically... It is right there... I could go quote and # posts.. but that is childish... Anyone who can read can go back and look if they want to.

The fact that what Crow said being truthful does not change what I said... I mostly agree with what he said... in terms of the pirates being pathetic for having Hanrahan as one of their most expensive players.... That still does not change the fact that Hanrahan makes almost nothing in comparison to the other top closers in the league..

You clearly just want to interject for the sake of it... But even with your posts you have made my case for me... Thank you mags

BTW tell your wife I said hello, I think I left my watch on your nightstand.