• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Seahawks have given up

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I second this

We got a good haul for an aging QB. I'm happy for all parties. Hope we crush Denver next year.
Aging QB? 33 is an older player at the QB position...in 1974. But if you noticed lately, you're getting really high level play from the top QBs well into their late 30s and even early 40s. Russell is 5 years younger than Aaron Rodgers, who is about to the highest paid player ever.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt that it is hard to hit on a QB, but got to try right? I was a bit worried about RW regressing now that he lost his quickness and wasn't a proven pocket passer despite a good arm. I want to try to let things play out and see what happens before becoming depressed.
Wilson was great and he still may have some good years left ....but he is an Hourglass.

Paying big money and picks when you don't know when the sand will run out is more risky than finding
a young cheap talent that can win you some games. ...but this is just my opinion.

And my hunch is that Wilson will struggle in a system where everything is different.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aging QB? 33 is an older player at the QB position...in 1974. But if you noticed lately, you're getting really high level play from the top QBs well into their late 30s and even early 40s. Russell is 5 years younger than Aaron Rodgers, who is about to the highest paid player ever.
35 is the average for the QB decline to start.

But there are always guys who buck the trend.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but mobile qbs don't have the same shelf life. As Russ slows down he'll have to survive as a pocket passer, which I don't think is going to work out so well for him.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder of the top 6 QBs drafted in the past 8 years. I'll skip last year as it is too early

Joe Burrow
Tua Taigavoloa
Kyler Murray
Daniel Jones
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Mitch Trubisky
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles

If you expand it out to top 10 and that does include Mahomes and Josh Allen but also Josh Rosen
How many have went as far as Russ in the playoffs since they entered the league?

Burrow lost SB
Goff lost SB
Wentz won a SB while hurt
Bortles AFC title game
Tua, Kyler, Baker, Trubs, Mariota all playoff QB's

Wilson 2 playoff wins since 2015

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting to watch people try to discredit Russell to justify the trade. It's ok to say Russell is a great qb and at the same time this is a good move to make.

What this does is put us back at 2011. It would be interesting to see if the team tries to resurrect the always compete mantra they had with the huge number of transactions they did Pete's first 2 years, or if they will try to leverage their newfound cap space to take a short cut and hope to field a high priced veteran team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many have went as far as Russ in the playoffs since they entered the league?

Burrow lost SB
Goff lost SB
Wentz won a SB while hurt
Bortles AFC title game
Tua, Kyler, Baker, Trubs, Mariota all playoff QB's

Wilson 2 playoff wins since 2015

1/4 of the league makes the playoffs every year.

Having a top tier QB gives you a chance every year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but mobile qbs don't have the same shelf life. As Russ slows down he'll have to survive as a pocket passer, which I don't think is going to work out so well for him.
I think we've already seen Russell's mobility decline quite a bit, and it hasn't really cut into his overall performance/numbers. It's been several years since his last backside spin out of the pocket, and he definitely doesn't take off as much as he used to (read option anyway). He isn't a great athlete that they decided to put at QB like Lamar Jackson or Vince Young or Vick. He's a great QB who is also a really good athlete, like Steve Young (who played until he was 38).

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting to watch people try to discredit Russell to justify the trade. It's ok to say Russell is a great qb and at the same time this is a good move to make.
discrediting? its just accepting reality. wilson had some great years but the fact is he has lost his elusiveness and that has exposed his lack of height. he cant throw over the middle and he cant throw screen passes. the below link shows this:

greg olson was on with colin cowturd and he straight up said the team felt like it couldnt do certain things and I have to believe thats because of wilsons height.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
discrediting? its just accepting reality. wilson had some great years but the fact is he has lost his elusiveness and that has exposed his lack of height. he cant throw over the middle and he cant throw screen passes. the below link shows this:

greg olson was on with colin cowturd and he straight up said the team felt like it couldnt do certain things and I have to believe thats because of wilsons height.
1646934267936.png

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, I'm well aware of you're opinion - I disregard it on the face. You've long been a complainer and there really isn't anything Russell could've done to prove that he's a capable QB. The below link doesn't show what you think it shows, and I really couldn't care if he was proficient at throwing screen passes or whatever else you've concocted in your mind.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the sour grapes stuff I've seen/heard around radio & social media the last couple days is funny. Good is good. You can't argue with a straight face against RW's productivity or W/L. Nearly unprecedented.

What this does is put us back at 2011. It would be interesting to see if the team tries to resurrect the always compete mantra they had with the huge number of transactions they did Pete's first 2 years, or if they will try to leverage their newfound cap space to take a short cut and hope to field a high priced veteran team.

I agree, and this makes me worried. I just don't think we can catch lightning in a bottle again like we did in '10/'11/'12 with those amazing draft picks and FA signings. I would have much greater confidence about the road ahead had we kept RW and moved on from those above him.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we've already seen Russell's mobility decline quite a bit, and it hasn't really cut into his overall performance/numbers. It's been several years since his last backside spin out of the pocket, and he definitely doesn't take off as much as he used to (read option anyway). He isn't a great athlete that they decided to put at QB like Lamar Jackson or Vince Young or Vick. He's a great QB who is also a really good athlete, like Steve Young (who played until he was 38).
I think his last good season will be at age 36

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are Russell's best years a head of him - or behind him?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his last good season will be at age 36

So 4 more good seasons? He just turned 33 in Nov. Denver probably hopes for more, but that's not bad. I think I would take the over, however.
Are Russell's best years a head of him - or behind him?
We are about to find out. He's posted 4 consecutive seasons of 100+ passer rating, and some people say he's struggled these last couple seasons (I partly agree but mostly not). Denver has good WRs. I bet if they have a competent OL, he'll continue right along at over 100 passer rating for several more years.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 4 more good seasons? He just turned 33 in Nov. Denver probably hopes for more, but that's not bad. I think I would take the over, however.

We are about to find out. He's posted 4 consecutive seasons of 100+ passer rating, and some people say he's struggled these last couple seasons (I partly agree but mostly not). Denver has good WRs. I bet if they have a competent OL, he'll continue right along at over 100 passer rating for several more years.

We will also find out if Russ benefited from Pete's game plans or was hindered by them.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how many first round picks total does Seattle have for this year?

Everything I read says 1 ....I'm confused by that.