• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Positives

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of sick of wallowing in the misery.......so I was looking for some positives from this team, long term positives, short term positives, whatever.

Aside from the obvious, ie McCutchen having a MVP caliber season and Pedro getting back on track.

I was surprised to look at the stats tonight and see Gaby Sanchez with a .800 OPS as a Pirate. I haven't been watching the games the past month very much, which has been good for my health, but his .272/.353/.447 is right in line with his career norms. Maybe he actually did need a change of scenery. If he proves to be an .800 OPS first basemen with an above average glove, it would be a tremendous coup for the organization.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burnett was a pleasant surprise this year. We have at least one quality starter for next season thanks to him.

Snider was good until he got hurt. I think he honestly just lost his rhythm, but his upside is nice. I agree on Sanchez, a very underrated acquisition.

It looks like Rodriguez is at least going to consistently give us a chance to win ball games next year, too.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that Presley, Tabata, Snider, Jones, and Marte are vying for 2 OF spots, and all seem like capable major league players in one form or another. Which is nice to have since they don't have to waste time/resources to find a fourth OF, since they already have 4 of them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that Presley, Tabata, Snider, Jones, and Marte are vying for 2 OF spots, and all seem like capable major league players in one form or another. Which is nice to have since they don't have to waste time/resources to find a fourth OF, since they already have 4 of them.

Agreed. Tabata really picked it up after his recall and started to look capable again. At the very least, his speed, defense, and ability to get on base will be useful off the bench, even if he doesn't have the power or consistency to be an everyday starter.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the Pirates can make a serious run next year if they get a real C and a #2 Starter.

Oh it won't be cheap but it's clearly time now. Show some faith Nuts. Spend 25 million now and get it back in the playoffs.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Am I crazy or does it look like there's actually a decent class of Catchers and Starting Pitchers hitting the market this year? The iron is hot Nuts and Neil. Strike now.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I value bottom-line results. Hence, the biggest positives I see are:

- No matter how the Pirates finish, they already have 4 more wins than last year.

- Whether he wins the batting title or not, Cutch has put up a very nice overall season.

- Burnett proved to be a good addition in terms of both performance and leadership.

- Deadline acquisitions of Rodriguez, Snider, and Sanchez contributed and show promise for the future.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I crazy or does it look like there's actually a decent class of Catchers and Starting Pitchers hitting the market this year? The iron is hot Nuts and Neil. Strike now.

I get the feeling pitching will be a significant target, as well as maybe short stop, but that we're going to hold off on catcher and see if Fort and Sanchez can cut it back there, at least for one season. I think Fort is a fringe starter right now, and we can get by with him as our everyday catcher if we upgrade at shortstop instead, and Sanchez should be at least no worse than a solid backup.

Shortstop, though, is completely barren. Unfortunately, I don't believe the free agent market is good for short stops this year (which is pretty typical of the league recently, in all honesty), so we will probably have to make a trade.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's how i see it. Go hard after Napoli. If you get him then you've got a guy who can catch about 50% of your games, play a lot of 1B and then DH when we get to interleague play. If you have napoli then the hole at SS isnt such a big deal. It means Jones is available to play the outfield more. Not that Jones is a stellar fielder but his bat plays in RF.
As for the rotation - we need a pitcher. Wandy burnett and karstens are pretty sure things and mcdonald will get a chance to fix his issues but youve got a bunch of 4 and 5 types to choose from and few options for the much more important top of the rotation. If we can sign a quality starter for the top of the rotation then the bottom half will also be stronger.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we need a #2 starter. nothing less. if we can get an ace, well of course.
please dont spend medium money on bedard or correia.
go the extra cash and get a real horse.
then like illinest says, the whole rotation is better.

our pen will be fine when not overused and when used correctly.
burnett, karstens, wandy, mcD, FA stud. then we still have cole, morton, mcpherson, locke, leroux, vanderhuk, etc for injury support.

