• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Positives

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I find it disgusting that Hurdle already has stated that Barmes is the starting SS for 2013. IMO, that is NOT a "positive."

See under "Crowded Outfield" in this article at the P-G:

Hitting coach Ritchie is due to leave - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I dont mean to sound apologetic toward barmes at all but his defense was pretty fair and he wouldnt have seemed like such a problem if we had gotten better production from the corner outfield and especially if we hadn't added barajas at the same time.

I think we have more serious issues to contend with. Let barmes have the job, try to upgrade the pitching staff instead. If hanson continues to kill it then we will have an internal option to look forward to.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly, Barmes was statistically the best defensive shortstop in the National League this year, so he does at least have that going for him.

As Illinest said, offensive upgrades elsewhere make him passable at shortstop, and given the list of free agent shortstops this year, and given how weak our upper minors are in terms of middle infielders, he very well may be the best option we have.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My positive out of the season is that it seams the Pirates now have a legit star in McCutchen for a long period of time.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
MLB Trade Rumors has the Pirates in on Josh Hamilton.

That gave me my chcukle for the day.

My guess would be more of the likes of Barmes and Barajas.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The New TV deals are going to be a windfall of all 30 teams | HardballTalk

http://www.piratesprospects.com/201...irates-need-for-a-legitimate-lineup.html?wt=2

The first link shows the impending financial windfall for all 30 teams. Now let me say that this is the closest we are ever going to get to a salary cap. In essence this means that the Pirates and all of the other teams have a relatively larger percentage of their revenue coming from tv deals that are split equally between the teams. The Pirates are going to be able to spend an extra 25-40 million in absolute terms.
So instead of the Pirates getting outspent by 60 million compared to 120 million (50% as much money on payroll) the Pirates will be outspent 90 compared to 150 million (60% as much). Getting closer to parity.

The other link comes from the Pirates Prospects website. I think it's fodder for discussion.
I looked at the top three categories and I noted that top teams generally have 6 or 7 hitters that rank as good or better. Bad teams generally have 2,3 or 4 hitters that rank as good or better.

The Pirates this year had 3 in the good or better category. I think it is imperative that we up that figure to 4 at a minimum.

Combine these two together and you have the case for making a free agent signing of some sort.