• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline Is Today-October 29

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Gents. Today is the trade deadline in the NFL and there are a couple of players worth a potential trade with the Rams. I am not sure if the Rams are even considering any trades but here is a couple that may be worth a trade-maybe.

Jarius Byrd-Safety, Buffalo. According to NFL Network, Buffalo has made it known that they are open for trade offers for Jarius Byrd. Buffalo wants a player in return and not a draft pick. Byrd would be a great pick-up and the type of Safety we are all looking for because he is a tough Fisher-kind-of-guy and he hits people. With Finnegan moving into the Saftey spot, I am not sure this would cause any problems and we have to make some cap room to sign Byrd. If I were the Rams, I'd send them two or three players such as Saffold, Quick, Pead, and even Giordano. Pead has been acknowledged as the player mostly likely to be cut. A complete bust. So this may be doable.

Tony Gonzalez-TE, Atlanta. Tony has made it known he would accept a trade as the Falcons are off to a 3-5 start but I don't think he would want to come to another 3-5 team and the Falcons have stated they will not accommodate him. So this one may be dead in the water before it even gets going. We have plenty of TEs but we need a blocking and catching TE and Tony fits those criteria but he is getting up in years. I say this one is probably not going to happen.

Right now, that is the only two worth any weight. They have about 5 hours to get anything done. I doubt if the Rams are doing anything but you never know.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having no cap space is a killer. Rams would have to give up similar salary to get Byrd (making $6,916,000 this year). Bills are similarly loaded with young WRs (to the point that they cut Da'Rick Rogers in the preseason). I doubt they want to pick up a rental in Saffold either.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't make any moves. It is what it is in St. Louis. We may beat Tennessee and Tampa Bay and that's it this season. 5-11 is what I predicted during the preseason. Another disappointing campaigne. Man this is getting old, eh?

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think T Gone ultimately ends up in KC for one last playoff run and I think MJD ends up in Dallas and so does Jared Allen.... other than that, I do not see much going on...maybe Byrd gets dealt.

Question... but I think I know the answer..... we are all talking about Ha-Ha Clinton Dix with one of the 1st rounders in May. Is Byrd better than Dix? Would you send a 1st to Buffalo for Byrd? I, for one, would not.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ksu - good trade speculation. Buffalo says it wants a player and not a pick for Byrd.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly RamCub! We could send them Pead and Giordano, but they probably want one of our interior D-line. Give them Langsford if that is the case straight up for Byrd.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly RamCub! We could send them Pead and Giordano, but they probably want one of our interior D-line. Give them Langsford if that is the case straight up for Byrd.

You're ignoring the cap space issue altogether. Byrd makes $7M.

Bills have an excellent D-line (in fact, Bruce Smith recently called it the team's best ever) . They need OLBs, CBs, safeties, and an OG. Nobody wants Giordano. They might have interest in Pead as a reserve (due to their RB injuries), but he makes less than $1M, so he's not going to make much of a dent in that salary disparity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Shopson, when you send a player in a trade, his contract salary comes off the cap unless there is guaranteed money and that is how we get the cap space. You keep stating that aspect has been ignored but I guess it has to be explained to you because when you trade two players, hopefully there combined contract salaries will equal what Byrd demands or the trade is contingent on re-working some of Byrd's contract to make up any descrepancies that may arise. Now do you understand?

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retro - shopson - In regards to the cap space, send them Cook and Pead in return for Byrd and a draft pick. Otherwise, it's time to restructure Bradford and Langsford.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, we can send them Pead and Saffold... that should about do it

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ksu - I'm all for that too!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously...we could honestly make that work. Give Byrd the promise that either Sam restructures or is off the books in the off season and same for Finnegan in return for restructuring the remainder of his 2013 deal. Can they do like in baseball.. like can we send them Giordano as well if they eat the remainder of Byrd's contract this year?

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we see a single move out of Rams Park. What would be the point? As others have mentioned before, we lack the cap room to sign anyone of impact. Without Bradford, there really isn't anybody out there that's going to help the team progress. And with the direction the season has taken, we're not going to bring someone on for the sake of bringing them on.

This team is in full-on developmental mode. The rest of 2013 will be an extended 9 game preseason for 2014, developing the talent already in place. Whatever additions we make will be via the draft, next year.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly why you bring a Byrd in and pair him with McDonald when he returns in a couple of weeks in the Safety spot. Gel your team for 2014. You bring Finnegan in on the nickel and you re-structure his deal at the end of the season. You send them Pead for sure and Langford who is a FA at the end of this season anyways. Cujo is playing great enough and so is Conrath to fill Langford's spot. A two for one and Buffalo gets two players. Langford is expendible for reasons already mentioned and Pead is going to get cut ultimately unless he can be traded for a 7th in the offseason. The dude (Pead) is a total bust.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Shopson, when you send a player in a trade, his contract salary comes off the cap unless there is guaranteed money and that is how we get the cap space. You keep stating that aspect has been ignored but I guess it has to be explained to you because when you trade two players, hopefully there combined contract salaries will equal what Byrd demands or the trade is contingent on re-working some of Byrd's contract to make up any descrepancies that may arise. Now do you understand?

I'm not the one that doesn't understand. Rams have no cap room. Byrd makes nearly $7M. Here's the Rams' salaries: St. Louis Rams Salary Caps by Year

Guys suggested to trade for Byrd:

Pead: $884,012
Saffold: $1,460,000
Cook: $4,000,000
Langford: $6M

Cook and Saffold comes close salary-wise, but is about $1.5M short. Plus you would have to sell the Bills on taking Cook's contract, which escalates after this season to $7-8M per year, not to mention a rental player in Saffold. Langford would be useful if the Bills had any use for him, but they don't. They already have Dareus and Kyle Williams playing in the middle.

BTW, it doesn't work like baseball where the Bills can eat some of the salary either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we couldn't throw in Finnegan? Isn't his salary somewhere up in the 7 mil range?? If so, would that even work or not?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Bradford on IR we have cap space. Even so I can't see any reason to trade for Byrd. Why waste the cap space and give up anything for a player who's 'being forced to play' with the franchise tag? He'll be gone in the off-season unless we tag him at 120% or offer him a big money long-term deal. Why would we do that with a player who's been hampered by nagging injuries for 2 years?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pead and a 6th rounder for Mikel Leshoure please. Giftwrap this turd and get my homeboy at 6' 230. Sure he likes weed but he's a beast around the goal line.