• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Think Kobe isn't retiring after next season? Think again.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he told me when I bought it from him that he's 95% sure that this season will be his last.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All kidding aside. This is likely Kobe's last season. I could see him coming back for one more year if the following occurs.

1.) He is able to play at a high level and stay healthy this coming season. I'd say, approximately 28-30 minutes per game and playing about 65 or so games (sitting out one of the games of back to backs and a few other against lesser teams).

2.) The Lakers as a whole, play well and make a solid playoff run (at least 2nd round).

3.) They are able to add another FA, after this coming season, who can put them "over the top" and make them a true contender.

If any 1 of the above don't happen, then I think he definitely hangs them up after this season.

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All kidding aside. This is likely Kobe's last season. I could see him coming back for one more year if the following occurs.

1.) He is able to play at a high level and stay healthy this coming season. I'd say, approximately 28-30 minutes per game and playing about 65 or so games (sitting out one of the games of back to backs and a few other against lesser teams).

2.) The Lakers as a whole, play well and make a solid playoff run (at least 2nd round).

3.) They are able to add another FA, after this coming season, who can put them "over the top" and make them a true contender.

If any 1 of the above don't happen, then I think he definitely hangs them up after this season.

Sadly, I have to agree, all good things must come to an end. I don't see him coming back next year, mostly because I don't think the Lake Show is capable of making a playoff run this year. Best case scenario for them anyways is probably:

1. Hope Minnesota selects Okafor so the they can grab Towns at #2.
2. Somehow keep their pick next year (I forget the protection) and add one more piece.

If they're going to contend in the next few years they'll need Randle and Towns to pan out, and for a superstar FA to want to join them. Then they're back in business.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, I have to agree, all good things must come to an end. I don't see him coming back next year, mostly because I don't think the Lake Show is capable of making a playoff run this year. Best case scenario for them anyways is probably:

1. Hope Minnesota selects Okafor so the they can grab Towns at #2.
2. Somehow keep their pick next year (I forget the protection) and add one more piece.

If they're going to contend in the next few years they'll need Randle and Towns to pan out, and for a superstar FA to want to join them. Then they're back in business.

The Lakers could make the playoffs IF Towns/Okafor make an immediate impact, Randle is the player everyone thinks he is, Clarkson continues to develop, Kobe stays healthy and plays well and they can add at least one very good to top level FA. It might be a big ask to make all of that happen, but it's a possibility. The biggest potential issue, outside of Kobe sustaining another injury, would be inexperience.

I believe next years pick is top 3 protected. Even if the Lakers don't make the playoffs next year (just like the last couple of seasons, even 50 wins may not be enough in the West), if they stay healthy, I don't see them finishing with a bad enough record to keep a top 3 pick.

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers could make the playoffs IF Towns/Okafor make an immediate impact, Randle is the player everyone thinks he is, Clarkson continues to develop, Kobe stays healthy and plays well and they can add at least one very good to top level FA. It might be a big ask to make all of that happen, but it's a possibility. The biggest potential issue, outside of Kobe sustaining another injury, would be inexperience.

I believe next years pick is top 3 protected. Even if the Lakers don't make the playoffs next year (just like the last couple of seasons, even 50 wins may not be enough in the West), if they stay healthy, I don't see them finishing with a bad enough record to keep a top 3 pick.

You're right in that those things could happen. It's just asking a lot. I'm a huge Kobe fan, always have been, so I'd love to see him get a last shot in the postseason, but as you pointed out, it's a long shot.

That being said, if they miss the postseason, they'll at least have a chance to keep that pick. It might not be a great chance, but a chance nonetheless. That might be a better outcome if you're looking toward the future. I'm thinking the Lakers will somewhere in the 35-40 win realm next year, but who knows.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont know, the West is very deep. I just dont see anything happening with this roster even if Okafor/Towns play well. I guess it depends what they do in FA this year, I think they are saving up mainly for 2016 though.

And the way Kobe has been he might not even play a half season, other injuries happen and misfortunes then they have to wait another season. They could end up having another bottom 5 team, you never know, but even with a healthy roster right now no playoffs looks to be fair.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right in that those things could happen. It's just asking a lot. I'm a huge Kobe fan, always have been, so I'd love to see him get a last shot in the postseason, but as you pointed out, it's a long shot.

That being said, if they miss the postseason, they'll at least have a chance to keep that pick. It might not be a great chance, but a chance nonetheless. That might be a better outcome if you're looking toward the future. I'm thinking the Lakers will somewhere in the 35-40 win realm next year, but who knows.

