• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

this Saturday feels so hollow

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this, but the problem here is that our defense is what it is because of our offense. Due to the offensive style the defense needs to be quicker and more athletic, not big and bruisers. Also, again Azzinaro made our defense good the last couple of years, not Alliotti. Now Jerry is gone, alliotti is going to get exposed again.

Not true. It is true that defenses on HUNH offenses are going to be on the field more often and have shorter turnarounds, but to say you cannot play power defense is absurd. First of all you don't need to throw out every player or style of player you have right now. You do need a 'jumbo' package for your D line that can come in in obvious running situations that can hold their own against any offensive line. You don't need to change the secondary or the LB's and you don't have to abandon the speed line, you just need to add to it. Get rid of your DC and find someone with the vision to make it work. That's all that is needed.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. It is true that defenses on HUNH offenses are going to be on the field more often and have shorter turnarounds, but to say you cannot play power defense is absurd. First of all you don't need to throw out every player or style of player you have right now. You do need a 'jumbo' package for your D line that can come in in obvious running situations that can hold their own against any offensive line. You don't need to change the secondary or the LB's and you don't have to abandon the speed line, you just need to add to it. Get rid of your DC and find someone with the vision to make it work. That's all that is needed.

how I wish......but for whatever reason Alliotti is glued to Oregon. No one seems to even touch him. I thought for sure Chip was going to can him as he took over, but instead Chip kept him and brought in his DL coach who seemingly became the DC while here. But still, Nick kept his job.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but from what I have read, Sumlin is one of the top choices for USC at this point. If he goes there then USC will have to change is style of players to fit his style of play. This might take a year or two.

I personally thing Del Rio is the right choice for USC, but with him being interim coach of the Broncos right now with Fox's heart surgery and absence, it might be hard to get him if the Broncos continue to win and get to the Superbowl. If Orgeron keeps winning it might be hard to tell him he has to go too, although I dont think he is the right choice by a long shot.

I'm not saying Sumlin isn't the #1 choice right now, but I wouldn't put any stock in anything that is out there as it is all pure speculation.

Pat Haden is intentionally being closed mouth on this and won't even acknowledge having spoken to anyone.

So far, the #1 choices have been Del Rio, Gruden and now Sumlin. There will likely be 2 or 3 more #1 choices floated out there before Haden actually announces who it is.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon's defense is built around having a lead. Pass rushers and elite secondary.

They wont change. The Ducks very easily could have had an early lead. THey want to take your team out of their offensive game plan early.

The Ducks have a big front d-line. They were simply bested Thursday by a hungrier tougher group of football players.

The Duck's team approach wont change and it has been extremely successful.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys understand we CANT recruit or get the defensive players that can beat Stanford, Alabama, etc. Because it would physically be impossible. Because of our high potent offense and tempo of our offense, we cant have big ol farm boys on our line or LB spots. We need fast, athletic guys because our defense is required to be on the field A LOT. If we had Stanfords defense, those guys would either be dead each game due to the amount of time they are on the field, OR they simply would automatically get smaller because they'd be shedding a lot of pounds with how much they would play.

No OD it can be done, you got remember college roster can hold a ton, so you can have a three to four unit rotation up front, you can find big physical LB's that can withhold fast pace offenses...

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon's defense is built around having a lead. Pass rushers and elite secondary.

They wont change. The Ducks very easily could have had an early lead. THey want to take your team out of their offensive game plan early.

The Ducks have a big front d-line. They were simply bested Thursday by a hungrier tougher group of football players.

yeah, they knew exactly what Stanford was running, I think Shaw even gave a copy of the offensive plan to Oregon as the Ducks knew a run was coming each play, the same run each time, loaded 11 in the box and still gave up 4 yards a carry. It was a woodshed beating.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No OD it can be done, you got remember college roster can hold a ton, so you can have a three to four unit rotation up front, you can find big physical LB's that can withhold fast pace offenses...

enough scholariships to get that many defensive players? We focus too much on defensive guys we lose some offensive players. Also those stud big guys, are they going to commit to only playing a few times a game? when they can go be full time starters elsewhere?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, they knew exactly what Stanford was running, I think Shaw even gave a copy of the offensive plan to Oregon as the Ducks knew a run was coming each play, the same run each time, loaded 11 in the box and still gave up 4 yards a carry. It was a woodshed beating.
\and all of that and Oregon needed 2 more minutes on the clock to win the game.

Or complete the early pass to Huff for a TD.... or hope DAT can hold on to the ball on the 2.... or take a fg.... or convert on 4th n goal.

The offense didnt execute when it had opportunities to do so. Stanford wont offer to many chances. When they do you must capitalize. The Ducks didnt.

^^^ one of these happens it is a different game. 2 happen, Oregon wins, 3 happen Oregon takes Stanford out of the clock bleeding punch you in the mouth run game and forces them to throw a bit more. Falling right into Oregon's defensive strength. Get to the QB and cause INTs.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying Sumlin isn't the #1 choice right now, but I wouldn't put any stock in anything that is out there as it is all pure speculation.

Pat Haden is intentionally being closed mouth on this and won't even acknowledge having spoken to anyone.

So far, the #1 choices have been Del Rio, Gruden and now Sumlin. There will likely be 2 or 3 more #1 choices floated out there before Haden actually announces who it is.

