• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Seahawks' Secret Hero Is A Kicker Who Didn't Want To Kick

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
121004-hauschka-480.jpg

Lost in all the fuss over Shermaggedon is that Russell Wilson, still a sophomore, has some enormous balls. While Colin Kaepernick fell apart in the fourth, Wilson stepped up, avoiding turnovers and tossing what would be the game-winner, a 35-yard strike to Jermaine Kearse. But it almost didn't happen, and Seattle can thank its kicker for knowing his limits.

Down four and facing a fourth-and-7 in San Francisco territory, the Seahawks sent the field goal unit out. But Steven Hauschka didn't like his chances of making what would have been a 53-yard try.

"I didn't really want to kick it, to tell you the truth," Hauschka told Newsday after the game. "It was into the wind . . . I didn't think it was the right decision and I let coach Carroll know that."

Hauschka said he'd never before passed up an opportunity to attempt a field goal.

"You have to be honest with yourself," he said. "It was the wind at that moment. Sometimes you can make that, but I felt the wind at that moment was into the face enough to not want to try that kick. I grabbed him on the sideline as I ran out because I could see the flags [on top of the uprights] and I told him: 'We shouldn't kick this.'"
Heh, "we."

Whether it was due to Hauschka's reticence, we'll never know, but Pete Carroll called a timeout. Upon reconsidering, he sent the offense back out to try and pick up the first down. You know what happened next:

[YOUTUBE]FfBcxLrm-gY[/YOUTUBE]

We'll of course never know what would have happened had Hauschka attempted the kick, or how the game would have gone from there. But there's a lesson in here, probably. Always give 110 percent. Always believe in yourself. Fifty-three yards into the wind? F that. And that's how you make the Super Bowl.

The Seahawks' Secret Hero Is A Kicker Who Didn't Want To Kick

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting, cause I wondered what was so wrong with the field goal unit prior to the time out. It's also a huge bump to Carroll for listening to his players about this kind've thing. It worked out perfectly for Seattle.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And ya know if the guy would of went out there and missed it.... he would of never lived it down!!!
That took guts on his part!!!

:clap:

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And ya know if the guy would of went out there and missed it.... he would of never lived it down!!!
That took guts on his part!!!

:clap:

so sad your team is not in this one....run along.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so sad your team is not in this one....run along.

Say as you wish, could care less... got 6????

Been pulling for your team from the start of the playoffs....
Had a good friend pass away that never had the chance to see the Hawks win one...
and because he was a good person, I will ignore your bitterness because of your XL loss!!!

And Banned 10x, best of luck to your team in the Big Dance!!!
Love the avi btw

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say as you wish, could care less... got 6????

Been pulling for your team from the start of the playoffs....
Had a good friend pass away that never had the chance to see the Hawks win one...
and because he was a good person, I will ignore your bitterness because of your XL loss!!!

And Banned 10x, best of luck to your team in the Big Dance!!!
Love the avi btw

I guess I misinterpreted what you meant by it taking guts. I thought you meant it sarcastically, like, it took so much guts to not attempt a kick that could be one he would never live down.

I guess you meant it took guts to tell the coach he didn't think they should kick it.

Sorry about that.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I misinterpreted what you meant by it taking guts. I thought you meant it sarcastically, like, it took so much guts to not attempt a kick that could be one he would never live down.

I guess you meant it took guts to tell the coach he didn't think they should kick it.

Sorry about that.

Yes, That's what I meant. Its all good!!!

Good luck to your Hawks in the Big Dance!!!

:yahoo:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not know why but i was always so nervous when Hauschka kicked. I never trusted him to make the clutch kicks. It was nothing against him i just thought he was average. After the season he had i started to trust him but i still was uncomfortable every time he kicked. That is gone now. I trust him completely now all because of this play. He showed me something and that is he will do only what he knows he can do and doesn't care about stats. He put the team before himself and that takes balls for a kicker. He is a player not just a kicker, he is part of this machine and with out him it doesn't work as well. Thank you for showing me i was wrong about you Hauschka.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a forgotten hero this year, wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Hauschka. Ice in veins....