CF - cutch
LF/RF - Marte, Presley, Snider, Tabata, Jones
3B - Pedro
2B - walker (could he be trade bait if we think holt is the elusive leadoff guy we need and good enough at 2B deensively) this is where our internal scouting is so key!
1B - i like sanchez spelling jones, or if jones has to play RF because none of the others can take the ball and produce.

all our positions will be improved except CF where cutch was another world.
can we get by with a holt, brmes, mercer, harrison, navarro, nunez platoon at short. can mcK handle 125 games behind the plate.

whichever we say NO to, that is our demand, then see if demand matches supply via trading some pieces of our many #4 OF.

except for backup C, our bench should be pretty good with our OF and utility people like harrison, navarro, + mercer, hague.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not getting my hopes up on acquiring someone good who will also cost a lot (ie James Sheilds, Mike Napoli), I don't see it happening. I think the best chance the team has of acquiring a top of the rotation starter is the development of Gerrit Cole.

As far as catcher, I don't know what the answer is.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is a positive, we will pick 9th and 14th in next years draft. Unfortunately as of today it looks like a pretty weak draft after Appel. Any bets on wether we pick Austin Kubitza or not?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a positive, we will pick 9th and 14th in next years draft. Unfortunately as of today it looks like a pretty weak draft after Appel. Any bets on wether we pick Austin Kubitza or not?

Did they draft him three years ago?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes they did and he should be a legit first round pick this year.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a site with a FA list online somewhere? I agree with the overall mentality of spending money on select few elite instead of multiple mediocre. The positives to the past few seasons include making a name for Pittsburgh baseball on a national level. Players won't be nearly as hesitant to come here as they may have been a few years ago.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catchers
Rod Barajas (37) - $3.5MM club option, no buyout
Henry Blanco (41) - $1.24MM mutual option
Chris Iannetta (30) - $5MM club option with a $250K buyout; player can void
Gerald Laird (33)
Russell Martin (30)
Brian McCann (29) - $12MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jose Molina (37) - $1.5MM club option with a $300K buyout
Mike Napoli (31)
Wil Nieves (35)
Miguel Olivo (34) - $3MM club option with a $750K buyout
Ronny Paulino (32)
A.J. Pierzynski (36)
Humberto Quintero (33)
David Ross (36)
Carlos Ruiz (34) - $5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Brian Schneider (36)
Kelly Shoppach (33)
Chris Snyder (32) - $4MM mutual option for 2013 with a $500K buyout
Yorvit Torrealba (34)
Matt Treanor (37)

Interesting list. Of course I see multiple of those guys getting their option. *thinks longingly of Brian McCann*

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shortstops
Jason Bartlett (33)
Yuniesky Betancourt (31)
Ronny Cedeno (30)
Stephen Drew (30) - $10MM mutual option with a $1.35MM buyout
Alex Gonzalez (35) - $4MM vesting option. Details here.
Cesar Izturis (33)
Jhonny Peralta (31) - $6MM club option with a $500K buyout
Marco Scutaro (37)
Omar Vizquel (46)

Meh.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I believe he has to sign a waiver to be eligible to be drafted again by the Pirates.

I think that rule only applies to being drafted by the same team in successive years. There have been a few players we have drafted twice Maat Curry is the only one I can think of right now though. Regardless, he would be silly not to sign the waiver since he is probably a mid to late first round pick and if the Pirates are showing interrest early in the first, take the money.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hurdle has already said that the only competitions next spring will be for the 2 corner outfield spots.
1B - Jones/Sanchez
2B - Wlaker
3B - Pedro
SS - Barmes
C - McKenry
CF - Cutch

LF and RF will be a battle with 4 options. Presley, Marte, Snider, and Tabata.

If there are to be upgrades tot his team this offseason, it will come in the form of pitching. Then again, I don't think he actually said names for those 2 positions, so a trade isn't out of the question to fill one of those spots.