I think Sumlin would be a mistake, his style of offense and lack of defense is clearly not a fit for USC. He is more suited to the Big 12 style of play, but landed at an SEC school and is trying to make it work. So far so good, but it wont always be that way once Johnny(throw it up for grabs) Manziel leaves the team.

I like Del Rio and think he would be a good fit, not sure Gruden is the right choice at all.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are a big pussy

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
enough scholariships to get that many defensive players? We focus too much on defensive guys we lose some offensive players. Also those stud big guys, are they going to commit to only playing a few times a game? when they can go be full time starters elsewhere?

Why not, Bama gets them to do it. Its all in the sale presentation and what your coaches can make them see for themselves. Dont tell a kid he is going to ride the bench, tell him he is going to compete for a spot on a team that is poised to win a title and if he is good enough, he will be in a starting rotation. Not a starter, but a starting rotation.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OD, your defense gave up 26 points on the road. Hardly a total destruction of that unit. Having a better jumbo unit would help on those 3rd and shorts, but that game was totally winnable by your team had they only played their brand off offense. Too many mistakes from a team that isn't known to make any. Add a first year HC and play caller that was simply out coached going down the stretch by one of the best coaches in the conference.

I think if I had told you before that game that Oregon was going to give up 26 points to Stanford you would have taken that and declared that you couldn't have lost that game.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OD, your defense gave up 26 points on the road. Hardly a total destruction of that unit. Having a better jumbo unit would help on those 3rd and shorts, but that game was totally winnable by your team had they only played their brand off offense. Too many mistakes from a team that isn't known to make any. Add a first year HC and play caller that was simply out coached going down the stretch by one of the best coaches in the conference.

I think if I had told you before that game that Oregon was going to give up 26 points to Stanford you would have taken that and declared that you couldn't have lost that game.

DAT even thought 40 was possible:laugh3:

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He did declare they couldn't lose that game.

:laugh3:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did declare they couldn't lose that game.

:laugh3:

Yeah, but the point is their offense had issues all day and those issues were not typical of their play all year. Give credit to Stanford for knocking them out of their game and keeping that offense unbalanced most of that game, but it wasn't lost because of their defense. They lost because of their offense. It's just that those glaring failures of being able to get Stanford off the field on 3rd and short over and over again stick out. They had plenty of times they could have forced them to punt with that defense. Had they had a jumbo package capable of preventing 4 yard runs on the power play they win despite their offensive woes. Still, just don't turn the ball over twice inside the 5 and complete the plays they normally do and they end up winning that thing by a wide margin. So who do you blame for the loss? The answer is it was a little bit of everyone. Offense, defense, and coaching. I mean ffs kick the damned FG. How many years are the ducks going to lose because they either don't kick FG's when they should or flat out miss easy ones? :L Learn from your history duck coaches.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys understand we CANT recruit or get the defensive players that can beat Stanford, Alabama, etc. Because it would physically be impossible. Because of our high potent offense and tempo of our offense, we cant have big ol farm boys on our line or LB spots. We need fast, athletic guys because our defense is required to be on the field A LOT. If we had Stanfords defense, those guys would either be dead each game due to the amount of time they are on the field, OR they simply would automatically get smaller because they'd be shedding a lot of pounds with how much they would play.

For fucks sake, you have the players that can win big time games already.

Do you really need somebody to feed your ego?

Your team is built around speed and a fast-paced offense. It is very VERY successful.

Stanford has punched you in the mouth the last 2 years. Oregon should have won both of those games. You didn't. Don't panic.

You have a helluva a football team and a damn good image. No need to change overnight due to a close loss to Stanford.

Get better. Get tougher. Focus on being better in the trenches.

I wish my team was even in the conversation as being as good as the Ducks.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to beat the Alabama's, Stanfords of the world, Oregon needs to dump the tempo and fast pace offense. Needs to go a bit more traditional. YOu can still run spread, but dump the tempo and focus on getting bigger OL guys and getting a more physical D, rather than the athletic D.

But also of note, Stanford is going to be rebuilding next year, they lose 15 guys on their deep 22 man defense.

OD = Mack Brown

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sumlin would be a mistake, his style of offense and lack of defense is clearly not a fit for USC. He is more suited to the Big 12 style of play, but landed at an SEC school and is trying to make it work. So far so good, but it wont always be that way once Johnny(throw it up for grabs) Manziel leaves the team.

I like Del Rio and think he would be a good fit, not sure Gruden is the right choice at all.

I'm definitely a fan of hiring Del Rio. I wonder how much the John Fox health issues will effect that possibility? If we keep playing like we have been, I wouldn't have a problem if Haden just gives it to Coach O!! He's smart enough to let his assistants actually coach.

I think the name recognition of Gruden would be great and would almost amount to an unfair advantage in recruiting (considering what we usually get anyway). I question how well he makes the transition from the NFL to college.

I agree about Sumlin. If he kept Pendergast as his DC and Orgeron as recruiting coordinator, it might work!! I really like what Pendergast has done with the defense.

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is depressing to you, just wait 'til the CWG and the Beavers put an end of the season stamp on the Ducks by winning it. Stanford will be PAC Champs again and your bowl game won't fix it and you'll have the whole off season to think about it. :omg::lol: