• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on today's game (where are you crimson?)

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this is usually crimson's deal so hopefully he will give us his thoughts and insight when he gets a chance, but until then what are your thoughts over all?

The Bad:

Offensive line - Obviously the offensive line was very poor over all. I believe all 5 of our starters got beat at least once. When Anthony Davis gets beat, he gets beat bad. I'm not impressed with his play or the shape he was in tonight. Snyder really struggled under Center, even though he will likely be replaced by Goodwin by the start of the season.

The QB's -

Alex Smith - He got hit really hard on a couple of those plays. He still needs to get rid of the ball quicker, but he really had no chance with the way the Offensive line was playing. He didn't really have any shining moments, but at least he connected with Edwards before he was pulled.

Kaepernick - He made a couple of nice throws and scrambles tonight. He was able to avoid the edge rush by stepping up in the pocket and delivering a nice pass at one point (can't remember who it was to). Unfortunately he made some much expected rookie mistakes throwing 2 interceptions and also fumbled twice. Over all i thought he did some good things that i really didn't think he was capable of, but he's still got quite a ways to go.

Termaine Brock - He didn't look very good in coverage at all tonight IMO.

Anthony Dixon - He may as well wear Barlow's number. He continues to struggle with planting his feet and making the correct reads. All though he did improve as the game went on. Over all he had 7 carries for only 16 yards. He's got some work to do.

The Good:

Alex Boone - I have to start with him because he did a great job IMO. He looked great in pass blocking even with Greg Williams sending the blitzes all game long.

Dobbs - Where did this guy come from? He really made an impression tonight and looks to be in line to have a shot at making the team and possibly getting some situational playing time. He's a guy to keep an eye on.

Ahmad Brooks - There was one point that he made 3 nice tackles in a row. He looked good rushing the passer and fairly solid against the run as well.

Aldon Smith - He looked good tonight. He made a nice sack and had a couple of plays where he forced early throws by Daniel. He struggled at times, but over all he looked fresh.

Donte Whitner - He didn't get much playing time, but made an incredible read breaking up a pass by Drew Brees early in the game.

David Akers - Are you kidding me? He made a 59 yard FG to end the half that was probably the play of the game for us.

Kyle Williams - It was nice to see him get some playing time and made a couple of nice grabs for 34 yards to lead the 49ers in receiving.

Kendall Hunter - He looked the best out of the RB's tonight (besides Gore). He followed his blocking well and broke a nice 13 yard gain on one play. If he improves his pass blocking he should be considered for the number 2 back.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good stuff. One thing I'll add is that Grant Cohn said Kap's mistakes were the same ones he makes in practice, dealing with underneath coverage. Said its probably just a totally new thing to him, would have not seen it in college much at all.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
good summary. I'm really rooting for Boone to succeed because I do not have any faith that Davis is going to or can turn the corner.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys, those were just my thoughts. Not too detailed, but feel free to add to anything i missed/messed up.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another "bad" I would add would be Harbaugh's time out management. Not a big deal in the preseason but hopefully that isn't a trend that will carry over into the regular season.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another "bad" I would add would be Harbaugh's time out management. Not a big deal in the preseason but hopefully that isn't a trend that will carry over into the regular season.

I noticed a couple of the time outs were to save what would have been delay of game penalties when Kaepernick was struggling with clock management. I'm not sure if he was having a hard time relaying the plays called, or if they were coming in late, but either way you're right.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed a couple of the time outs were to save what would have been delay of game penalties when Kaepernick was struggling with clock management. I'm not sure if he was having a hard time relaying the plays called, or if they were coming in late, but either way you're right.

My bad there - I didn't notice that. That should hopefully get ironed out in due course.

By the way - what's the situation with the coordinators? Has there been any word about where they will be (sideline vs in the box)?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad there - I didn't notice that. That should hopefully get ironed out in due course.

By the way - what's the situation with the coordinators? Has there been any word about where they will be (sideline vs in the box)?

I'm not really sure. I haven't seen anything on that, but I'm sure they announced it at some point. I'm guessing they will be on the field, but i will see if i can find out.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
numone,

Dude, this is an outstanding summary! Nicely formatted, excellent details and real easy to read - Well done!!

