• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Offensive Line sucks!

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. With two first rounders though I think they'll take at least one. They got to.

I'm predicting a QB taken before an OL taken.

That's just how we roll.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the last time we significantly invested in the interior O-Line (Steinbach?). Kramer is right - Mike Brown doesn't value those positions, and that has a negative impact on the field. Center and guard play wins short yardage. We don't have either.

Lance had this on his blog sometime ago (I'm not going to go root it out) but if I remember correctly, the Bengals are one of 4 teams, or something, that have used the most picks in the first 4 rounds on offensive linemen since 2002 or something like that.

The Bengals have addressed the line, the problem lies with re-signing key guys. Letting Steinbach walk was a horrible move, but they had 3 guys to sign at the time, and the other guys in line for new contracts. Jones signed first. Of course, it didn't help that Levi's career was derailed by his knee injury in 2005, in which he returned way too early from and was never able to recover from.

Whit has been solid, though he's not your prototypical LT, he's held his own. Tit's McGee has shown flashes this year, and has overall done a nice job. Too bad it took 3 years to get something out of him. Williams has been a solid player in his time here, but he is clearly done. LG has been a revolving door since Steinbach left, and Center hasn't really improved since losing Richie Braham to a career ending "bone bruise".

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They've drafted some O-linemen..but they do typically wait till the 4th to take the interior guys (and they never work out).

Skinnyfats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the Bengals draft the top RB in the draft it won't help much with the lack of push and holes being opened. I am not a huge fan of Benson but a lot of people are hard on him when the root cause of him sucking is the line.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benson must be replaced in the offseason.

He bitches too much, has no second gear and is one Texas bar brawl away from a lengthy suspension. Got to go.

In a perfect scenario (and it's way too early to tell whom will be where, etc.) the Bengals draft with their first three picks (no particular order):

- Running Back
- Safety
- Interior Lineman

Not advocating drafting for need, just in a "perfect world". Cornerback is a huge concern as well but the other three are high priorities.

My fear is that they are going to point to the drafting of Boling in this year's draft and Otis Hudson in '10 as "addressing the interior" of the line. Not good enough.

I don't have a problem with Livings in a backup role. He should not be starting on a regular basis for an NFL team. Yet...

Last edited by a moderator:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linemen drafted since 02

Levi Jones (1st round tackle)
Eric Steinbach (2nd round guard)
Eric Ghiaciuc (4th round center)
Andrew Whitworth (2nd round tackle)
Anthony Collins (4th round tackle)
Andre Smith (1st round tackle)
Jonathan Luigis (4th round center)
Clint Boling (4th round guard)

Steinbach was good - Got caught up in a numbers game given that we had to re-sign Willie and Levi. That investment didn't work out as we then had to replace both of them less than 3 years later.

Two failed 4th round centers - One was an epic failure.

Two guards taken in the first 4 rounds since Lewis has been here.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't forget Stacy "Franchise" Andrews in 2004.

4th round (pick 123)

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good spot. Forgot about our franchise player.