• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive Line Help

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if we go balls to the wall and see if we can manage to snag Kaleb McGary to play RT for say, $15 million a year over 4 years? We cut Collins to save the $10 million per year and we have to deal with Jonah for another year at almost $13 million. The following year we look to find our LT of the future in the draft, or perhaps Carmen finally realizes his potential and is able to snag the position. We would be able to field the cost of McGary this way, and even reduce cost on offensive line the following year by letting Williams walk. Helps the line immediately, and doesn't blow through much money to keep from signing Burrow and Higgins.

We are losing Pratt and Bates guaranteed.

I really hope we reup Bell for another 2-3 years.

I think there is some mid range FA CB out there we might be able to find at a great value that is trending upwards like Awuzie was. PFF shows him continuing to get better and better but not really broke completely out yet. They you draft one as well.

We resign Hurst at a team friendly deal if he really likes it here, or we move on, but either way we draft a TE in rounds 1 or 2 to either push for a starting job or backup Hurst.

So resign following guys: Bell, Hurst

Sign FA: RT Kaleb McGary, CB Sean Bunting

Let Walk: Bates, Pratt, Collins

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think something like this would be wise. Given Williams contract situation (going into 5th season), injuries (two dislocated knees last year, and ineffectiveness (doesn't seem to be getting better), I don't think you can count on him very long. I don't want to try to solve both tackle positions in the draft given how bad we've been at drafting tackles. I'd favor getting at least one FA that is an immediate starter this year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like a few of the guys that may be available in Rd1 / Rd 2 in the draft. Anton Harrison should be there as well as Dawand Jones of OSU, and Darnell Wright from Tennessee. With Adeniji on board for 1 more year, you still have a guy that can be there - and maybe you still sign a veteran, but with Burrow, Chase, Higgins - you are going to have to hit on some draft picks, and I'm not sure spending the money you save from Collins is enough alone to warrant the contract - though it's not a bad idea.

Where I feel, if you are going to spend, the need is - LT. Williams has not been good enough, is in the last year of his contract, and you just don't know with Carmen. Can he improve from the good showings he had in the playoffs to be an every day starter at LT? I have no issues with Williams and Carman battling, but I also wouldn't have an issue bringing in a true LT who can be a stop gap to give Carman 1 more year to learn the role...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I always want a good TE but maybe they sign bengal friendly contract to HH.
Thats actually very similar to some of my PFF mocks.

I'd look to extend Hayden, but if not, in round 4 there could be some TE's still there. Currently, Josh Whyle of UC is going mostly in the 5th/6th round, but I think he'll shoot up the boards with pro-days. He's a really good TE that can be a threat in the passing game, but is a willing blocker and has size at 260. He could actually play closer to 250ish, and be a bit lighter on his feet...would be a great guy behind HH.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
caps...jeepers

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems they are rolling the dice that Williams comes back healthy and strong.

Hey, the guy was a great player for us. But if they think he's going to good enough to protect burrow and block for perine for 20+ games they are in denial. at least Carman played well as a backup once he got acclimated.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems they are rolling the dice that Williams comes back healthy and strong.

Hey, the guy was a great player for us. But if they think he's going to good enough to protect burrow and block for perine for 20+ games they are in denial. at least Carman played well as a backup once he got acclimated.

I think the fact that they keep flopping Carman around, but can't seem to figure out why he's struggled is the definition of insanity. He's looked the best he ever has at LT - maybe you know, LEAVE HIM AT LT!!! He was at least as good as, and likely better than, Williams last year (granted he played with injury for most of the year, but he wasn't great to start with because he was a RT at Alabama, but again - had to move positions around, right!)

Carman has several years left - why not figure out if he can be your guy going forward, because Williams is not going to be worth the money he will likely get at LT.

Draft a RT in round 1 or 2 (if you can slide back a few spots, even back into the top of 2nd round and pick up an additional 3rd or 4th). Guys like Anton Harrison, Dewand Jones (OSU), or Darnell Wright are all guys who could compete for the RT spot from day 1 (IMO). Cut Collins, let the rookie and Adeniji battle it out for RT, let Williams and Carman battle it out for LT - and that buys you 1 more year to figure out if you need a new LT for next year, or not.

I swear - I really think coaches sometimes just over-think things so much...there isn't a need to move guys around. You drafted a kid who played RT and put him at LT and he's been a below average LT...shocking.

You drafted a LT and moved him to RG, then LG and he's struggled...shocking.

That same LT finally got major reps at, you know, LT and made it look like he knew what he was doing, because you know, he's PLAYED LT ALL HIS F'n LIFE....

Sometimes..........

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the fact that they keep flopping Carman around, but can't seem to figure out why he's struggled is the definition of insanity. He's looked the best he ever has at LT - maybe you know, LEAVE HIM AT LT!!! He was at least as good as, and likely better than, Williams last year (granted he played with injury for most of the year, but he wasn't great to start with because he was a RT at Alabama, but again - had to move positions around, right!)

Carman has several years left - why not figure out if he can be your guy going forward, because Williams is not going to be worth the money he will likely get at LT.

Draft a RT in round 1 or 2 (if you can slide back a few spots, even back into the top of 2nd round and pick up an additional 3rd or 4th). Guys like Anton Harrison, Dewand Jones (OSU), or Darnell Wright are all guys who could compete for the RT spot from day 1 (IMO). Cut Collins, let the rookie and Adeniji battle it out for RT, let Williams and Carman battle it out for LT - and that buys you 1 more year to figure out if you need a new LT for next year, or not.

I swear - I really think coaches sometimes just over-think things so much...there isn't a need to move guys around. You drafted a kid who played RT and put him at LT and he's been a below average LT...shocking.

You drafted a LT and moved him to RG, then LG and he's struggled...shocking.

That same LT finally got major reps at, you know, LT and made it look like he knew what he was doing, because you know, he's PLAYED LT ALL HIS F'n LIFE....

Sometimes..........
It's funny because people don't talk about how they did this with Whitworth as well..... He was drafted in the 2nd round because the scouts said he couldn't play LT. This, even though he didn't give up a sack on the left side his entire senior year. Now, I'm not saying Carman is Whit.... But, like you said, he looked much more like a high draft pick playing LT than he ever did at guard. Maybe guard just didn't make sense to him.

I know this.... He does some things at tackle that you can maximize. His blocks on sweeps and screens for instance were devastating. And the dude is really young. If the light comes on for him, he grows up a bit, takes some coaching, he could be a good ball player.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny because people don't talk about how they did this with Whitworth as well..... He was drafted in the 2nd round because the scouts said he couldn't play LT. This, even though he didn't give up a sack on the left side his entire senior year. Now, I'm not saying Carman is Whit.... But, like you said, he looked much more like a high draft pick playing LT than he ever did at guard. Maybe guard just didn't make sense to him.

I know this.... He does some things at tackle that you can maximize. His blocks on sweeps and screens for instance were devastating. And the dude is really young. If the light comes on for him, he grows up a bit, takes some coaching, he could be a good ball player.
Agreed - and I'm also looking at this long-term as well, which I think the Bengals absolutely have to do with contracts.

Let's face it - Williams hasn't been good at LT. At best, he's average, and probably slightly below average. He's in his last year, and it would make 100% sense, after seeing that Carman at least looked competent at LT in 2 huge playoff games on the road, to let them battle it out. See what you got there. At worst, you end up with a healthy Williams at LT, in a contract year. At best, Carman beats him out, you have a serviceable backup for a year while you get Carman a full year of starting experience. In addition - you get 1 year to decide if LT is a drafting need/FA need while allowing this year to focus on RT which as a more immediate need in both starting quality and depth.

IMO, you cut Collins. His grade was so bad you have to go back 4-5 years to find a guy who graded out worse than he did. His back has shot up his career, and adding a knee injury just makes it even more likely you are not going to get high quality reps out of him. You allow Adeniji to be the RT, there are more options at RT in F/A, plus I think there are multiple guys in round 1/2 that are good enough to at least start as the backup for the year, if not compete right out for the starting spot. Both Jones from OSU and the kid from Tenn look really good - and the OU guy, who is higher ranked, has an insane ceiling, but I question some things about him more than they other two....just me, though.

Long way of saying - keeping Carman at the LT spot opens up a lot of possibilities and frees up the ability to really just focus on the RT spot this year, while also getting a glimpse at the potential future spot at LT - and at least staggering the need to replace both next year with no real continuity in place.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed - and I'm also looking at this long-term as well, which I think the Bengals absolutely have to do with contracts.