Yeah, 35-40 wins is right about where I'd have them if they stay healthy. Regardless of how good Towns/Okafor and Randle might be, they'd be relying heavily on essentially 2 rookies and a 2nd year player (Clarkson). There will be growing pains.

If they can grab a top FA from this class, then I could see them getting up into the 50 win range (like 45-50). I think they are going to try and get a top or at least very good FA this year. But I think they really have their sites set for 2017 when Westbrook is a UFA and the cap has gone way up. Westbrook is from L.A., so he may want to come in and take over from Kobe.

Yeah, they might have a shot at keeping that top 3 pick, but if they stay healthy and win the number of games they should if they do and they kept that pick..........even Lakers fans would have to admit the lottery is rigged. :lol:

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 35-40 wins is right about where I'd have them if they stay healthy. Regardless of how good Towns/Okafor and Randle might be, they'd be relying heavily on essentially 2 rookies and a 2nd year player (Clarkson). There will be growing pains.

If they can grab a top FA from this class, then I could see them getting up into the 50 win range (like 45-50). I think they are going to try and get a top or at least very good FA this year. But I think they really have their sites set for 2017 when Westbrook is a UFA and the cap has gone way up. Westbrook is from L.A., so he may want to come in and take over from Kobe.

Yeah, they might have a shot at keeping that top 3 pick, but if they stay healthy and win the number of games they should if they do and they kept that pick..........even Lakers fans would have to admit the lottery is rigged. :lol:
Yeah, who are you hoping for in this FA class?

I would think Butler would be a good fit.........if you keep with your thought process, and add Westbrook next year that would be

Westbrook/Clarkson
Butler
Whoever
Randle
Towns or Okafor

That's a good team right there.

And they would probably have the space to add another decent player to that group.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, who are you hoping for in this FA class?

I would think Butler would be a good fit.........if you keep with your thought process, and add Westbrook next year that would be

Westbrook/Clarkson
Butler
Whoever
Randle
Towns or Okafor

That's a good team right there.

And they would probably have the space to add another decent player to that group.

For this FA. It depends on who they take in the draft. Assuming they take Towns or Okafor, then I'd like to see them target Dragic (although I think he stays in Miami) and/or Butler. If they don't get either of them, unlike most Lakers fans, I wouldn't hate it if they took a flyer on Rondo on a short term (1-2 seasons) "prove it" type contract at around $10 million per year.

Personally, if Minny takes Towns, I'd like to see them draft DeAngelo Russell and target a big like Gasol, Aldridge, or Monroe. There is also a rumor about a possible trade with the Kings for Cousins, although I think their asking price might be too high (reported to likely be the #2 pick and Randle).

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this FA. It depends on who they take in the draft. Assuming they take Towns or Okafor, then I'd like to see them target Dragic (although I think he stays in Miami) and/or Butler. If they don't get either of them, unlike most Lakers fans, I wouldn't hate it if they took a flyer on Rondo on a short term (1-2 seasons) "prove it" type contract at around $10 million per year.

Personally, if Minny takes Towns, I'd like to see them draft DeAngelo Russell and target a big like Gasol, Aldridge, or Monroe. There is also a rumor about a possible trade with the Kings for Cousins, although I think their asking price might be too high (reported to likely be the #2 pick and Randle).

Dragic is sneaky good......I like that choice. Underrated player. I'm not sure Rondo has much left in the tank, and depending on you feel about Clarkson he could be hurting his development.

Russell looks like he could be a decent player, but I think I would take a chance on Mudiay first. When it comes to NBA I'm all about upside.

As for the bigs, Gasol and LA would be huge gets, I'm not big on Monroe. He's okay, but he just doesn't do it for me. If Towns goes one I would personally jump at the chance to add Cousins. I would love for the Wiz to be able to trade for him. I love that guy. He can be a knucklehead but he's so good.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe's been in the league, since I was 7. It will be so weird without him.

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah man, I'm a bit older than that, but he's been around a LONG time. Definitely my favorite player to watch over the past 15 years.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember reading an article in USA Today about this skinny high school kid deciding to go pro. I thought the kid was crazy and was going to be in for a rude awaking. Glad Jerry saw how great he could be. That was a long ass time ago.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How are they going to bring in UFA's when they would have to pay Kobe probably more money for 1 more season than he's making this year? I view it like this, if the Lakers offer Kobe a big raise for next season he'll be back. If they don't he won't.

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading an article in USA Today about this skinny high school kid deciding to go pro. I thought the kid was crazy and was going to be in for a rude awaking. Glad Jerry saw how great he could be. That was a long ass time ago.

Have you watching the "Muse" on Showtime? It's a great documentary if you haven't, shows a lot of his HS clips.