I hope this is not the last summary you put together!

I Rep You!

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
numone,

Dude, this is an outstanding summary! Nicely formatted, excellent details and real easy to read - Well done!!

I hope this is not the last summary you put together!

I Rep You!

Thanks dude! I'm not really use to doing this sort of thing. Crimson really does a good job at putting together much more detailed reports, but i appreciate the gratitude.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Lol I actually think Im going to close my eyes and put my hands over my ears til the season starts. I couldnt get the game here and the few articles and posts ive read about it cause concern..though I should have expected it considering the lockout/new coaching staff/new faces on the team. Just gonna wait it out and not get my hopes up too much.

I took a hell of a ribbing earlier from one of my friends in Louisiana who's a saints fan. I told her to wait til the saints had to actually play in sub-60 degree weather with a bit of wind and theyd be brought back down to earth ha..:fish:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Won't get a chance to watch it till the NFL Network replay but from the sounds of it they still have a lot of work to do installing the offense.

I've always had the mantra of the 3rd preseason game is the one to watch as that's the closet to a game as the preseason gets with the 1st and 4th preseason game being the most useless to watch. Also Harbaugh has hinted in the past couple of days with some his comments that we weren't really at a stage to play a game yet so the outcome isn't surprising on has me worried.

Also another reason I'm not worried is it seems the Saints went a bit bush league and dialed up a lot of different blitzes which we probably hadn't even really gotten deep in to blitz pickup so far in training camp. Also in an actual regular season game we would game plan for blitzs so there is no way they would've had that much success in a regular season game.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't get a chance to watch it till the NFL Network replay but from the sounds of it they still have a lot of work to do installing the offense.

I've always had the mantra of the 3rd preseason game is the one to watch as that's the closet to a game as the preseason gets with the 1st and 4th preseason game being the most useless to watch. Also Harbaugh has hinted in the past couple of days with some his comments that we weren't really at a stage to play a game yet so the outcome isn't surprising on has me worried.

Also another reason I'm not worried is it seems the Saints went a bit bush league and dialed up a lot of different blitzes which we probably hadn't even really gotten deep in to blitz pickup so far in training camp. Also in an actual regular season game we would game plan for blitzs so there is no way they would've had that much success in a regular season game.

I agree with this. I guess you can't fault the Saints for running their defense, but I would be pretty ticked off if I was a higher up for the 49ers organization. They landed some hard hits on our QB's in a freaking exhibition match. We easily could've lost one of them tonight before the season even started.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. I guess you can't fault the Saints for running their defense, but I would be pretty ticked off if I was a higher up for the 49ers organization. They landed some hard hits on our QB's in a freaking exhibition match. We easily could've lost one of them tonight before the season even started.

Not saying that I would have predicted it nor am I saying that they are dirty, but since the way they pounded Favre (which was called into question by some as dirty or at least unnecessary) in the NFC championship two years ago, I wasn't surprised they blitzed fully to start and hit hard. While I don't think they intentionally injure anyone, I don't think they care if they do. I don't take it personally as a fan of the Niners because it was no harm no foul to us and it doesn't seem prevalent around the league (injuries caused by the Saints).

5xdope

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lol I actually think Im going to close my eyes and put my hands over my ears til the season starts. I couldnt get the game here and the few articles and posts ive read about it cause concern..though I should have expected it considering the lockout/new coaching staff/new faces on the team. Just gonna wait it out and not get my hopes up too much.

I couldn't see the game either just watch sportscenter. Hoping that by the time the regular season kicks off there will be some improvements made.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, this is usually crimson's deal so hopefully he will give us his thoughts and insight when he gets a chance, but until then what are your thoughts over all?

The Bad:

Offensive line - Obviously the offensive line was very poor over all. I believe all 5 of our starters got beat at least once. When Anthony Davis gets beat, he gets beat bad. I'm not impressed with his play or the shape he was in tonight. Snyder really struggled under Center, even though he will likely be replaced by Goodwin by the start of the season.

The QB's -

Alex Smith - He got hit really hard on a couple of those plays. He still needs to get rid of the ball quicker, but he really had no chance with the way the Offensive line was playing. He didn't really have any shining moments, but at least he connected with Edwards before he was pulled.

Kaepernick - He made a couple of nice throws and scrambles tonight. He was able to avoid the edge rush by stepping up in the pocket and delivering a nice pass at one point (can't remember who it was to). Unfortunately he made some much expected rookie mistakes throwing 2 interceptions and also fumbled twice. Over all i thought he did some good things that i really didn't think he was capable of, but he's still got quite a ways to go.

Termaine Brock - He didn't look very good in coverage at all tonight IMO.

Anthony Dixon - He may as well wear Barlow's number. He continues to struggle with planting his feet and making the correct reads. All though he did improve as the game went on. Over all he had 7 carries for only 16 yards. He's got some work to do.

The Good:

Alex Boone - I have to start with him because he did a great job IMO. He looked great in pass blocking even with Greg Williams sending the blitzes all game long.

Dobbs - Where did this guy come from? He really made an impression tonight and looks to be in line to have a shot at making the team and possibly getting some situational playing time. He's a guy to keep an eye on.

Ahmad Brooks - There was one point that he made 3 nice tackles in a row. He looked good rushing the passer and fairly solid against the run as well.

Aldon Smith - He looked good tonight. He made a nice sack and had a couple of plays where he forced early throws by Daniel. He struggled at times, but over all he looked fresh.

Donte Whitner - He didn't get much playing time, but made an incredible read breaking up a pass by Drew Brees early in the game.

David Akers - Are you kidding me? He made a 59 yard FG to end the half that was probably the play of the game for us.

Kyle Williams - It was nice to see him get some playing time and made a couple of nice grabs for 34 yards to lead the 49ers in receiving.

Kendall Hunter - He looked the best out of the RB's tonight (besides Gore). He followed his blocking well and broke a nice 13 yard gain on one play. If he improves his pass blocking he should be considered for the number 2 back.

The OL look bad out there? i don't know if they were rusty cause of the lockout but they didn't give smith or kaep anytime to throw the ball...,Do you blame smith for going 2/7 10 yards and a fumble i think this time we can blame the OL. The other smith on the defense side the ball looked great a sack and a force fumble i think he is going to be good a pass rusher the 49ers defense something we needed in a long time. Dobbs? who is this guy came out of no where in showed a lot of promise in this game. i think we will end up making the 53 man roster .

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I didn't get to watch the game. My friend bought a house a couple days ago. Started taring stuff down, and ran into a problem. I was over there all night....

But from the few highlights I have seen, and what you guys have posted. I really do not think we can blame Alex or Kap all that much. It sounds like the o-line was about as good as a high school line.

Does it piss anyone else off that the Saints blitzed like that? Every where I have looked, people have said that isn't done in the first preseason game. I can't really remember ever seeing anything like that before. Not that it matters, our o-line still should have played better.

It sounds like Aldon played very well in his first game. And our defense overall did. I see all the headlines say the saints whipped our butts, but they say nothing about the Saints first team offense was unable to do squat.

On a side note. Go look at the "boards that are not to be named". Man..... it is a sad sad place... :Cry:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's fair to guess that the 49ers just walked into a pride ambush. They had no idea the Saints were still sore about the Seahawks embarrassing them in the playoffs, or that the Saints were interested in sending a message to the NFL about being a punishing defense.

It'll probably backfire, because now whoever they play week 1 knows they fully intend to bring the house on defense.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still having a hard time finding in the rule book that the offense is not allowed to block Roman Harper on blitzes... I'm going to keep trying though!

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I had a few random thoughts. I think we blitzed the Rams last year in pre-season like crazy. Not to the extent of last night but we didn't have a lot of mercy last year. P-Willis was trying to knock QB's out last year.

Also, I found myself watching Mays last night and thinking man this guy just can't put himself in good position. He made one good tackle, but most of the time he looked stuck.

I didn't think Brock did that bad. Missed the beginning of the game when he got burned, but he didn't stick out too bad from what I saw. With the confusion between the CB's and new S's you have to cut him a little slack right now.

The draft picks surprisingly fell in their order. Culliver seemed to fit the bill as a 3rd rounder. I surprisingly liked him better than Hunter, and Hunter didn't look bad. Wouldn't mind replacing Dixon if a better back breaks free.