• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline approaches

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
basketball IQ

All this talk about acquiring a player or two for the rest of the season is pretty much wasted because the Dubs' problem isn't talent, it's how they play the game.

Any team that lives or dies by the threes is going to have a rough time in the playoffs because it's too difficult to win consistently that way. It's awesome to watch the Dubs when Curry and Thompson are hot, but too often one or the other is not, which results in lots of missed shots and lost possessions.

Another problem is poor decision making. How can any team expect to go far into the playoffs when Curry, Thompson, and Barnes give up the ball so much? Sometimes it's absolutely painful to watch them, especially in close games where a few untimely mistakes can cost you a win.

And while Iguodala has made a notable contribution this year, he makes some of the most boneheaded plays I've ever witnessed from a veteran. I cringe when he tries to force his way to the rim in one of his trademark out-of-control drives. When the Dubs signed him, a Philly fan said he'd had enough of that kind of play when Iggy was with the Sixers and predicted that Warrior fans would tire of it before long. I think he may have been right.

So acquiring one player, no matter who he might be, isn't going to make much difference on this team. All the problems will still be there, and the Dubs still might not make the playoffs. And if they do, I can't see them going very far. They can scare the Hell out of better teams and even win an early playoff series (like they did last year), but when it comes to crunch time the team that plays smarter usually wins.

Which brings up this question: Can you coach basketball intelligence, or are some players just instinctively more savvy than others? If you answer yes to the latter, perhaps the Dubs need to focus on building a smarter team, such as San Antonio has done. And if that's the case, would Jackson be the right man to lead it?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk about acquiring a player or two for the rest of the season is pretty much wasted because the Dubs' problem isn't talent, it's how they play the game.

Any team that lives or dies by the threes is going to have a rough time in the playoffs because it's too difficult to win consistently that way. It's awesome to watch the Dubs when Curry and Thompson are hot, but too often one or the other is not, which results in lots of missed shots and lost possessions.

Another problem is poor decision making. How can any team expect to go far into the playoffs when Curry, Thompson, and Barnes give up the ball so much? Sometimes it's absolutely painful to watch them, especially in close games where a few untimely mistakes can cost you a win.

And while Iguodala has made a notable contribution this year, he makes some of the most boneheaded plays I've ever witnessed from a veteran. I cringe when he tries to force his way to the rim in one of his trademark out-of-control drives. When the Dubs signed him, a Philly fan said he'd had enough of that kind of play when Iggy was with the Sixers and predicted that Warrior fans would tire of it before long. I think he may have been right.

So acquiring one player, no matter who he might be, isn't going to make much difference on this team. All the problems will still be there, and the Dubs still might not make the playoffs. And if they do, I can't see them going very far. They can scare the Hell out of better teams and even win an early playoff series (like they did last year), but when it comes to crunch time the team that plays smarter usually wins.

Which brings up this question: Can you coach basketball intelligence, or are some players just instinctively more savvy than others? If you answer yes to the latter, perhaps the Dubs need to focus on building a smarter team, such as San Antonio has done. And if that's the case, would Jackson be the right man to lead it?

I think much of the way the Warriors play is based much more upon personnel than just sheer desire to shoot the 3. The Warriors, outside of maybe David Lee, don't have anyone that can go inside and work in the post. The Warriors do have an abundance of outside shooting. I think that drives them to play a game suited towards their strengths rather than just force feed the paint with no viable options.

I really think that's why the Warriors are making the push they are to acquire other players because of their desire to be a more rounded team. Lets just say from a hypothetical stand point that they had Zach Randolph instead of David Lee. If they were still just firing away from deep time after time, then that would be a problem. As is, they don't have a post presence. I do agree with the sentiment that a jump shooting team is always dangerous but never consistent. What I think the Warriors are looking for in trades is some one who can contribute, consistently, to help off set some of the deficiencies.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where are you getting this from that the warriors are tired of iguodala??? He's far from the problem. Him and bogut has taken this defense to another level. Right now I wouldn't trade curry bogut and iguodala

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say Dubs' management or players are tired of Iguodala. What I meant is that some fans might be tired of his carelessness on offense. I know he's been a solid defensive player, and he's hit a few big baskets in crunch time, but it would be nice if he exercised better judgment when he has the ball. The team already has too many players (starters and bench) who make ill-advised decisions that cost the team in close games.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say Dubs' management or players are tired of Iguodala. What I meant is that some fans might be tired of his carelessness on offense. I know he's been a solid defensive player, and he's hit a few big baskets in crunch time, but it would be nice if he exercised better judgment when he has the ball. The team already has too many players (starters and bench) who make ill-advised decisions that cost the team in close games.

He's been way better than solid on defense

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another deal (it's trade machine day).

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Bobcats trade conditional 1st RD pick to Pistons.

Warriors get Monroe, Stuckey & Zeller
Bobcats get David Lee & Chauncey Billups. Billups helps to provide some veteran leadership to Kemba Walker when they get into playoffs.
Pistons get Harrison Barnes, 1st RD Pick, & 13M expiring. They get assets back for two guys who are leaving in the off season.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw on twitter that cavs and warriors are close to a deal for a Barnes and jack swap. I said BS!! No way. Then zach Lowe said that report is false so sigh of relief

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw on twitter that cavs and warriors are close to a deal for a Barnes and jack swap. I said BS!! No way. Then zach Lowe said that report is false so sigh of relief

If Bob Myers wouldn't give Jack the contract he got with the Cavs, no way he trades Barnes for Jack now. I think we all need to give him the benefit of the doubt. Dudes been a genius so far with all the moves he's made (minus Speights).

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bob Myers wouldn't give Jack the contract he got with the Cavs, no way he trades Barnes for Jack now. I think we all need to give him the benefit of the doubt. Dudes been a genius so far with all the moves he's made (minus Speights).

Honestly we need to get rid of ace of speights

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm willing to give him a pass on that one due to the other available options in his price range. I wish it could have been a one-year deal, but then, he probably would have gone elsewhere. Either way, yeah, he isn't an adequate 8th or 9th guy on a potential Conference Finals squad. In Myers' defense, I thought he could fill that role, too, but it turns out they really do need someone with Carl Landry's skill set off the bench. I knew Speights wouldn't be a bull down low, but I thought his 15-foot jumper (in retrospect: Uggggh) and a little extra effort for more minutes could balance out the loss of Landry. I was way off.

P.S. Great trade ideas, Sush. I like the Love one a little better than the Pistons' plan, but I could be swayed to Detroit because it would stash Barnes in the East. I don't know if the Motor City takes back Gordon, even as an expiring makeweight, but I could be wrong. Interesting possibilities, regardless. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woj reporting the Warriors are shopping Crawford now. Unless they get a 1st back for him or a solid backup 4, I'd rather keep him.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reports of any activity from the Warriors. Looks like after the Blake trade, they're standing pat.

Side note: Danny Granger got traded to the 76ers for Evan Turner. High probability Granger gets bought out. Hopefully the Warriors make a play for him for the veteran minimum. He'll have lots of options.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reports of any activity from the Warriors. Looks like after the Blake trade, they're standing pat.

Side note: Danny Granger got traded to the 76ers for Evan Turner. High probability Granger gets bought out. Hopefully the Warriors make a play for him for the veteran minimum. He'll have lots of options.

Would love granger. But can he play the 4?