Let's face it - Williams hasn't been good at LT. At best, he's average, and probably slightly below average. He's in his last year, and it would make 100% sense, after seeing that Carman at least looked competent at LT in 2 huge playoff games on the road, to let them battle it out. See what you got there. At worst, you end up with a healthy Williams at LT, in a contract year. At best, Carman beats him out, you have a serviceable backup for a year while you get Carman a full year of starting experience. In addition - you get 1 year to decide if LT is a drafting need/FA need while allowing this year to focus on RT which as a more immediate need in both starting quality and depth.

IMO, you cut Collins. His grade was so bad you have to go back 4-5 years to find a guy who graded out worse than he did. His back has shot up his career, and adding a knee injury just makes it even more likely you are not going to get high quality reps out of him. You allow Adeniji to be the RT, there are more options at RT in F/A, plus I think there are multiple guys in round 1/2 that are good enough to at least start as the backup for the year, if not compete right out for the starting spot. Both Jones from OSU and the kid from Tenn look really good - and the OU guy, who is higher ranked, has an insane ceiling, but I question some things about him more than they other two....just me, though.

Long way of saying - keeping Carman at the LT spot opens up a lot of possibilities and frees up the ability to really just focus on the RT spot this year, while also getting a glimpse at the potential future spot at LT - and at least staggering the need to replace both next year with no real continuity in place.
I think the writing is on the wall for Williams. He' just not going to be better than an average LT. I think his performance was covered up a little more when the rest of the line stunk, but this year he really stuck out on some particularly bad plays. And you do have to wonder about injuries with him as he's missed a lot of time in his first 4 years. In retrospect, it might have been better for his career to play a different position - But given where we are with this team, that ship has sailed. I think, best case you're just hoping for a big season in a contract year and then you're moving on.

I agree about Collins. It was worth a shot - They didn't overpay and the contract was really year-to-year. I think the guy gave all sorts of effort, but I think he's damaged goods at this point. Adeneji is servicable if you need him, but I think if he is going to be a starter, you really have to re-think how you're attacking certain situations. For example, game on the line, Chris Jones lined up over him, maybe have the ability to check to something that will help with protection. Line play is only one part of the equation for why they have failed in these situations.... The other part is the coaching staff not acknowledging the issue and not making the necessary adjustments to prevent the problem.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the writing is on the wall for Williams. He' just not going to be better than an average LT. I think his performance was covered up a little more when the rest of the line stunk, but this year he really stuck out on some particularly bad plays. And you do have to wonder about injuries with him as he's missed a lot of time in his first 4 years. In retrospect, it might have been better for his career to play a different position - But given where we are with this team, that ship has sailed. I think, best case you're just hoping for a big season in a contract year and then you're moving on.

I agree about Collins. It was worth a shot - They didn't overpay and the contract was really year-to-year. I think the guy gave all sorts of effort, but I think he's damaged goods at this point. Adeneji is servicable if you need him, but I think if he is going to be a starter, you really have to re-think how you're attacking certain situations. For example, game on the line, Chris Jones lined up over him, maybe have the ability to check to something that will help with protection. Line play is only one part of the equation for why they have failed in these situations.... The other part is the coaching staff not acknowledging the issue and not making the necessary adjustments to prevent the problem.
Exactly.

Leave Carman at LT - you are set at least for this year, and you get to see if he can stick going forward. That allows the focus to be on the RT, either in F/A, or in the draft. Again - I'd be OK with taking any number of guys at 28 for the RT spot. Honestly, I'd love to trade back just a few spots, but it's got to work. A lot of depth in those 3rd and 4th rounds for other positions, and as the contracts come due, the draft has to hit - the way you hedge those bets is by gaining more picks.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Leave Carman at LT - you are set at least for this year, and you get to see if he can stick going forward. That allows the focus to be on the RT, either in F/A, or in the draft. Again - I'd be OK with taking any number of guys at 28 for the RT spot. Honestly, I'd love to trade back just a few spots, but it's got to work. A lot of depth in those 3rd and 4th rounds for other positions, and as the contracts come due, the draft has to hit - the way you hedge those bets is by gaining more picks.

Depending on how FA and draft goes, he may very well win the starting roll by week 1 anyway.

I know Jonah was playing hurt last season, and he had surgery, but I don't suspect he'll be 100% from the get-go. hell, if we let him play a reserve roll, he may get back to his old self.